Which Polymer Pistol?

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
While I agree with this, I don't think the courts will. They can use this as a "premeditated" crime. Nothing but standard hollow points from a reputable company is what I would use. Anything with "bio shock", "extreme" or otherwise, even +P can look like you where planning for this and/or wanting it. It needs to look to the jury that you didn't intend to get into this situation but managed to get the upper hand and save everyone

It sucks, but it does seem the courts look at it this way all to often

While I understand the argument, anything under a 5" barrel will have better expansion and penetration with +P because you won't actually see the the muzzle velocity you expect with a standard round. You can get Hornaday critical defense which seems to be designed for shorter barrels and is what I have in a .45 3" barrel Kimber CDPII because it cycled the best.

Either way, only put hollow point in it at home so you don't have over penetration if it gets used. Too many people don't understand it's to stop over penetration from standard ball ammo and not all about more "damage"

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
I hope to go shooting sometime in the next couple weeks. Everything is shut down right now. Nice thing is, there is an indoor range nearby opening up whenever this current BS passes.

Havent gotten that far on carrying....

Next on my agenda is a lever-action rifle. :)

Report back once you’ve got some good rounds in that xd. I’ve never shot one before. Kimbers 1911 and sigs p226 is what I like so far. And I’d definitely like to get a nice lever action too. Need something to complement my black powder rifle

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I'm a huge fan of the H&K VP9, been a great pistol at ~1800rds thus far without a single issue.

The XD line isn't too bad IMO, decent bang for the buck but the ergonomics are not for me.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
I'm sure you'll like it, Tom.

XDm was my first handgun back in 09, has been great. My next one will probably be a compact Sig 320 to fill the gap between it and my M&P Shield.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I’ve been a full size glock guy for a long time.. recently picked up and carry daily a six x5 legion. It’s a blast to shoot

Old vs new.. and carry set up

199919a52016aed41b46037e5d16016f.jpg

a312a6b1b6096b558c7b93aaf402b0f8.jpg

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
Back when this thread was started, I was quite fond of the Ruger and S&W striker-fired handguns.

But in the year 2020? You are doing yourself a huge disservice if you haven't shot some of the CZ's newer offerings. Yes, the -75 and it's variants have been around for decades (and they're awesome in their own right), but they've expanded their lineup in the last 10 years or so, and have quite a diverse offering (save for the sub-compact stuff), all of which are excellent handguns at a great value. I've got several, but the one I most often grab for an afternoon shooting is my P-09 suppressor ready (usually with a SilencerCo Osprey 9 for good measure :D).

People usually call me crazy when I tell them that CZ is currently making the best (overall) handguns on the planet right now. Then I offer to let them shoot one of mine. Then they go buy their own. :thumb:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
Back when this thread was started, I was quite fond of the Ruger and S&W striker-fired handguns.

But in the year 2020? You are doing yourself a huge disservice if you haven't shot some of the CZ's newer offerings. Yes, the -75 and it's variants have been around for decades (and they're awesome in their own right), but they've expanded their lineup in the last 10 years or so, and have quite a diverse offering (save for the sub-compact stuff), all of which are excellent handguns at a great value. I've got several, but the one I most often grab for an afternoon shooting is my P-09 suppressor ready (usually with a SilencerCo Osprey 9 for good measure :D).

People usually call me crazy when I tell them that CZ is currently making the best (overall) handguns on the planet right now. Then I offer to let them shoot one of mine. Then they go buy their own. :thumb:

Anyone discounting CZ just hasn't had the seat time to shoot them. I only have a few 75's for different uses all with some cajun gun works parts for good measure. Haven't had too much time with the poly stuff since getting stuff into CA has been getting harder and harder.

