New duramax rods iv been working on

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
We like cold hard facts.

You say the best material, what kind?

How much compression / tension load are these designed to handle?

Have you had them machine tested, and compared to a stock rod?

Why only the Arp 2000 style bolts? Might as well run the best you can.

The whole Duramax tuner rod deal was a disaster from the word go, nick designed those to handle a touch over 3000psi cylinder pressure, because he "thought" that was a safe number. Too bad nobody stepped in and told him a stock truck almost does that!

Pootrol

Aug 24, 2015
they are forged 4340. we used arp2000 bolts as thats what we had availible. they where designed buy someone who has been building rods for over 8 years and to take the punishment.

Pootrol

Aug 24, 2015
im not phased what duramax tuner did we started with a blank canvas and this is what we have come up with iv got them in 3 engines 1 running so ill keep anyone who is interested updated i just wanted anothet alternative to hugely over priced diesel parts

Stancedlb7

Cummin Stroke this Duramax
Feb 9, 2015
SLC, UTAH
I'd be interested in trying a set. But like everyone else has stated "we NEED proof"! Lets get some pics of your engine build with rods in the short block. A dyno sheet of the truck running these. A good quarter mile pass. Then tear that block apart and show us how they held up. Until then GLWS...

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
at the moment ill rate these to 1000 fwhp as thats what we have them at to keep people happy.

So you claim to have broken a set of Manley rods and Carrillo rods and you're solution is to design a rod that will hold a whooping 1000 flywheel horsepower??

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
I'd be interested in trying a set. But like everyone else has stated "we NEED proof"! Lets get some pics of your engine build with rods in the short block. A dyno sheet of the truck running these. A good quarter mile pass. Then tear that block apart and show us how they held up. Until then GLWS...
Agreeing with this guy. It's going to be hard to get a lot of us convinced. Not enough numbers and facts to make us intrested yet. Like said above, need dyno test and a couple 1/4 mile passes and a tear down. Or do like what was also already mentioned and send them to a reputable shop and have them see what they think. Your going to have to give a few sets away to get your foot in the door, let people that deal with these engines everyday try a set and see what they think.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Hey I'll try anything once :rofl:

Keep us posted, but you need to understand where the rest of us are coming from. New things are what make the rest better.

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013
Maybe you would like to share a bit about your background/experience. It's a little hard to believe that somebody just goes out and buys all these brand new tooling and mouldings to make 100 sets of duramax rods...are you currently manufacturing rods for other vehicles?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
While I applaude you for trying to make something to combat the cost of building one of these engines, IMO rods are the single most important piece and nothing about them can/should be taken lightly. Its too damn expensive.
So far, Ive seen no facts presented about the composition of these rods, no proof of prior testing being done, no data from testing, no comparison data, etc....and you wonder why the older members here are skeptical?
These arent going to fly if you are expecting potential customers to be your test beds. You have to do all that yourself before you can/should sell even your first set, otherwise heaven help your first few customers.

Pootrol

Aug 24, 2015
i am testing them myself bud have been for a few months ill post data up i thought id just get them out there and see if anyone else would like a look i have all test data from for rod bolts and material composition that i got done all while making these rods. it was just hey lets make some cheap shit rods i wanted them to work and be an option if people wanted to try them out i mean hell there only 300 cheaper then the brian crower rods

Pootrol

Aug 24, 2015
Maybe you would like to share a bit about your background/experience. It's a little hard to believe that somebody just goes out and buys all these brand new tooling and mouldings to make 100 sets of duramax rods...are you currently manufacturing rods for other vehicles?

i have felt with the people making the rods for years i my self am a first class machinest a coded welder and a qualified mechanical fitter. it took me 6 months to convince them i wanted a forged billet not just a billet rod like duramax tuners where

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
i am testing them myself bud have been for a few months ill post data up i thought id just get them out there and see if anyone else would like a look i have all test data from for rod bolts and material composition that i got done all while making these rods. it was just hey lets make some cheap shit rods i wanted them to work and be an option if people wanted to try them out i mean hell there only 300 cheaper then the brian crower rods
as has been already said, these things need to go to an independent third party shop. they need to be beat on at high power for a few dozen track passes, pulls, or dyno runs, as well as undergo long term street usage before they can be given a pass. I'm sorry, but you running them yourself at a claimed 800hp is not a verifiable test.

surely you could find a well known shop to test a set and even become a dealer if it goes well. but I highly doubt they are going to pay for your r and d.

good luck with them, I really do hope that they are a viable cheap alternative, I just think you are jumping the gun by giving them any power rating at all at this time.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
i have felt with the people making the rods for years i my self am a first class machinest a coded welder and a qualified mechanical fitter. it took me 6 months to convince them i wanted a forged billet not just a billet rod like duramax tuners where
You can't just get on this forum and post up these rods you supposedly have designed and expect us to just buy them. It's not going to happen. People come to this forum to actually learn. We are not a bunch of kids that don't know squat about these engines. We have put them through their paces in every way possible. We all look ahead for the next part to make the 6.6 a better engine as a whole, whether it's for racing, pulling, or just stock.

It is too early in for you to just sell them and hope for the best. Hardly any testing has been done (that have shown on this thread) to see how they have held up. Sure your truck is "800hp" we are supposed to just believe that? It's the torque that kills these things and we haven't seen anything to show how much torque and psi these rods can handle. We need more facts and yes proof!!!

I'm not saying you are in the wrong by making something that will improve the duramax industry. It's a good idea don't get me wrong. The few pictures you have posted seems sort of sketchy to say the least.

What happens when you start selling a few of these and a problem arises because they weren't properly tested? Then you have ????? Amount of rods left that are not going to sell. I just really hope your not trying to scam anyone here.

I can remember when fingers started working on his pistons. There was no leaf left unturned. He tested in every way possible to make sure they were going to hold up to what we were going to do to them. He wanted a good product that would/did make his customers happy. Now we have indestructible pistons! :thumb:

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rickaveryjr

Nov 29, 2012
CT
If you're having these manufactured in China, you better have some serious quality control. They do whatever they want over there. They will make undocumented engineering changes or changes to any part of the manufacturing process. If you are not there or don't have someone overseeing the process, sorry, but you're set up for failure. There is a reason why manufacturing in China is cheap. I deal with this crap on a daily basis. You can have the best design in the world, but it means absolutely nothing if they're using junk material and not building to spec. Hopefully you already know how it works over there and have control of it.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Hi iv just finished these up been 7 months in the making made from a forged billets and best maching stations availible heat treaded shot peened etc come with arp2000 equivalent bolts with material test data sheets etc. if anyones interested in trying some send me a pm

4_zpsdmr3ojmg.jpg

3_zpssm3m4gtx.jpg

they are forged 4340. we used arp2000 bolts as thats what we had availible. they where designed buy someone who has been building rods for over 8 years and to take the punishment.

So witch one is it? Equivalent to arps sounds like some Chinese knock off. How did you build 3 motors already and not know the rods weigh and how much the ends weighed? I'm new to the game but I am tripping over these red flags

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
How about an answer to this question.

If I had to guess, he is based out of Australia.

We've seen stock rods hold 700+ whp for an amazing amount of time these days. You'll need these in three or four 1,300+hp trucks to catch people's attention. CAD programs are nice to see what stress points there may be no doubt, but there is no substitute to actual road testing. 1 engine at 800hp and 2 more on engine stands is kind of like trusting a gallon of milk that is 1 day expired.