Which Polymer Pistol?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Bought my wife a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact and I loved it so much I bought one for myself then my brother bought one. This is my daily carry. Super impressed with this gun.
That was actually the other pistol that my dealer recommended. It was a toss-up between the two. I guess we'll see. Its not like I cant sell the XDm later and buy another.....or just buy another and have both. ;)

Im excited for when all this BS ends and I can get to a range.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Do you know if the trigger is any different on the 2.0? I haven’t shot M&Ps much, but I have installed a few apex triggers on friends older pistols and they seemed to be pretty happy with them. No striker pistol will have a trigger comparable to a single action due to the mechanics of them, just curious as to your impressions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 2.0 trigger is better than the 1.0 variant for sure. Infact everything about the 2.0 is better than the 1.0 in every way. I primarily shoot 1911 .45 including uspsa single stack cdivision and I have to say the stock trigger on this m&p feels more like a 1911 trigger than any other gun I have shot. The only thing stopping me from doing an Apex trigger on this gun is it's my carry gun and I don't believe in upgraded triggers on a carry gun.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Bought my wife a Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 compact and I loved it so much I bought one for myself then my brother bought one. This is my daily carry. Super impressed with this gun.

So you’d highly recommend this gun? I was looking at it for my wife for her to carry when she goes on her horse rides into areas I know nothing about. But I don’t know anyone with one or that has shot one.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
So you’d highly recommend this gun? I was looking at it for my wife for her to carry when she goes on her horse rides into areas I know nothing about. But I don’t know anyone with one or that has shot one.
It's pretty much impossible to recommend a gun beyond recommending you check it out. Everyone is going to have different preferences. The best thing is to go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch. See what feels good and shoots good for the shooter. It's a rather personal thing. As I said before, my best friend had a XD40 that he couldn't shoot to save his life. It wasn't the gun. But yet with his (or my) Sigs, he had no issues. Sometimes a gun and a person don't mesh well together.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I am a little concerned about the unsupported chamber specifically in my 10mm Glocks. y.

I've actually only seen once case blown open and have seen a at least 3 fire out of battery. My other issue is if they are pressed against anything forcing it out of battery it will still fire, yikes...not likely but in a struggle it could cause an issue.

I however shouldn't be used as a normal range guy, at one point I was competing/practicing every weekend in steel challenge. These guns were seeing upwards of 500+ rounds in quick succession if practicing. This can exacerbate any real world issue and it's probability.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The 2.0 trigger is better than the 1.0 variant for sure. Infact everything about the 2.0 is better than the 1.0 in every way. I primarily shoot 1911 .45 including uspsa single stack cdivision and I have to say the stock trigger on this m&p feels more like a 1911 trigger than any other gun I have shot. The only thing stopping me from doing an Apex trigger on this gun is it's my carry gun and I don't believe in upgraded triggers on a carry gun.

For those of us who have not played with 1911’s, could you describe the difference a little more? I’m not the biggest gun guy but I’ve been daily carrying the 1.0 shield 9mm for the last 5-6 years now with no complaints. She doesn’t have many rounds through it though lol.

My dad is looking for a carry like mine so we’ve been looking at the xds, new shield, and glocks, all in 9mm flavor

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
For those of us who have not played with 1911’s, could you describe the difference a little more? I’m not the biggest gun guy but I’ve been daily carrying the 1.0 shield 9mm for the last 5-6 years now with no complaints. She doesn’t have many rounds through it though lol.

My dad is looking for a carry like mine so we’ve been looking at the xds, new shield, and glocks, all in 9mm flavor

Well for starters all 1911s has a rearward pull trigger where as all other handguns have a trigger that pivots so it pulls in an arc. They are ton of fun to shoot, although 9mm being easier than .45, .45 is way more fun. they shoot really flat and easy and any novice shooter can get on target fairly easily. I wouldn't carry one concealed though, manual safety on a carry gun is no bueno imo.

Last edited:

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
James - the 1911 is pretty much the gold standard that all other triggers are compared to. The design of the trigger lets you pull straight back instead of any rotating angle like many guns, and even the cheapest 1911 trigger flat out rocks :) I LOVE me my 1911 guns :) My fav that I own is an STI Sentry in 45acp. All forged frame and slide, with tool steel internals. I'm drooling. LOL.

For the unsupported Glock 10mm comment, I considered a 10mm but decided against it. Instead, I bought a Gen 4 Glock 21 in 45ACP and then replaced the trigger (barf!) and rebarreled, re-sprung, and added the required compensator to make it run 460 Rowland. It kicks the crap out of any 10mm and doesn't cost me much more to load than when I load 45acp (uses the same dies too). My favorite load is a 185gr Nosler JHP running about 1500fps. It will also do the heavies, but I haven't played with any loads above 230gr. For heavy 45 I do Linebaugh loads for 45 Colt in my Ruger Bisley convertible :)

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ

It's pretty much impossible to recommend a gun beyond recommending you check it out. Everyone is going to have different preferences. The best thing is to go to a range that rents guns and try a bunch. See what feels good and shoots good for the shooter. It's a rather personal thing. As I said before, my best friend had a XD40 that he couldn't shoot to save his life. It wasn't the gun. But yet with his (or my) Sigs, he had no issues. Sometimes a gun and a person don't mesh well together.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

Exactly, I would highly recommend you go to an indoor range and test several pistols and see what feels right. People say the shield is better for ladies but my wife hated it. Lots of people say Glocks are great for first timers but she didn't like them either. Either way I would start with striker fire polymer frame guns first and see what feels right.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ah so the rearward pull comes on the 2.0 shield and is more controllable that way. Got it!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cool old thread. Thanks for bumping it, Tom, and congrats on the new pistol.

