Well I tried to meet in the middle..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
Sorry to hear about this and I would pm Pat and Kat and if he doesn't do anything to set it straight look into getting him band! if Wade can get band for selling a bad block id imagine DTS can get band as well.! thing about the oil pan....I could be wrong but that looks to be the black sound proofing that GM put on the 01 d max oil pans trying to keep the sound of the motor down.They quit doing it in 02 I believe and the sound proofing used to crack and fall off,i was told this by another d max hot rodder a while back and have no proof of this story but some others may back this up all I know is I bought an 01 motor with only 2000 miles on it and the oil pan had that same black epoxy or whatever is on the oil pan.

Yeah i think the black stuff is normal on all of the oil pans.

Cranks doesn't look terrible on that journel, but pictures can be tough. Question is can you catch a finger nail on it??

a Lot of guys don't cut the key all the way in to the gear becasue the gear is nearly impossible to get off in good shape. The cam spins and the balancer so the crank gear is the least important imho, never the less i just destroy the gear and key the crank all the way in on my builds. (Mainly just becasue if someone takes it apart I don't want the negative image.) New gears on everything.

And it sounds like you have a real nice job now.
This type of situation is always tough to deal with.

Bill, I am extremely disappointed that you would go on a forum and take to bashing my shop, customer service and work, with such dishonesty. This particular motor was not built for you nor was it EVER advertised for sale by DTS. This engine actually changed hands two times before you ever bought it. Yes this motor had not been previously ran, however you purchased a motor that was specifically built for someone else.
The engine was built in 2011 using the "original customer" parts and core engine. The original customer had a particular truck setup requiring the waterpump gear to be pressed off not just blocked off. The crank was polished and the scratch was revealed, at which point the "original purchaser" said he had run them like that before and it would be fine. This engine was built as a partial sponsorship for the "original" owner and was discounted greatly for that purpose. Everyone here is very quick to jump on the band wagon and bash or discredit someone, seemingly not aware the "Original" owner and I were the only ones involved in this engine build.
I have been very understanding of your situation, Bill, I understand that this motor is not you how would want it to be had this been built specifically for you. That’s why as you and I previously agreed over the phone over a week ago, I would help you at a financially discounted rate get you what you need to get to the engine to your preference, in exchange for you running our stickers and promoting our products in your area. Bill, DTS did NOT sell you this engine. This engine was built to exact specifications to the original owner. You yourself even mentioned that the crank could be used in some applications and not others. You are the NOT OTHER, the original purchaser was THE APPLICATION. The crank shaft in question, to be used or not to be used, is simply a preference. In which you have stated over the phone and in previous posts in this thread, no one should be responsible for paying that preference except you.
DTS has given you nothing but customer service. I’ve taken your calls on evenings and weekends to help you and answer questions. The last DTS heard from you was over a week ago when to quote you, “I’ll call you back”. My cell number is posted on the forum and my shop number is 678-691-9981. Anyone on here or you Bill, can call me directly if they have any questions.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Yeah i think the black stuff is normal on all of the oil pans.

Cranks doesn't look terrible on that journel, but pictures can be tough. Question is can you catch a finger nail on it??

a Lot of guys don't cut the key all the way in to the gear becasue the gear is nearly impossible to get off in good shape. The cam spins and the balancer so the crank gear is the least important imho, never the less i just destroy the gear and key the crank all the way in on my builds. (Mainly just becasue if someone takes it apart I don't want the negative image.) New gears on everything.

And it sounds like you have a real nice job now.
This type of situation is always tough to deal with.

yeah the epoxy i was not sure about but both marks on the crank easily drop a finger nail in and one of them is through the hardened outside surface. Iv got mixed opinions on the gear. one person told me it never moves but many others have told me its the trouble spot.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Bill, I am extremely disappointed that you would go on a forum and take to bashing my shop, customer service and work, with such dishonesty. This particular motor was not built for you nor was it EVER advertised for sale by DTS. This engine actually changed hands two times before you ever bought it. Yes this motor had not been previously ran, however you purchased a motor that was specifically built for someone else.
The engine was built in 2011 using the "original customer" parts and core engine. The original customer had a particular truck setup requiring the waterpump gear to be pressed off not just blocked off. The crank was polished and the scratch was revealed, at which point the "original purchaser" said he had run them like that before and it would be fine. This engine was built as a partial sponsorship for the "original" owner and was discounted greatly for that purpose. Everyone here is very quick to jump on the band wagon and bash or discredit someone, seemingly not aware the "Original" owner and I were the only ones involved in this engine build.
I have been very understanding of your situation, Bill, I understand that this motor is not you how would want it to be had this been built specifically for you. That’s why as you and I previously agreed over the phone over a week ago, I would help you at a financially discounted rate get you what you need to get to the engine to your preference, in exchange for you running our stickers and promoting our products in your area. Bill, DTS did NOT sell you this engine. This engine was built to exact specifications to the original owner. You yourself even mentioned that the crank could be used in some applications and not others. You are the NOT OTHER, the original purchaser was THE APPLICATION. The crank shaft in question, to be used or not to be used, is simply a preference. In which you have stated over the phone and in previous posts in this thread, no one should be responsible for paying that preference except you.
DTS has given you nothing but customer service. I’ve taken your calls on evenings and weekends to help you and answer questions. The last DTS heard from you was over a week ago when to quote you, “I’ll call you back”. My cell number is posted on the forum and my shop number is 678-691-9981. Anyone on here or you Bill, can call me directly if they have any questions.

