Which Polymer Pistol?

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
I just got a XDM .40 4.5in and its a vary nice gun only have shot a box of fifty working on getting some reloading stuff so its not so bad to shoot. That said i really like it, its alittle bit big for a ccw gun but I may use it for one or pic up a 3.8 XDM in .40 to keep everything simple. Mitch its a vary hard decision to make way to many good choices but i would say the Glock, M&P, and XDM are all the top guns so to say lol.

Harbin_22

Dec 4, 2010
Southern Indiana
I have a FNH FX9. It is big for cc but a nice shooting 9mm. I like hammers for some reason so it got my attention. It has a somewhat 1911 style (which is my favorite) but in polymer. And it has amb thumb safety.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Cc is about the LEAST of concerns for this purchase. I only mentioned bc I may eventually do a shoulder holster MAYBE when deep concealment isn't needed. I'll have an actual pocket pistol for normal cc.

This will mostly be a range pistol & personal defense (home & vehicle) & side arm while hunting possibly. Immediate use would be first two items though.

I just about "pulled the trigger" (hardy har har :D ) on an XDm 4.5" 9mm in OD green/black slide but am really trying to exercise some self control & do this properly by actually firing a few before purchasing. I'm an impulsive buyer so it was hard not hitting BIN late last night! :D

Lonnie

Horsepower Addict
I have both a Glock & an XDM40. My friend also has a Glock .40. After thousands of rounds, we both shoot better with the XDM. From a rest or free handed, the XDM is the most accurate. It also will shoot plain cast bullets whereas the polygonal rifling of the Glock cannot... a considerable savings if you reload & shoot a lot.

Since I have both, I am not just giving a good review to the "one" I own.

The grip safety has not caused any problems. Quick draws, weak hand shooting & everything we threw at it, never caused it to malfunction or have an issue with the safety. Honestly, not sure why it is there as the trigger safety is essentially the same as the Glock & should be sufficient.

I did upgrade mine with the Powder River Precision trigger & it cut my groups in half.
It took a few hours to fit/install, but was worth the time & effort. It has now become one of my favorite pistols to shoot.

I'm looking at the new Comp 5.25" XDM40, which may become my new target gun & I may keep the 4.5" version for protection. If I was exclusively carrying it, I may have went with the 3.8", but I like the 17round capacity of my midsize.

If you are looking for protection, go with the .40. It has much more knockdown power over the 9mm & the recoil is not much more. My wife shoots it & it does not phase her.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
Cc is about the LEAST of concerns for this purchase. I only mentioned bc I may eventually do a shoulder holster MAYBE when deep concealment isn't needed. I'll have an actual pocket pistol for normal cc.

This will mostly be a range pistol & personal defense (home & vehicle) & side arm while hunting possibly. Immediate use would be first two items though.

I just about "pulled the trigger" (hardy har har :D ) on an XDm 4.5" 9mm in OD green/black slide but am really trying to exercise some self control & do this properly by actually firing a few before purchasing. I'm an impulsive buyer so it was hard not hitting BIN late last night! :D
I could help myself either with the OD green and SS Do it I dont think you will regret it. I would also add that if you get a .40 you can get a 9mm barrel or a .357sig barrel and rock it i do think the mag need adjusted for 9mm? not sure on all of that and with 9mm the feed lips are bigger since its a .40 and some have had jaming problems but then again some havent had any problems this was the other reason for me getting the .40 over the 9 kinda 3 guns instead of 1

Attachments

• newxdm1.png
    newxdm1.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 20
  • newxdm2.png
    newxdm2.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 16
  • newxdm3.png
    newxdm3.png
    62 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Very nice! I love the looks of the polished ss slides but For this one I'm sticking to black or brown/tan for less reflecting in field. ;)

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
Yea I found a picture of a regular bi colored (black-stainless) but the stainless had a Ti coating made it a brown shade. It would look sweet on a brown gun almost went that way Just wanted the green more if I lived out west I of Just to much green here to go brown. But I will see if I can find that picture when I get on the computer.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I have a M&P9 and my wife has the XD9. I like the way the M&P shot and felt in my hand over the XD. With a simple DIY trigger job it shoots great. Both have 1000s of rds. through them. I did have a metal shaving jam up mine after the trigger job once, but that was years ago and 1000s of rds ago.

