Which Polymer Pistol?

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I put my grubby lil fingers on a bunch of guns this weekend at a gun show. The gen3/4 glock feel a LOT better in my hand than I remembered them. The XD design crew must of had a mold of my hand when developing them though. That thing fits beautifully in my hand. And oddly enough, the Sig Mosquito (yes, the .22 LOL ) was about the best fitting gun in my hand. Too bad there's not a big brother with same external deminsions. I'm having a hard time even finding which of the bigger Sig its supposed to resemble. --anyone know?

Didn't get to handle but one M&P. It's super comfortable too.

no FN's to fondleunfortunately.

Still no purchases because I just need to shoot some of these first. Handling comfort & shooting comfort could be two different things & thats what I'm trying to distinguish.

Completely different angle but I was amazed at how comfortable this sweet mid-size Charter Arms wheel gun was! It was a light weight Pug chambered in .38 sp. prices are amazing on those Charter Arms. Mixed reviews online. Some scream "excellent value" while others say "you get what you pay for". To my untrained hands, it felt as smooth & sturdy as any of the Taurus & S&W I felt that day. One of the booths said they're stronger (strongest available actually) due to being milled from a single piece rather than forged like most others? Truth?

I'm also still searching out true pocket pistols. Kel Tec PF-9 is leading that at the moment!

Mitch I can attest to a few of the firearms you have considered as I have owned them. The Taurus and Charter are the same quality. I would trust the Taurus for a backpack gun but thats about all. The quality between Taurus/Charter versus SW is not the same. I own a Taurus 605 in .357, as well as a SW 642 in .38. The 642 is my cc gun. I milled the front sight post down to accept a trij tritium sight and love it. The Kel Tec PF-9 is another gun that I own, and let me tell you for $250 its damn hard to beat! It is incredibly slim and very reliable. Just make sure if you buy one you get it in person and make sure the mag release button is metal, as this is the newest version. Some of the older ones had some issues, but they were all rectified. I'm not sure if you are aware Kel Tec is US made and has outstanding customer service. The gun is DAO and has a hammer which I prefer over a striker. I opt for my 642 due to simplicity, but have carried the Kel Tec in certain summertime situations and would feel comfortable carrying anytime. Lastly, yes the SW M&P feels good, but has been the worst shooting handgun I have ever owned. I thought it was just me until I had my brother and friends shoot it. Maybe mine was a dud, but it shot AWFUL groups. My glock 36 shot circles around it, even though its shaped like a brick. So, take my opinion for what you will, but i own/have owned a few aforementioned weapons.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
Stopped at the gun shop yesterday and the wife picked this out and it made its way home with us. Ruger SR22 Double action with a decocker nice put togather gun just shot two clips of 10 in it for the fun of it not going to get broke in till next weekend.

Attachments

• sr222.jpg
    sr222.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 21
  • xdsr3.png
    xdsr3.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 18

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
My new CCW...Rugar LC9 with Crimson Trace Laser. I'm still waiting on my Sneeky Pete Holster.

picture.php

Duramax_JP

Jul 3, 2008
I own a S&W M&P .40 and have to say I love it so far. Great ergonomics, very accurate, interchangeable backstraps, good mag capacity, and love the sights. Im about to buy the APEX internal upgrades for it as well which should make it shoot even better.

My next gun will definitely be one of the FN's though. I want the FNX-45 Tactical so bad. 15+1 mag capacity in a .45, threaded barrel, low bore axis, mounting point for those cool little red dot sights, and alot of cool other features. Not the best carry gun by any means but I want one.

jeepman1320

Oct 11, 2011
I carry an MP45fs both on and off duty and a Ruger LC9 as my backup. I also own an MP45c, MP40c, and an MP9pro. I am about to purchase an MP40pro. I own a couple of Glocks and they are good firearms for what they are. But I believe there are much better firearms on the market currently. I also own an XD45, but have had several problems with it and hate the additional muzzle flip it produces as compared to an MP or Glock. I am a huge 1911 lover, but you asked about polymer guns...

a6cd0ab8-1ea1-e0e8.jpg

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
3388, one of my bosses purchased one of those ruger 22s recently. He's only shot it once but seems to really like it. I can't see me buying any .22 any time soon that isn't either a MKII/III/IV or that sweet little Sig Mosquito or some kind of .22/.22mag wheel gun. :D

The Ruger LC9 is super practical but it felt kinda cheap to me. The frame seems like toy plastic, and the overall finish of the gun just seems lower quality to my relatively inexperienced eye. I'm kinda digging the SIG P290 for a deep concealment gun. The Kahr's (CM9/PM9) review nicely but are rather spendy. Same for the Sig P238. I really wish I could trust the good reviews over the nightmare reviews of the Diamondback DB9 cause I really like the looks and dimensions of it but the bad reviews are really discouraging. The P290 is shorter in length and height than the LC9. :thumb:

Jeepman, thanks for your input. Your report is more in line with most others I've read about the M&P. Wonder why Jordan has such issues with his? A co-worker said his military buddy reports that the barrels don't last even a 1/3 as long as the glocks before having to be replaced. He didn't say what they started doing to require replacement though. I suppose sporadic accuracy is lost after a barrel has fatigued?

