Well I tried to meet in the middle..............

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
Forgive me if this is long winded, but the whole story needs to be made clear. The main reason for posting this is to see what other opinions are on this situation and how they would have handled it? Not to mention bring awareness to others about certain builders. So I purchased a completely new built short block from a member on this sight whom I will not name do to him being in my opinion innocently caught in the middle. The engine was built by a well-known builder that later sold the engine to this seller, that never managed to finish his project and sold it to me advertised on this site. Now this engine sat for roughly a year or two in the original crate of first shipment. This was a brand new build with zero miles on it and as I said previously had never been removed from the crate it was originally shipped in. Now let me be clear the way the engine was advertised made for a really great deal but the amount I spent was still a decent chunk of cash. The short block was full built with billet mains, Carrillo’s, forged pistons, keyed everything, main studs, dampener, flex plate the whole deal. I had the engine shipped directly to my builder who most of you know whom I’m talking about to be altered slightly for my application. Now upon arrival everything looked great on the outside, little did I know my build budget was about to grow significantly. When first disassembled the crank was immediately found to have two or more significant signs of unraveling in the journal surfaces and the crank was only partially keyed. After many back and forth discussions it was decided the only safe route for a high rpm engine was to install a new crank and fully key it. Now this was not the only problem, we also found gobs of thread locker in all the holes, oil pump was smoked (possibly due to sitting), water pump had no gear on it, and the upper oil pan was cracked and JB welded back together.
Now I brought this up obviously to the seller and after many discussions found that he had no intention on pulling a fast one on me, he really had no idea about the issues being he had never removed it from the original crate. To make a long story short I was not greedy and only asked to be reimbursed half the machine and parts costs for the crank, roughly 700 bucks which is not bad in my opinion. I was directed back to the builder and was told the builder would work it out. At first discussions seemed promising then I seemed to get the run around. The builder asked that I send him the crank so he could assess, because in his opinion it was usable. Now I don't know about him but I’m willing to bet any person on this forum would be pissed if they had a performance engine built with a marred crank. So getting back to the story I paid to have the crank shipped to the builder only to surprise surprise have him tell me he would have ran it. He continued to disagree with me and tell me how upset he was that someone else disassembled his engine. Now I don't know if it was really anger about someone else disassembling his engine or embarrassment about the issues it had, but I suspect option two.
So in an effort to empathize with the builder I once again tried not to be greedy and instead of asking for cash back I suggested parts at cost which would ease my pain and I told him I would run his company name on my truck as a sponsor so that both parties had something to gain from the dilemma being that he had a couple valid points however the engine was not sold as advertised.
Finally we had reached an agreement, or so I thought? After some phone tag for a week or two I reached him and he told me to call his sales guy and he would handle everything. I immediately called him and he said no problem call you back in ten minutes. Now fast forward that ten minutes was three weeks ago. I have been completely avoided and ignored since. I picked up my engine from my builder and this ordeal ended up costing me a little more than if I had started from scratch, not to mention the crank I shipped and now is in his possession that I technically own. So what is everyone's thoughts?? Am I way off base? I'm willing to bet if that engine was advertised with the imperfections found inside no one on this forum would have touched it with their buddy’s money!!!!!! This is most of the story as short as I can make it this evolution has went on for the last three months. IN MY OPINION 700 DOLLARS IS PENNIES AT THE END OF THE DAY TO KEEP CUSTOMERS HAPPY, COMING BACK, AND PUSHING YOUR PRODUCT!!CRANK1.JPG

CRANK2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

photo 3.JPG

Attachments

• CRANK1.JPG
    CRANK1.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 297
  • CRANK2.JPG
    CRANK2.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 304
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 300
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 298

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
You mentioned more than just the crank having issues. What did the builder have to say about the oil pan & JB weld and the missing water pump gear? I bet he is upset someone took his engine apart, I would be too if I was trying to pull a fast one. :mad:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I personally don't think you're off base, I wild do the same thing. Is there any way the person you bought it from could put some pressure on them with any success?

How far away are you front the builder? Maybe worth it to go for a road trip is not to far. Not to specifically cause problems but to try reason with him face to face. If it does escalade then maybe do something about it:thumb:.
If none of that works then I would post the name of the shop on the forum here for all to see and maybe he'll change his tune.

I'm sure some people wouldn't mind helping you out there :D

Good luck

Yellowchevy

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
You know at this point I am just worn out. And so is my wallet! Lol. I'm sure we will cross paths sometime. The seller I believe did his best to pressure the builder but can only do so much. Some people are just shady and it's a shame especially when you give them numerous attempts to keep the peace.

I personally don't think you're off base, I wild do the same thing. Is there any way the person you bought it from could put some pressure on them with any success?

How far away are you front the builder? Maybe worth it to go for a road trip is not to far. Not to specifically cause problems but to try reason with him face to face. If it does escalade then maybe do something about it:thumb:.
If none of that works then I would post the name of the shop on the forum here for all to see and maybe he'll change his tune.