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
I found this when I was looking just never happy with the sameold you know and I think this would look killer with a dark earth lower. But it looks killer the way it is too.

Attachments

• Polished_Gold_w_FDE_polished_flats.jpg
    Polished_Gold_w_FDE_polished_flats.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 30

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
I don't know how I forgot to mention CZ. The P07 duty is one of the best rated handguns at the moment. I have several cz firearms and they are all excellent. Check one out. Also check a HK USP or Sig p226 before you make your mind up. The latter are expensive but great shooters also.

Mikey

Drag Racer
Jun 13, 2009
I own a glock and a sig pro. I've also shot the HK polymer which was my favorite, most accurate and least amount of recoil.
HK #1 best choice
Sig would be #2
Glock #3
all .40 cal.

ILduramax

Jul 9, 2007
I have an xdm 3.8 9mm on order right now. It should be here Monday or Tuesday. I wanted the full size grip all the time so I did not order the compact. Since I live in Illinois I don't have to worry about concealed carry just yet. If we ever get it I'm sure there will be something else out that I want by then anyway.

bartman432

Nov 4, 2011
I own a Gen 4 Glock 17 & 19. Never a problem. Basically any of your reputable firearm manufacturers make good quality polymer pistols. It just comes down to your personal preference, what feels good in your hands, and what you want to spend.

crazycrew

Let's Start A Riot
Oct 3, 2009
S. Louisiana
I ha an XDm .40 in black and SS. I WILL have another one soon!

SA recently came out with an XDs! You should check into those.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I put my grubby lil fingers on a bunch of guns this weekend at a gun show. The gen3/4 glock feel a LOT better in my hand than I remembered them. The XD design crew must of had a mold of my hand when developing them though. That thing fits beautifully in my hand. And oddly enough, the Sig Mosquito (yes, the .22 LOL ) was about the best fitting gun in my hand. Too bad there's not a big brother with same external deminsions. I'm having a hard time even finding which of the bigger Sig its supposed to resemble. --anyone know?

Didn't get to handle but one M&P. It's super comfortable too.

no FN's to fondleunfortunately.

Still no purchases because I just need to shoot some of these first. Handling comfort & shooting comfort could be two different things & thats what I'm trying to distinguish.

Completely different angle but I was amazed at how comfortable this sweet mid-size Charter Arms wheel gun was! It was a light weight Pug chambered in .38 sp. prices are amazing on those Charter Arms. Mixed reviews online. Some scream "excellent value" while others say "you get what you pay for". To my untrained hands, it felt as smooth & sturdy as any of the Taurus & S&W I felt that day. One of the booths said they're stronger (strongest available actually) due to being milled from a single piece rather than forged like most others? Truth?

I'm also still searching out true pocket pistols. Kel Tec PF-9 is leading that at the moment!

duramax3388

May 22, 2008
Zanesville Ohio
Glad to see you finally got to put your hands on some that's the second best way to find one you like he best is shooting them. I am with You on PF-9 but a lot of reviews I have seen here lately say they kick like a mule I know it's not a full-size gun and it's going to kick more but I think some of them are over exaggerating about it. But I think next on the list is something for the wife to shoot and this is going to be a hard one hoping for a 9mm but think she is going to be better off with a 380 and I am not a huge fan of them but we will see.

Trotorx2

Sep 21, 2006
Beaumont, Texas
I'm real close to getting the Ruger LC-9. I finally found one in a store to hold and I like it. I've seen mostly good reviews and I'm looking for a CCW and it looks like it will work good for that.