The only mainstream gun I can't get behind is a glock. I have seen too many have issues firing out of battery and causing big issues. Every issue has been at a match where they have put a few hundred rounds down range already and in a speed setting. The mechanics allowing it to let the firing pin go before it has fully seated scares the hell out of me. I've never seen one fully explode in person like you see on the internet but have seen a bunch of barrels blown out the bottom and slide broken off the frame.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Bought my wife a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact and I loved it so much I bought one for myself then my brother bought one. This is my daily carry. Super impressed with this gun.

Attachments

• rps20200410_134848.jpg
    rps20200410_134848.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 22
  • rps20200410_134838.jpg
    rps20200410_134838.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 20

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I have the CZ-75 SP-01 and it is a little gem :) It did take a while to find the all metal version though, instead of the polymer frame, but that was my preference and not a slight to the same gun in polymer.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
I hope to go shooting sometime in the next couple weeks. Everything is shut down right now. Nice thing is, there is an indoor range nearby opening up whenever this current BS passes.

Havent gotten that far on carrying....

Next on my agenda is a lever-action rifle. :)

I don’t think a person can go wrong with most of the striker guns out there these days for general use. I bought a xdm .40 when they first came out and it shot well. But it never made it past demo gun/range toy for me. It doesn’t help I’m not a big fan of .40, but compared to my gen 3 G22, it was way less snappy. I have a little bit of everything when it comes to guns, but I tend to stick with Glocks for use. Took me a while to transition from a shooting a 1911 to a glock, but it has made transitioning to other platforms easier I think. The nice thing is I’m not worried about a glock getting scuffed up or damaged. And if I ever have to use it, first thing the cops will do is take it into evidence and I’d be way less butt hurt losing a glock for a while than one of my 1911s. There was an incident with a buddy of mine where CID took his HK and after super glue fuming it, it was stuck in a locker for over a year and when his wife finally got it back, it was in pretty rough shape. They really didn’t want to give it back either. I’d like to get a chance to really shoot a vp9 and one of the sig 320s and put them through their paces.

TheBac, lever rifle is next you say? What do you have your eyes on out of curiosity? After a bad experience with a short stocked .303 that was intended to be my first deer rifle, my dad gave me an old, well worn marlin (I forget the exact model number, 18xx something) in .35 Remington. Harvested quite a few critters in the woods of SW PA and WV with it and I loaded a lot of ammo for it. No idea how much it was shot before me, but it always shot straight and cycled smooth. Carried it everywhere I didn’t need a scoped rifle from the horse to the truck. My current favorite lever to have around is a marlin 1895 xlr .45-70. I prefer the more classic wood/blued lever guns, but never had a laminate/stainless lever rifle and it’s holding up well for the weather it’s exposed to. I’m always on the look out for another lever rifle.

clrussel, how do you like that legion? Is it worth the price over a regular sig? I have a couple sigs, mostly older stuff, but I picked up a 226 blackwater used in a gun shop in Texas years ago that was a second gen pistol made for blackwater (duh) before they changed their name. Sig sold the rest to the public and people who got them liked them and sig started integrating the features into other models. The short reset trigger on that pistol ruined me on the standard trigger my other guns had, so I swapped them out for SRTs. That blackwater was kinda fancy compared to other sigs at the time, and I’m curious if there’s a big difference with the legions now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Anyone discounting CZ just hasn't had the seat time to shoot them. I only have a few 75's for different uses all with some cajun gun works parts for good measure. Haven't had too much time with the poly stuff since getting stuff into CA has been getting harder and harder.

The only mainstream gun I can't get behind is a glock. I have seen too many have issues firing out of battery and causing big issues. Every issue has been at a match where they have put a few hundred rounds down range already and in a speed setting. The mechanics allowing it to let the firing pin go before it has fully seated scares the hell out of me. I've never seen one fully explode in person like you see on the internet but have seen a bunch of barrels blown out the bottom and slide broken off the frame.