I'm sure some people wouldn't mind helping you out there :D

Good luck

Yellowchevy

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Looks like DTS work and customer service....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

DTS is a bunch of hacks. They ripped my cousin for a few grand, then told him it wasnt their fault that the crank broke when the oil clearances were way too tight. Heads were stock and supposed to be his best port job. It had stock springs too. Shit was hacked together all over the place.

If that is the builder, good luck getting anything from Mr. Browning except getting told to pound salt.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
DTS is a bunch of hacks. They ripped my cousin for a few grand, then told him it wasnt their fault that the crank broke when the oil clearances were way too tight. Heads were stock and supposed to be his best port job. It had stock springs too. Shit was hacked together all over the place.

If that is the builder, good luck getting anything from Mr. Browning except getting told to pound salt.

Sounds all to familiar!!! Good to hear I'm not crazy

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Well that sucks, is this the same crank you posted about a while back?

IMO it doesn't look terrible, but pictures can be deceiving. And when pushing the limits it needs to be perfect. How deep are the marks, can they be polished out?

Maybe a candidate for a destroke grind setup :D

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Sorry to hear about this and I would pm Pat and Kat and if he doesn't do anything to set it straight look into getting him band! if Wade can get band for selling a bad block id imagine DTS can get band as well.! thing about the oil pan....I could be wrong but that looks to be the black sound proofing that GM put on the 01 d max oil pans trying to keep the sound of the motor down.They quit doing it in 02 I believe and the sound proofing used to crack and fall off,i was told this by another d max hot rodder a while back and have no proof of this story but some others may back this up all I know is I bought an 01 motor with only 2000 miles on it and the oil pan had that same black epoxy or whatever is on the oil pan.

mike diesel

I'm alright.
Sep 6, 2012
SLC, Utah
He consciously put that water pump in without the gear. Plain and simple. You dont just not notice theres no gear on it.

I will never purchase a single part from dts so long as im alive.

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
With the money one of these blocks cost, no matter how good the deal, it's gonna be a substantial chunk o change, I think it would be worth my time to bring the product back and deal with the guy face to face...even if it's several days of driving. I'd do it for the money involved but more than anything I'd do it for a matter of the principle and ethics at this point...

However, you've purchased it second hand, and then had it tore down, for obvious reasons, but that's gonna get used against you, regardless, you have some rights to exercise, but it doesn't sound like its going to be pretty.

I imagine the most impact you could have in this situation is to unveil the shady builder and let him be known to protect others and also persuade him to cooperate.

Hopefully an amicable solution can be made, good luck, I hope this gets resolved with the consumers (your) best interests at heart, considering its guys like you providing these guys meals every night.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Sorry to hear about this and I would pm Pat and Kat and if he doesn't do anything to set it straight look into getting him band! if Wade can get band for selling a bad block id imagine DTS can get band as well.! thing about the oil pan....I could be wrong but that looks to be the black sound proofing that GM put on the 01 d max oil pans trying to keep the sound of the motor down.They quit doing it in 02 I believe and the sound proofing used to crack and fall off,i was told this by another d max hot rodder a while back and have no proof of this story but some others may back this up all I know is I bought an 01 motor with only 2000 miles on it and the oil pan had that same black epoxy or whatever is on the oil pan.

Every 01 I've ever seen has had it on the oil pan.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
There is another middle man that isn't being mentioned. Not saying that he should be blamed for anything yet, but there is much more to the story dracing70.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
The pump gear was explained as having no gear because the motor was meant for a electric water pump truck. Now I personally would have just blocked the hole off. And of course the block was not advertised as the pump being non effective. The epoxy I'm not sure of I never even had a chance to mention it ??? My two main problems were the crank which probably would have worked ok in a stock daily driver but definately not a high hp high rpm application unless they plan to rebuild it every couple months. I of course don't have that kind of cash flow and if that is the intent then it should be advertised that way!!!! Most of us spend this kind of money to have a engine last a few years. As I stated I empathized with the seller cause he did not know what he had also and was directed back to the builder whom I also worked with cause at first felt it was not his issue being he sold it a while back. However it was not completely advertised properly , this was built to be a throw away engine in my opinion. The statement was made to me by the builder that I should could have brought it back to him and he would of took care of, however I have my own builder who I know does impeccable work not to mention it was already in pieces and money was invested on a engine that should of been ready to go. Not to mention if it looked like it did inside who knows what kind of product id get for "free " the second time. That's all I need is to chew up a set of brodix heads then have the problem blamed on my tuner!!!!!!

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
There is another middle man that isn't being mentioned. Not saying that he should be blamed for anything yet, but there is much more to the story dracing70.

This is the entire story minus the sellers name and a bunch of back and forth of one opinion over ruling another. The bottom line is I bought a improperly advertised short block for too much and went to great lengths to be very minimally compensated only to get the run around and ignored in the end. At the end of the day it is extremely bad business and a complete shame. But on a good note my builder did a remarkable job with it. Their attention to detail and great customer service is what customers deserve and the excitement about this spring has alleviated some of the cost sting. Thanks to Larry and Mark

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
The motor was sold to its original intended user with the knowledge that the journal was slightly scratched. The original user was not who you bought it from. It was built in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.