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I like the feel of the gun and weather permiting I will go sight it in tomorrow. I had been trying to buy one for the last 2 months but no one here has been able to get any. I drove over to Houston to get it and the sight came in today.
I have a Baby Eagle sub compact 9MM that I really like but it is too large to carry.

jeepman1320

Oct 11, 2011
The 9fs has been having problems with weak lock up for a while causing accuracy issues. The other models are very accurate. The 45 pictured has around 35k rounds through it as it sits. I had to replace the locking block last month, but other than that it has only had regular maintenance. The locking block developed a crack that I did not notice till I tore it down for cleaning. The firearm never hiccuped at the range and I continued to carry/shoot it while I waited on the new locking block from Smith and Wesson. It took 10 minutes to swap and now is good as new. I have had the 45fs since they came out in 2007. A lot of people who complain about the M&Ps have never or do not own one and are just regurgitating what they have read online. I have owned 7 so far and have had no issues. I have owned 4 Glocks over the years and I did have a 1st gen .40 cal failure with factory ammo, luckily I was not injured. However, it took me a few years to shoot another one, and the two in the safe now are 9mm.

I have the feeling the loss of accuracy is not the barrel, but weak lock-up getting worse as recoil springs and other items wear. It is VERY unlikely that the lands and grooves of a traditional handgun barrel would be worn out pre 100k rounds. Handgun rounds are much lower chamber pressures an velocities as compared to a rifle barrel do they tend to last a long time. Now the pistols around them is a different story...

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I'm almost 90% certain I am going to purchase a M&P 40 Pro :happy2:

But I was curious if anyone has had first hand experience with some of the new (current) Walther guns. I hear they have an incredible trigger

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Glock

I have a Glock model 21 in .45 and a Springfield XD in .40. I have shot lots out of each gun. I like the feel of the XD better in my hand. Holding my Glock is like having a 2x4 in my hand. I will tell you this that when shooting both the Glock hands down shoots much better than the XD. My Glock 21 drives nails! Or should I say bowling balls!:D

My vote is for Glock!

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Walter has always had nice guns. I had a hard time choosing between them and the Smith and Wesson MP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Yep, bringing back a 3 year old thread from the beyond.....

Bought a 4.5" XDm in 9mm this week.

From doing some research, talking to my gun dealer and testing out a few from his personal collection, I figured this one would be the best for a novice like me.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
My wife live her XDs. When you going out shooting? Are you going to carry it possibly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
My wife live her XDs. When you going out shooting? Are you going to carry it possibly.
I hope to go shooting sometime in the next couple weeks. Everything is shut down right now. Nice thing is, there is an indoor range nearby opening up whenever this current BS passes.

Havent gotten that far on carrying....

Next on my agenda is a lever-action rifle. :)

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO

From doing some research, talking to my gun dealer and testing out a few from his personal collection, I figured this one would be the best for a novice like me.

The most important questions are how does it feel in your hand and how do you shoot it? My best friend had a XD40 that he liked, but couldn't get it to shoot worth a hoot. Literally shooting patterns, not groups. Then I shot it and shot nice groups. Yet he had a pair of Sig P226's previously that he had no issues with. Some guns just don't mesh with some people, it seems.

I hope to go shooting sometime in the next couple weeks. Everything is shut down right now. Nice thing is, there is an indoor range nearby opening up whenever this current BS passes.

Havent gotten that far on carrying....

Next on my agenda is a lever-action rifle. :)

Sadly, I doubt UPS would take too kindly to you carrying on the job.....

Last edited:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal

These are great guns, but if you plan to use it in a self defense situation I would recommend getting a grip to hold down the palm safety. They aren't big enough to ensure a solid contact like a 1911 beaver tail and can cause a failure to fire condition if you don't have a great grip on it in the heat of the moment.

They make thin ones to thick ones that slide over the whole grip to hold it down, there are ways internally to remove its need as well.

Either way get some good +P rounds in it that cycle well and sleep better at night.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Either way get some good +P rounds in it that cycle well and sleep better at night.

While I agree with this, I don't think the courts will. They can use this as a "premeditated" crime. Nothing but standard hollow points from a reputable company is what I would use. Anything with "bio shock", "extreme" or otherwise, even +P can look like you where planning for this and/or wanting it. It needs to look to the jury that you didn't intend to get into this situation but managed to get the upper hand and save everyone

It sucks, but it does seem the courts look at it this way all to often