David Im not going to play the he said she said game. I did not get on here and start bashing you. As a matter of fact I never mentioned you or your shop name. That was figured out on its own.
I believe the quote your looking for was made by Ben . "ILL call you back in ten minutes when I get back upstairs" but what he forgot to mention was the fact that he would no longer take my calls. I empathized with you and understood the engine was built for someone else after I purchased it. You spoke to me prior to the sale and never made mention to anything I should be concerned with. If anything was to be known, this was the time to speak up. I was extremely patient and even went so far as to offer the option to run your name on my truck to compensate you back for inconvenience TO YOU. Only to in the end be ignored and not have my calls returned. But i guess that is DTS's word against mine. The last time we spoke was a month ago and I have the call logs to prove it. You anticipated this being forgotten about and that is the truth.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
yeah the epoxy i was not sure about but both marks on the crank easily drop a finger nail in and one of them is through the hardened outside surface. Iv got mixed opinions on the gear. one person told me it never moves but many others have told me its the trouble spot.

We are making power on 6.7 Fords and the gear is part of the crank as in to get the gear you have to buy the crank with it pressed on. So we have not been keying them. No trouble so far.

The only issue I could really see on this is the oil pump.
It would be a good deal of work for any person other than the installer to change the pump.
I have no idea why anyone would grind on an oil pump.

There were so many hands in the engine by the time it was done as well.

These bash a shop threads get out of control.

I understand your frustration and I think you are doing a super nice job on the engine.

I don't think anyone did you wrong or the original builder because who knows what the person paid to have the job done actually paid for or approved.
Without original receipts and documents or a warranty you are sort of asking a bit much imho.
It is bad luck you had to redo the engine, and good luck you caught the items before it was installed. especially the water pump.

But really who would install a water pump no gear, unless the application actually called for it. And buying an engine unknown this thread will serve as a good lesson to people to really check stuff out. You can't just trust the part is what you think it is.

I hope you guys can work things out. I am just asking you to give the builder the benefit of the doubt.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I would have never let this go this far had I known it was going on! But with the move and the Christmas rush I was un aware this was happening. I apologize to everyone who was cluttered with this thread

That's what Obama keeps saying. You are full of shit. Make it right or your are gone.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
We are making power on 6.7 Fords and the gear is part of the crank as in to get the gear you have to buy the crank with it pressed on. So we have not been keying them. No trouble so far.

It would be a good deal of work for any person other than the installer to change the pump.

I understand your frustration and I think you are doing a super nice job on the engine.

I don't think anyone did you wrong or the original builder because who knows what the person paid to have the job done actually paid for or approved.
Without original receipts and documents or a warranty you are sort of asking a bit much imho.
It is bad luck you had to redo the engine, and good luck you caught the items before it was installed. especially the water pump.

But really who would install a water pump no gear, unless the application actually called for it. And buying an engine unknown this thread will serve as a good lesson to people to really check stuff out. You can't just trust the part is what you think it is.

I hope you guys can work things out. I am just asking you to give the builder the benefit of the doubt.
Stay tuned for the Confederate diesel thread....its coming:thumb:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

You need to stay out of this. You have no reason to take sides here. Let this play out. You have your own problems to handle.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What part of we didn't build this engine for Bill do you not understand?
You can't tell someone to make it right when the part in question was only replaced based on Bill's preference! Do you think you are Obama/ dictator

If my torque converter hub looked like your crank journal I would never live it down. They both do the same thing. Fast speedy things run on these journals with a lot of stress. The new bearing will conform to the uneven surface and you will not have total surface contact. It looks like shit. When you pay big money; you deserve to have your crank look nice. How many of these things do you have out there? Total sloppy workmanship.
You are digging your own grave here with your response. May not make a difference anymore after this.

If my torque converter hub looked like your crank journal I would never live it down. They both do the same thing. Fast speedy things run on these journals with a lot of stress. The new bearing will conform to the uneven surface and you will not have total surface contact. It looks like shit. When you pay big money; you deserve to have your crank look nice. How many of these things do you have out there? Total sloppy workmanship.
You are digging your own grave here with your response. May not make a difference anymore after this.

He didn't pay big money get your facts straight before you come in at the end of the thread spouting your trash mouth!

The flawed crank was approved by the original owner which I built the engine for not Bill.

You have no part in this!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
He didn't pay big money get your facts straight before you come in at the end of the thread spouting your trash mouth!

The flawed crank was approved by the original owner which I built the engine for not Bill.

You have no part in this!

Approved by the customer or not, you have to draw the line at what sort of product your business will put out for this very reason. Everything that comes out of your shop has your stamp of approval on it. I can't imagine why anyone would think a scratched bearing surface is ok to run on a motor that has several thousand dollars worth of parts in it. A crank is a drop in the bucket when you look a what kind of money was spent on the rest of the stuff.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Approved by the customer or not, you have to draw the line at what sort of product your business will put out for this very reason. Everything that comes out of your shop has your stamp of approval on it. I can't imagine why anyone would think a scratched bearing surface is ok to run on a motor that has several thousand dollars worth of parts in it. A crank is a drop in the bucket when you look a what kind of money was spent on the rest of the stuff.

Exactly...

Using the "original customer" points to a 100% scapegoat of the problem.

Pretty sad DTS let that engine go with a known crank issue, but its ok because the "original customer" said it was ok. If Stroker's post was correct, saying "DTS cares about customer service before, during, and after the sale" then this engine would have never left the assembly room/closet.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Wow, what a mess. I've heard of bad from all shops mentioned here and more, DTS your shop should make it right! Its only $700, if you dont pay up, it could get much worse for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.