Thanks Mitch. :hug:

Glad you started the thread years ago, as it was what got me started looking. ;) It just took me years to finally "pull the trigger" on one. :rofl:

The most important questions are how does it feel in your hand and how do you shoot it? My best friend had a XD40 that he liked, but couldn't get it to shoot worth a hoot. Literally shooting patterns, not groups. Then I shot it and shot nice groups. Yet he had a pair of Sig P226's previously that he had no issues with. Some guns just don't mesh with some people, it seems.

Sadly, I doubt UPS would take too kindly to you carrying on the job.....

Actually, I found my hand fits the rear safety on the XDm very easily and naturally. It seemed to be more "user friendly" for me. Plus, I havent even tried the other two grips yet to tailor it to my hand even better. Im still sort of in shock that I finally grew a set and bought a gun. :hehe:
I knew Roni wasnt going to be happy about it, but I explained to her that I personally feel society in general is slowly going to hell, and I'll be damned if Im not sort of prepared if the shit hits the fan. Its my responsibility to protect her and this CV-19 bullcrap woke my ass up. She then understood.

Oh yeah, UPS wouldnt allow it. I deliver into banks, schools and churches...all of which are no-no's. But then, I wasnt even thinking of applying for a CCW permit when I bought the XDm.

Last edited:

snowman22

Jan 30, 2018
SoCal
I wouldn't say it's rearward like a 1911 but it's more rearward than other guns I have shot and I've shot plenty of them to make the claim haha

The 2.0 is awesome and a major improvement Over the original. I have the originals in 9 and 40, but until I can get my hands on the 2.0 in CA they will stay in my safe.

1911s are my favorite pistol, but require a lot of training to carry safely and be effective. Someone mentioned the manual safety which is a major issue if you don’t have the seat time for it to be second nature. I have a two 3” barrel 1911s for carry, a Springfield EMP and a Kimber CDP(worst gun ever). The EMP is one of my favorites, but it’s single stack so you have less rounds than others and it’s HEAVY compared to a poly frame.

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The 2.0 is awesome and a major improvement Over the original. I have the originals in 9 and 40, but until I can get my hands on the 2.0 in CA they will stay in my safe.

1911s are my favorite pistol, but require a lot of training to carry safely and be effective. Someone mentioned the manual safety which is a major issue if you don’t have the seat time for it to be second nature. I have a two 3” barrel 1911s for carry, a Springfield EMP and a Kimber CDP(worst gun ever). The EMP is one of my favorites, but it’s single stack so you have less rounds than others and it’s HEAVY compared to a poly frame.

I shoot a Springfield 1911 5" operator lightweight with an alloy frame at 32oz with 10rd mags in uspsa competition and the thumb safety is required to be on anytime the gun is loaded and not drawn. I had to train myself real quick to disengage while drawing. It's definitely a learnable skill but unnecessary with today's striker fire pistols.

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Exactly, I would highly recommend you go to an indoor range and test several pistols and see what feels right. People say the shield is better for ladies but my wife hated it. Lots of people say Glocks are great for first timers but she didn't like them either. Either way I would start with striker fire polymer frame guns first and see what feels right.

Thanks for input. I just want to know what to call around and ask if they have for her to try. Right now she has her S&W 640 in a 357. I always joke with her 5 rounds may not be enough with her attitude.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Been running XD/XDMs in .40s, for a while, started with rugger P944 in a .40.

Ergonomics have been major selling points.. probably get a trigger job installed in them

Marlin is is pretty great level gun

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Big fan of my canik tp9sf elite for a box stock cheaper carry. Love the recoil management and apex trigger and stock truglo front sight. No complaints other than now I want one the size of my short barrel shield .45 2.0. smoother action and trigger stock than any s&w I've run

OregonDMAX

Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Thanks for input. I just want to know what to call around and ask if they have for her to try. Right now she has her S&W 640 in a 357. I always joke with her 5 rounds may not be enough with her attitude.

Just ask to try the popular polymer pistols and shoot atleast 5-6 if you can, atleast the m&p, Glock, and sig for sure.

If she's carrying a 357 and knows how to shoot it any of these striker fire guns will be a walk in the park

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
It’s not the most recoil friendly, but my
Carry is a Kahr cw45 :) They do make a little 9mm that’s supposed to be very nice.