I haven’t gotten a lot of trigger time with CZs myself, but I certainly don’t discount them! I only have one “CZ”, a Dan Wesson Valor, but it’s awful close to my favorite 1911 in the safe. So hard to pick a favorite. I do have a significant amount of trigger time on various Glocks, but have never experienced an out of battery firing or other significant failure personally. My G21 I used to carry and shoot competition with had about 35k of mostly my reloads through it when it was stolen. Definitely not trying to discount your experience or come across as one of these glock is the only pistol idiots on the internet as no pistol is infallible. I am a little concerned about the unsupported chamber specifically in my 10mm Glocks. I load a full house practice round that is comparable to the underwood ammo I carry in the G20. For the G40, I bought a drop in KKM or Storm Lake (I can’t remember at the moment) standard rifling supported chamber barrel as I shoot pretty hot hard cast lead bullets through it regularly.

matthew86

Mar 16, 2018
Eastern WA
Bought my wife a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact and I loved it so much I bought one for myself then my brother bought one. This is my daily carry. Super impressed with this gun.

Do you know if the trigger is any different on the 2.0? I haven’t shot M&Ps much, but I have installed a few apex triggers on friends older pistols and they seemed to be pretty happy with them. No striker pistol will have a trigger comparable to a single action due to the mechanics of them, just curious as to your impressions.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Do you know if the trigger is any different on the 2.0? I haven’t shot M&Ps much, but I have installed a few apex triggers on friends older pistols and they seemed to be pretty happy with them. No striker pistol will have a trigger comparable to a single action due to the mechanics of them, just curious as to your impressions.

You shoot the Sig SRT much?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Got me the shield 9mm a little while back. Shoots good, not great. Probably more me then the gun. Feels solid and well built.

I'll probably pick up the full sized one down the road. Would also like to find something in 10mm but there aren't many to choose from especially in California. Also something that shoots .22 for cheap plinking and practice

Attachments

• 20150130_191233~01~01.jpg
    20150130_191233~01~01.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 21

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Got me the shield 9mm a little while back. Shoots good, not great. Probably more me then the gun. Feels solid and well built.

I'll probably pick up the full sized one down the road. Would also like to find something in 10mm but there aren't many to choose from especially in California. Also something that shoots .22 for cheap plinking and practice

IMO they are good little guns, wife has one of the original Shield 9mm's, I got one of the Shield 45's when they came out, I like the more aggressive texture on the 45, I think the new Shield 2.0 has the same texture.

Only real pain I've had with them so far is replacing the sights, holy hell are they in there. But other wise, very dependable, it's my vacation gun/summer CCW

torqued2dmax

Mar 26, 2017
Brookville, PA
Anyone know when Glock is coming out with a mod20 10mm in gen5 the gen4 finger spacing is to close together for my fingers and I do not want to grind the grip and would just like a straight non finger grove grip . Thanks!

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013

Yea, I was one of those people discounting them for a long time. I've owned and shot a TON of different pistols over the past 10 years (averaged probably 2k-3k rounds / year), tried some variant of dang near everything on the market. But only bought my first CZ back in 2017, and even then I practically had to be begged into it by a FFL buddy of mine that reps them. I should have started there, would have saved myself a lot of money over the years. :D

It just seems that every brand has that something that makes it not perfect. (In my opinion), Glocks are ugly and/or won't run cheap ammo, S&Ws have terrible triggers, Springfield's have not-good ergonomics, Sigs are expensive, 1911s have no capacity, etc. Even if the rest of the gun seems fantastic, there's always that one thing that I didn't like about them.

Then I found CZ....;)

I have the CZ-75 SP-01 and it is a little gem :) It did take a while to find the all metal version though, instead of the polymer frame, but that was my preference and not a slight to the same gun in polymer.

One of my buddies (big Sig fan-boy) bought one of those (well, the almost-identical tactical version) after shooting my 75B one day. Very nice shooting pistol. I keep saying I'm going to trade my 75B for one, but there's just something about the classic 75B that makes me happy when I shoot it, lol. Don't think I can get rid of it, maybe I just need to add a 4th CZ to the safe. :roflmao: