Which Polymer Pistol?

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I've made up my mind to purchase another pistol. I'm almost 100% sold on it being a 9mm (cheap, potent with modern +p and +p+ rounds, and available everywhere). I also had almost settled on the Springfield XDm 3.8" compact. I liked the compact because it could be a "full size" with the extended magazine or small for cc.

Well, I've only handled them at gun shows and feel like they fit my hand better than many of the other polymer handguns. My concerns on the XDm is so many safeties in a tense situation. Pros are looks, fit, apparent reliablity, popularity (so aftermarket support is plentiful), come with some nifty goodies when purchased. I've never shot one though so I thought I'd dig in and see what their competition is.

Obviously Glock but their ergonomics just aren't for me. I'm still going to try to shoot one just to be sure I don't shoot it well in spite of feeling less comfortable.

One of two guns that really peak my interest are the S&W M&P. It gets rave reviews almost exclusively. At first I was turned off on it strictly based on looks. The way the frame/slide wraps over the thumb is just odd looking to me and something is "cheap" looking about the grip/handle. However, the more I look at them and soooo many others, its looks are starting to grow on me. Especially the earth/black ones! I have slight reserves about so many safeties on the XDm and have the same reserve about these only for the opposite reason - only have the trigger safety like the Glock. I understand that the trigger safety is adequate and gun will not go off unless that bad boy is pulled and meant to go off. I'd still like to see a thumb safety coupled with it as well and I think I've seen a model of it with one. Pretty sure it was added to meet desires of the military in the up-coming trials to see if something replaces the Beretta M9 as the military issue sidearm.

The other one that really really has my attention is the FN FNX 9. I just like it's layout, round capacity, ability to carry cocked and locked like a 1911, da/sa, and it's also apparently on the list to be trialed for the new military issue sidearm. My hesitation on this one is the lack of popularity so gunsmithing might not be easy to come by for it specifically, aftermarket parts aren't as numerous and they are bulky. We'll see how they fit my hand.

Ones that do not peak my interest are the HK (outta my price range of <$600), Taurus and Ruger (hideous LOL). My current pistol is a Taurus millenium pro PT111 and I do not like the trigger AT ALL! This new one is going to HAVE TO BE da/sa (da first shot, sa thereafter).

I need to look into some more of the Sigs. They have a cult-like following similar to the Glocks and Springfields and I have to assume thats for a reason. Looks like their 2022 gets good reviews, anyone comment on it?

Thoughts? Experiences? Which others?

Chad

Chad231
Nov 26, 2008
Santa Cruz California
I bought a S&W M&P 9 and liked it so much I just went out and bought a .40 too. I didn't like the XD that much and X2 on the Glock, does anyone think that unit feels good in the hand? Whoa, that just sounded wrong...

Anyway...probably about 1000 rounds thru the 9 and it just preforms perfectly, cant say a bad thing about it. The new ones will have thumb safetys standard I guess, which is nice, I do feel more comfortable/safe carrying my 1911 with a safety, loaded, cocked and ready to go, but it is heavy.

You'll see why it gets such rave reviews the longer you use it.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
the smith and wesson is nice ibut the xd is a much better i feel and if some says that there junk because if you push on the front of the slid it wont shoot well guess what the mother f@#ker is to close to begin with.pull back and shoot and yea that sounds wrong to.;)

Bakwoodz

Feb 8, 2012
Louisiana
I personally like the XDm's, yes they have the safteys but I have never had an issue with them. The way they are designed if your gripping the pistol to shoot it you don't even have to think about "did I engage the saftey or not?" I have well over 2k rounds through my XDm .40 in 3.8 (not the compact, full size frame) and I have purposely put as cheap of ammo as I could trying to get a malfunction. Well it has yet to happen. mine doesn't have the thumb saftey, thankfully. I went with it over the glock simply because the gen 4 glock hadn't come out yet so at the time it was one of the few with the changable backstraps. I had a M&P as well and loved it, only reason why I sold it was I needed some cash. Otherwise I wouldn't have. I also owned a sig and it was def very accurate and a very nice pistol. only reason I traded it was because I wanted an EOTech or my AR.

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
The first time my budy handed me his glock I asked him if this was a joke it felt like a tinker toy in my hands and then after I put 500 rds through it that day I bought it from him the next week and I have since bought 2 more. I have put countless rounds through them and have yet to have a jam. I have Kimber Kahr XD and North American Arms and the glock is my prefered gun to shoot at the range.
Its funny my buddy keeps trying to get me to sell his glock back to him.

lddrew

shootin for 13's
Jan 10, 2011
West Georgia
I am also looking for my first polymer pistol.

Right now I am leaning towards a Glock gen 4 (i think those are the ones you want??) 17 or 19, and if they don't fit my hand well have a look at the S&W M&P, and if that doesn't work look at the XD series in a 9

D-MAX Mafia

Hood down, smoke up!
Nov 4, 2009
Phoenix
Aftet shooting an XDM, they can keep it. Never liked Glocks cause they feel cheap to me. Taurus well you get what you pay for.... Crap! Revolvers are a different story but in the semi auto world there aren't very many I like!

