How's everyone doing with this virus crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
NC goes under lockdown Monday at 5. Everyone who is essential got letters they must carry with them. We will see if the police actually pull people over. My company is technically considered essential, but many of the mills we do work for aren’t. I haven’t worked in two weeks (still paid) but as of Monday we are going on furlough. I get paid for two more weeks then layoffs start. I was also planning to be moving out of state this month so this is going to throw that for a damn loop. I don’t get any of this at all. Sure. Yes. It’s absolutely deadly. But blown out of proportion. I’ve had my own “conspiracy theories” since the began because it’s been way too easy to connect the dots. Stay safe out there my DD family.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
At it's height in 2009, in one year the H1N1 flu virus (swine Flu) infected approx 60.8 Million people world wide, putting 274,304 people in the hospital and approx 12,469 deaths over a year. So 0.45% hospitalized and 0.02% died who caught the virus. (CDC and World Health Organization numbers) This was the worst flu outbreak in recent history.

As of today, worldwide, COVID-19 has been confirmed to have infected 640,589 putting approx 128,118 in the hospital and killing 29,848. That's approx 20% hospitalization and 4.6% die who catch the disease world wide.

In the US 112,468 confirmed with about 20,000 hospitalized and 1,841 dead. So 1.6% are dying.

Just saying.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Keep drinking the koolade...

Look at real numbers from Germany, they are actually testing a sample of the population and are finding vast numbers that have it with little to no symptoms. Their numbers point to more like .75% mortality rate. You can't test only sick people, it skews the numbers badly, heathy people must be included in testing numbers and they are not anywhere but Germany so far. They are testing 100,000's of thousands randomly and are getting real world numbers not politicaly jacked up garbage...;)

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
We'll get thru this, but it is annoying as all hell. I understand why people are getting fed up after a week of home stay.

garyhenrich

Jan 23, 2020
Glad to hear about the Germany study, that should bring some accuracy to the estimates, still not an exact science. Total deaths is the only accurate number.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Keep drinking the koolade...

Look at real numbers from Germany, they are actually testing a sample of the population and are finding vast numbers that have it with little to no symptoms. Their numbers point to more like .75% mortality rate. You can't test only sick people, it skews the numbers badly, heathy people must be included in testing numbers and they are not anywhere but Germany so far. They are testing 100,000's of thousands randomly and are getting real world numbers not politicaly jacked up garbage...;)

Statistically, .75% and 1.6% are not that different.

On the other hand, 0.02% and even 0.75% is.

Point is, it IS more deadly. But we shouldn't be shutting down the country for Pete's sake.

Everyone is going to get it eventually. No immunity till you pass through.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
My big thing is I don't like that fact that some people are shutdown and others aren't. I feel like they are dragging this deal longer than it needs to be. Either shutdown completely or don't shut down at all. If EVERYBODY except first responders were to be on a self-quarantine for 2 weeks you wonder if it would have spread so bad... Again this is just my personal opinion. :hug:

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
At it's height in 2009, in one year the H1N1 flu virus (swine Flu) infected approx 60.8 Million people world wide, putting 274,304 people in the hospital and approx 12,469 deaths over a year. So 0.45% hospitalized and 0.02% died who caught the virus. (CDC and World Health Organization numbers) This was the worst flu outbreak in recent history.

As of today, worldwide, COVID-19 has been confirmed to have infected 640,589 putting approx 128,118 in the hospital and killing 29,848. That's approx 20% hospitalization and 4.6% die who catch the disease world wide.

In the US 112,468 confirmed with about 20,000 hospitalized and 1,841 dead. So 1.6% are dying.

Just saying.

I think this years flu has killed more people in the US alone then the swine did in 2009.

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
We all have opinions on it.

I personally don’t think we are being told the truth on it all.

Another thing I have a strong opinion on is I think they are pro longing the end outcome by doing what they are doing. It’s going to spread. It’s going to go everywhere unless everything is shut down for 4 weeks nationwide which i don’t see happening personally but could be wrong.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Another one thar irks me is that right now the guberment is picking winners and losers. By defining who's business is "essential" and who's isn't they are, by a large margin determining what businesses will still be around after all this is over.

Much of the mom and pop stores may mostly all be gone. Only the large corporate, big box store, utilities, etc are strong enough to weather a lengthy shutdown. They also get the "essential business" exemption so they can stay open

It is unlikely to happen, but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this would be a great opportunity for the government to do some kind of corporate takeover through some kind of "recovery act" or other "we know what's best for you" legislation. The first steps to communism

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Statistically, .75% and 1.6% are not that different.

On the other hand, 0.02% and even 0.75% is.

Point is, it IS more deadly. But we shouldn't be shutting down the country for Pete's sake.

Everyone is going to get it eventually. No immunity till you pass through.

Germany is discovering what they believed would happen now, population is developing "herd immunity". This is the path the US should have taken...

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Sounds like Michigan's health dept is forcing businesses to test essential workers at their place of employment starting Monday. No idea how they are going to do it, what they are going to test, or how they'll "mark" us as ok, let alone if we have to be tested every day. Guess I'll find out tomorrow morning.

Just heard that three people in my delivery area have tested positive for CV-19 (isnt that an aircraft carrier?) this past weekend. God, I hope they are ok.
Im part of my community's FB page, so I posted some new delivery/pickup "requirements" for the next couple weeks to help keep everyone safe.

Here we go...CV-19 has hit "home".

Have you guys noticed all the commercials on TV that have CV-19 as their central theme? Hell, I never knew the current Surgeon General was so young!

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
One of my employees tested positive for COVID-19. The test results took so long to get back he's basically over it now. Luckily my whole team (and most of the company) has been working from home for almost 2 weeks now, so probably no one else would have been exposed. Still got to go through and verify that, etc.

So far it sounds like 3 people at this site have gotten COVID-19, none have died, and one person died of pneumonia (tested and verified no COVID-19). Despite all the fuss, it seems to be killing less people than normal illnesses here. Or maybe because of all the fuss? Either way, I hope everyone is able to stay safe from it.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Being a huge data junkie I like to look at related numbers. Anyone catch the news on global emissions changes they've been tracking by satellite?

Not exact one I watched, but the short version.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/27/how...es-have-greatly-reduced-carbon-emissions.html

Mother nature sure knows how to clean house when she wants. I think she's a little pissed..

On another good note, look like a simple blood test could hit some markets in a week or two that can tell if you've ever had Cov-19. That would be a game changer for opening things back up for people who believe they had it and recovered.

First week of March, after fighting what I though was the flu for a month, I went to a quick care in FL to get checked. Test said not the Flu, gave me a C-pack script [second one that month] and a TDAP shot because I'd just stuck myself with a pick early that morning.

TDAP stands for "Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis Vaccine for Adults." Pertussis AKA Whooping Cough, has symptoms that match cold or influenza. 48hrs later I was good a new without taking a pill.

So, did I have the flu, Pertussis, or Covid-19. I'd gladly stand in line for an hour to find out.
:hug:

AZlml

Jun 5, 2016
Goodyear, AZ
Some of the satellite images showing the changes in air quality are hard to ignore. I've noticed a difference in Phoenix air quality and visibility.

I'm fortunate enough to be "essential" and work in an Amazon warehouse doing equipment maintenance. They need people to work, and are willing to pay for it. I don't think they are staying open "for the money" they don't make a fortune on retail sales especially under these circumstances. The steps being taken to help lower the chances of spreading the virus among employees is pretty impressive on such a large scale. I like to say "it's just boxes, not life saving equipment...whats the rush." Well in this case it could save someone's life who would be at risk going out in public right now.

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
Some of the satellite images showing the changes in air quality are hard to ignore. I've noticed a difference in Phoenix air quality and visibility.

I'm fortunate enough to be "essential" and work in an Amazon warehouse doing equipment maintenance. They need people to work, and are willing to pay for it. I don't think they are staying open "for the money" they don't make a fortune on retail sales especially under these circumstances. The steps being taken to help lower the chances of spreading the virus among employees is pretty impressive on such a large scale. I like to say "it's just boxes, not life saving equipment...whats the rush." Well in this case it could save someone's life who would be at risk going out in public right now.

I’ve got another buddy that works there and his wife just posted that someone at Amazon working under him has been quarantined with it. She’s panicking because she’s a high risk pregnancy, due in less than three weeks.
I’d like to believe that the virus will start to die out soon, as we’re supposed to be in the 80s from now on. Trump’s announcement to continue social distancing through the end of April was a kick in the gut today. I’m still holding out hope for my 6.7 wedding date, just a small ceremony - no reception, but I’m scared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Trump’s announcement to continue social distancing through the end of April was a kick in the gut today. I’m still holding out hope for my 6.7 wedding date, just a small ceremony - no reception, but I’m scared.

I'd see how a month or two of quarantine together works out first. I'd trade my wife of 30 years for a bottle of quaaludes and half gallon of whiskey today.. And I don't normally drink...

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk

AthenaLMM

Swiss Army Wife
Jan 29, 2020
Mesa, AZ
I'd see how a month or two of quarantine together works out first. I'd trade my wife of 30 years for a bottle of quaaludes and half gallon of whiskey today.. And I don't normally drink...

Sent from a reclined position using Tapatalk

You have no idea what I wouldn’t give for a month or two of quarantine with him right now, but we’re 1600 miles apart. Plus, I’m a vet tech. We don’t get to be quarantined, as everyone who’s supposed to be staying home now has all the time in the world to bring their animals in. Business hasn’t slowed down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.