Brett Deutsch's current motor finally on the engine dyno!

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Original setup made 1447hp 2304ftlbs at 88psi total boost/56psi atmos. boost 2275us 18-26* peak timing and saw a peak of 5582psi cylinder pressure.

My 500%inj made 1496hp 2350ftlbs at 100psi total boost/58psi atmos. boost 1400us 15-23*timing and saw a peak of 5100psi cylinder pressure.

As you can see by the dyno sheet it has more power across the board with more boost and does it with less cylinder pressure which is better for the motor.:thumb:

Mark, did you make waste gate adjustment to increase boost? Or was the only thing changed the injectors which added that much boost? I'm curious if just fueling/tuning changes added that much boost.

Thank you for sharing the great info!

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Mark, did you make waste gate adjustment to increase boost? Or was the only thing changed the injectors which added that much boost? I'm curious if just fueling/tuning changes added that much boost.

Thank you for sharing the great info!

Just changed the injectors and tune to match them via cylinder pressure monitoring. His waste gate setup is pretty complicated but is self regulating via drive pressure so I don't even want to touch it lol! It basically maintains a 1:1 ratio when loaded up at full power.

duramaxzak

Wanna be puller!
Nov 22, 2008
Minnesota
This would be a great test bed for Waglers new cast intake to see how it flows compared to stock clamshell's and 3" Y-bridge! :thumb:

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I think an educated guess would be that Brett's "plans changed" post hinted about that, Zak....

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Part of the reason for this testing...

Here is a little more background on this process and why we are doing it. Brett's setup has proven very reliable on the track and very consistent for a long time but we had no real idea on exactly what it made for power and why. Until you do this kinda of testing it is just a wild ass guess at best. The competition stepped up their game and we finally got the rest of the truck to be as reliable as his power so we were able to start turning the wick up at the track. At Byron we found out that no matter what we did it went the exact same mph everytime. Took some time to figure out we were out of gearing for the motor combo. That is where the Wagler motor comes into play. The hope for it is to make more rpm's to help with the gearing issue. So the plan was to engine dyno the old setup and see what it actually did. We were all a little shocked at the numbers to say the least for the performance of the truck. This is the part of the story that only a couple people know about and why we are all scrambling to hope find some power out of the combo. I build the almost identical motor for a street truck with the same triples but it had big fuel and HSP Billet Intake manifold with big plumbing and a better housings on the valley turbo because room wasn't as much an issue as it is in Brett's truck. That motor dyno'd 1763hp 2450ftlbs on my engine dyno and just put down 1491hp 2100ftlbs on Firepunks chassis dyno on fuel only. This is where we want Brett's power to be so eliminating the variables is what we are doing. By installing my 500%inj in Brett's current combo it eliminated the fuel system. That left us down to the difference in plumbing and the valley turbo housings. I hope this helps answer some of the un-answered questions some of you have as to why we are doing what we are. We know that the motor and turbos can do it so it is just figuring out exactly the difference in the setups. The end goal is to put Brett's truck back out on the track stronger and faster this season than previously and have the most reliable powerplant possible!:thumb:

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 82

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Thanks for the info

I just think it's great to see REAL numbers and how fast you can go if your truck WORKS!!!!!! Tranny gearing and getting it to the track is everything. Awesome truck and a great group of guys.

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Here is a little more background on this process and why we are doing it. Brett's setup has proven very reliable on the track and very consistent for a long time but we had no real idea on exactly what it made for power and why. Until you do this kinda of testing it is just a wild ass guess at best. The competition stepped up their game and we finally got the rest of the truck to be as reliable as his power so we were able to start turning the wick up at the track. At Byron we found out that no matter what we did it went the exact same mph everytime. Took some time to figure out we were out of gearing for the motor combo. That is where the Wagler motor comes into play. The hope for it is to make more rpm's to help with the gearing issue. So the plan was to engine dyno the old setup and see what it actually did. We were all a little shocked at the numbers to say the least for the performance of the truck. This is the part of the story that only a couple people know about and why we are all scrambling to hope find some power out of the combo. I build the almost identical motor for a street truck with the same triples but it had big fuel and HSP Billet Intake manifold with big plumbing and a better housings on the valley turbo because room wasn't as much an issue as it is in Brett's truck. That motor dyno'd 1763hp 2450ftlbs on my engine dyno and just put down 1491hp 2100ftlbs on Firepunks chassis dyno on fuel only. This is where we want Brett's power to be so eliminating the variables is what we are doing. By installing my 500%inj in Brett's current combo it eliminated the fuel system. That left us down to the difference in plumbing and the valley turbo housings. I hope this helps answer some of the un-answered questions some of you have as to why we are doing what we are. We know that the motor and turbos can do it so it is just figuring out exactly the difference in the setups. The end goal is to put Brett's truck back out on the track stronger and faster this season than previously and have the most reliable powerplant possible!:thumb:

Very nice testing method, I'm sure it will pay off.

Next time you dyno test the chassis, if you would try with and without lockup, I'm interested to see the power difference.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Would depend on converter and power level and gearing and weight so it would be hard to put an exact number on it.
Mark, I have argued that with guys as well on convertor lockup. They would be saying that their trucks ran the same with or without lockup. I would be telling them either you just have enough power to make a difference or you don't jniw what your are doing. Haha! Great work on Bretts truck, as I hope to see him with the fastest / quickest prostreet truck out there this year.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
That's huge, have you dyno'd his truck on engine and chassis dyno to see power train loss?

We quit trying years ago because it just smokes the tires on my chassis Dyno and only showed 1100hp, lol!

I did do a back to back on a 2.5 truck and it was 150hp difference from engine to chassis Dyno.