If you want a gun that will be fun to shoot, easy to carry and damn near last forever, go with a Beretta. I have 4 of them (my opinion may be bias) and I would not trade any of them for any of the guns mentioned in this thread. The new 90 two looks awesome although I have not shot one yet. They have a skeleton frame to reduce weight and a tactical mount for a light.

If you can find a 96 Vertec, buy it! It is a .40 cal but they are amazing guns. The PX4 Storm line is awesome I have a .45 acp and a .40 sub compact. The sub compact is a little small in the grip but if you put a full size PX4 .40 cal mag in it, it feels perfect. All of these are available in 9mm except the 96. You will want a 92 instead.

Hope this helps.

Edit: I have shot the cheapest and most expensive ammo you can get through all of my Beretta's. Never had a problem to this date!

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
My problem with the xds is they are too wide for what they are and the web safety is just stupid. Its only to please people who think its cool as a web safety has zero purpose on a DAO pistol. The m&p is a good choice if you don't like glock ergonomics, however I sold the m&p 45 I owned because it was the worst shooting handgun I've owned out of the box. Could be a fluke, but it was not something I enjoyed. My glock 36 is a much better shooter and cheaper because I get a discount for being a paramedic. If you want a range gun the xd and m&ps are nice however for ccw I like something lighter.

carter_44

May 11, 2010
AZ
I love my XDs but not too fond of the XDM. I haven't been able to put my finger on the real difference but I know I love one and dislike the other. I personally don't like Glocks because they are designed to where you have to roll your wrist forward to properly align the sights. It makes for less accurate and more uncomfortable shooting. However, they are dead reliable and just plain work...don't hold a candle to the original XD though.

jraymer

<--Tree Hugger
Oct 31, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I have an XDM .45 in 4.5 full size and really enjoy it. only shot about 300 rounds through it so far though. I know it's big but I don't cc or anything, just recreational shooting and it sits next to my bed for when that dumb ass decides to break into the wrong house. :rofl:

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
XDm is a nice piece. I have an XD40. Pretty accurate, nice gun. I love my glocks... My carry gun is a 23. Thinking of getting an XDM 3.8 9mm for carry though. I like the backstrap safety... and the XDm is like a glock in that they packed in a longer barrel and more rounds into a fairly small package....

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
XDm is a nice piece. I have an XD40. Pretty accurate, nice gun. I love my glocks... My carry gun is a 23. Thinking of getting an XDM 3.8 9mm for carry though. I like the backstrap safety... and the XDm is like a glock in that they packed in a longer barrel and more rounds into a fairly small package....

I don't see why people like this in a DAO pistol.. It makes absolutely no sense and is just one more working part you don't need especially on a CC. You realized that all striker fired pistols are DAO correct? Would you have a web safety on a hammerless revolver? :thumb:

1lowdiesel

<- wish i was there
Sep 18, 2008
In
I've got a 9mm SW9VE. Super light, easy to carry, safety is your finger as it's built into the trigger, very in expensive and breaks down for cleaning in about 10 seconds. I did a little work to the trigger to make the pull smoother and lighter cause out of the box they are a bit gritty. I picked up mine for $300 bucks and couldn't be happier. You can usually find them on Armslist in 9mm and .40 any day of the week. They also make it in a .357. Once funds allow I plan on owning all of them :D

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
It's a mental thing... When you have that hot gun shoved in your pants, it makes you feel better. I don't want to worry about dealing with a real safety for CC... But thise slightly eases the thought of that smoke wagon going off in my pants. Plus i 've personally never heard of one failing on someone... I thinks its more of a mental thing than anything else...

I don't see why people like this in a DAO pistol.. It makes absolutely no sense and is just one more working part you don't need especially on a CC. You realized that all striker fired pistols are DAO correct? Would you have a web safety on a hammerless revolver? :thumb:

68skylark455

Larry the "Stroker"
Aug 7, 2008
Texas
www.larrysperformancepalace.com
My s/w sigma 40 works perfectly, 14 rd mag, is light and easy to shoot. Not really any saftey cept the double action trigger which with big fingers makes no difference:thumb:I love it, easy to clean, pretty accurate (shot 247 out of poss 250 for chl) so its a good all around gun. Only thing I will say is it may be a little large for daily concealed carry but hey, dirty harry carried a 44 mag so:D

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i own one glock and two m&p's a mid frame 45 and compact 9

my glock is my nightstand pistol and my 45 and 9 are my ccw (plus a snubbie 357 for dressing up on date night)

i would say m&p9 compact would fit your bill. find a range with one to rent or buddy that has one and go try it out. i think you will be pleasantly surprised and make up your mind rather quick. it is simple striker fired and ergonomic. oh yeah get the apex dcaek trigger kit for it!