How's everyone doing with this virus crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
It's stupid how businesses are dealing with this, I'd say 60% of the service force in my area has been laid off. What are they going to do rehire at lower wages now and really screw people over? The service industry just won't take it, people can fix their own meals, build their own houses and repair their own stuff if that's the case. I'm ok actually, I have tons of work personally but I'm starting to see others squirm. Hell, even UNCW laid off over 100 employees, sanitation, matinance and food service staff are gone for the year...

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
It's stupid how businesses are dealing with this, I'd say 60% of the service force in my area has been laid off. What are they going to do rehire at lower wages now and really screw people over? The service industry just won't take it, people can fix their own meals, build their own houses and repair their own stuff if that's the case. I'm ok actually, I have tons of work personally but I'm starting to see others squirm. Hell, even UNCW laid off over 100 employees, sanitation, matinance and food service staff are gone for the year...

The longer they push the flattening the curve stuff, this will only get worse.
The human and economic cost on the long term. And will most likely be worst than the disease

BoiseRob

Oct 12, 2007
Found out that a competing sign company was shut down yesterday. The Meridian PD walked in and said he was not essential and was told to close or get arrested. I believe we will not shut down since we support the city, count & state agencies. The USPS has deemed printers essential if they have mail permits which we do.
On the bright side, the governor tweeted yesterday that "essential business" employees are not required to carry any "papers" identifying where they work. :eek:

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Same thing here for state troopers but city cops are still running around.

Hmmmm Mexico street runs anyone?

I should probably wait until Ryan and I get our stimulus checks, so I have new tires and wheels ready to go on, but I’m down!

I’m so tired of having people ride my ass at 80 on the 60 that I turned my tune up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
Hope you guys are all hanging in there. My area (NW FL) hasn't been hit too hard yet, but traffic is way down. Seeing as we do police impound towing for a good source of income, the crunch is beginning to show. It's already in the 80's here during the afternoon, so maybe the heat will help some.

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
My son, a police officer did say that burglaries on closed business is on the rise since they are empty, home burglaries way down since everyone is home.

With a lot of people out of work, crime will go up as people become desperate. The stimulus package will help but just for a little bit.

As far as the people on here that were terminated, I really wish the best for you. I also believe that as one door closes another will open. Keep the faith that life will get better with any new opportunities that come up. Find another job you really enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sneaky98gt

Nov 5, 2013
The longer they push the flattening the curve stuff, this will only get worse.
The human and economic cost on the long term. And will most likely be worst than the disease

Bingo. Been saying this from the get-go. We're not "flattening" the curve; we're simply delaying it (which may be a good thing, but at what cost?).

Given our current response trajectory:

How many more people will commit suicide because of the economic downturn? (estimates were 10k+ during 2007-2009)

How many people will gain weight and later develop issues because of that from being cooped up inside for weeks / months on end?

How many people will develop physical illnesses from the poor mental health resulting from all the anxiety and fear surrounding this thing?

How many lives could have been saved if we instead spent $2 TRILLION on cancer research?

How many of the 25,000 people that die of starvation EVERY SINGLE DAY could we save if we spent $2T on that?

The list goes on and on, and that's just the direct health consequences of how we're responding to it. If you want to put a dollar value on a life (which we do in some sense or another, even if we don't want to admit it), the economic repercussions, and how far this potentially sets back technology / society, are even greater.

Plus, this doesn't even count the "boy-that-cried-wolf" factor. If / when this is all over, and it's nowhere near as bad as it's been predicted to be, how many people are going to lose trust in the "experts" and not take them seriously the next time when something actually is serious?

There is no doubt, the virus is real, people will get sick, and people will die. It is absolutely serious. But it needs to be put in perspective; at it's current trajectory, it's not even going to break into the top 20 causes of death in the US. As far as I'm aware, we don't grind our entire society to a halt to deal with any of those issues. There are lots of things that can be done to respond that aren't the gigantic over-reaction that we're going through now.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I agree with your assessment. Take the regular flu that never gets this much attention. Annual infection rate are somewhere around 9.3 million to 45 million. Deaths are between 12 million to 61 million. Not to mention the ones hospitalized. This Covid 19 hasn't even gotten close to reaching these levels but the government and media are going ape sh!t over it.

Shutting down business', restricted travel, no events or gatherings, etc. How do they even think they have the authority to do this.

My best guess, is that this is a "test" of the emergency response system. How do we comply, how many revolt, what impact will it have to the economy, society. There is no need to enforce compliance when we will all do it willingly. All seems to convenient, when you consider that the economy was doing pretty good and Trump was running on it during an election year. Now we have a major drop all the candidates have stopped. Everything is on hold. Brand new virus. Something seems fishy to me. Way to many things need to be put in place and lined up for this to happen.

Pure Diesel

Apr 22, 2008
Ventura County
I agree with your assessment. Take the regular flu that never gets this much attention. Annual infection rate are somewhere around 9.3 million to 45 million. Deaths are between 12 million to 61 million. Not to mention the ones hospitalized. This Covid 19 hasn't even gotten close to reaching these levels but the government and media are going ape sh!t over it.

Shutting down business', restricted travel, no events or gatherings, etc. How do they even think they have the authority to do this.

My best guess, is that this is a "test" of the emergency response system. How do we comply, how many revolt, what impact will it have to the economy, society. There is no need to enforce compliance when we will all do it willingly. All seems to convenient, when you consider that the economy was doing pretty good and Trump was running on it during an election year. Now we have a major drop all the candidates have stopped. Everything is on hold. Brand new virus. Something seems fishy to me. Way to many things need to be put in place and lined up for this to happen.

A lot of things to bring the whole world to an almost instance shut down. Look at 9-11 and probably what it took to get it done.:secret::secret::dontknow:

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
At the risk of y’all thinking I’m crazy, I’m leaning towards the conspiracy side of things. I just hope and pray those that need to get taken down during this whole mess, get what’s coming to them, and that America comes out stronger than ever.

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
I do believe that they are just trying to slow down the spread to a rate that matches available hospital beds. Once the emergency hospitals (got a couple being built near us) are set up and the available respirators count increases the restrictions will loosen up. Hopefully that will be sooner than later.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA

I agree 100%

1lunger

Mar 11, 2019

Agreed!

1lunger

Mar 11, 2019
At least I have time to clean the truck and the my wife’s car.
e1cb6994a871c08e59fb6a29e92ed09b.jpg

blackneck94

Apr 19, 2017
Mesa, AZ
I’m furloughed for two weeks Truck is at the shop receiving trans upgrades that will, with my luck, be finished during my period of deficient pay. Just moved into a house and unfortunately we had to grab it while the lease at our old place was still valid for another month and a half. Between move-in fees and first months rent alongside paying out our old place, and the transmission, it’s been an EXTREMELY expensive year for me so far, but thankfully I had money saved up.

e564f207ab84abb536ba9f378f228816.jpeg

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
I’m furloughed for two weeks Truck is at the shop receiving trans upgrades that will, with my luck, be finished during my period of deficient pay. Just moved into a house and unfortunately we had to grab it while the lease at our old place was still valid for another month and a half. Between move-in fees and first months rent alongside paying out our old place, and the transmission, it’s been an EXTREMELY expensive year for me so far, but thankfully I had money saved up.

e564f207ab84abb536ba9f378f228816.jpeg

Cant wait to see that bad B!tch at truck mania this year :D

Status
Not open for further replies.