April '24 Chat --- Got Jokes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
With it only being 2 HP, why not get a cheap VFD, then you can run it at various speeds as you see fit. Sub-3HP VFDs are usually cheaper than getting a new single phase motor.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: malibu795

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I scored two squirrel cage fans a few years ago from a business that was upgrading the AC units. One is slightly larger then the one you got and one slightly smaller. I put the smaller one in my attic to cool it when needed. Runs off a cheap ebay VFD like Dave mentioned. Haven't done anything with the larger one yet. It's just taking up space in my garage. Anyone's welcome to have it if you are in my area. I think it's 3hp but would have to check

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
With it only being 2 HP, why not get a cheap VFD, then you can run it at various speeds as you see fit. Sub-3HP VFDs are usually cheaper than getting a new single phase motor.

Sent from my FlashScan V2 using Tapatalk

Motor is a marathon 220/440V 3phase 2hp.

I'm not against getting a VFD, I have a very basic understanding of VFD and 3 phase wiring, It definitely outside my wheelhouse, trying to keep things simplish

im looking at ~200.00 for a 2hp 120/240 single phase locally

Basically I'd need a parts list and wiring diagram lol
Edit to add pictures of motorIMG_20240407_194049631.jpg

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Motor is a marathon 220/440V 3phase 2hp.

I'm not against getting a VFD, I have a very basic understanding of VFD and 3 phase wiring, It definitely outside my wheelhouse, trying to keep things simplish

im looking at ~200.00 for a 2hp 120/240 single phase locally

Basically I'd need a parts list and wiring diagram lol
Edit to add pictures of motor
As dave said, you'll be better off with a VFD. The aren't that hard to wire up. Hot, neutral and ground going in. Three hots and a ground going out to the motor. No more difficult then to wire in a new motor. Programming may be more tricky but many VFDs have a quick setting or mode that works decently well otherwise I've programmed a few and it's not bad to do. You can always ask up here if you get stumped.

This is a fairly cheap VFD that will probably be more then enough to run the fan. If you put a plug on the output you can plug other things like a lathe, drill press, air compressor or whatever into it as long as its three phase and less then the max KWH of the VFD.

This VFD will take single phase 120-240v in and output 208-240v 3 phase. Control knobs and buttons right on it or use the remote panel

Screenshot_20240407-165332~01.jpg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Awesome 😎

Can I run like a 12-2 size wire for power, hack up a 12-2 extension cord put special plugs on it and run that? I'm sure it's not exactly "code" 🤣

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: lutzjk913

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Evening guys.

Everything is slowly drying out here. But the run off from everything is off the charts. I made it out today on the SXS. the flooding we had was really next level here.
Water is also headed down in my area, with all the roads still greasy today. So I grabbed the grandkids and headed off to Dayton / Cinci area to watch the big eclipse tomorrow.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Awesome 😎

Can I run like a 12-2 size wire for power, hack up a 12-2 extension cord put special plugs on it and run that? I'm sure it's not exactly "code" 🤣
Well yes you can. But the output needs four wires. Three for power and one for ground. But that shouldn't be two difficult as there are plenty of SOOW cords with four conductors in them. 12 awg, depending on distance is actually good for 30 amps for THHN wires but NEC limits it to 20 amps. Most regular extension cords though have PVC insulation that doesn't have the same temperature rating so it's limited to 25 amps (NEC limit is 20a). Both should be capable of running the fan with a current draw of around 16-18 amps at 120 volts. The 120 volt cord will probably run a but warm but if your not running full blast all the time you will be fine.

Now if you can find a 10 awg cord for the 120v side you'll be much better off. The output running to the motor can actually be as small as 16 awg but I'd stick with at least 14 awg

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Well yes you can. But the output needs four wires. Three for power and one for ground. But that shouldn't be two difficult as there are plenty of SOOW cords with four conductors in them. 12 awg, depending on distance is actually good for 30 amps for THHN wires but NEC limits it to 20 amps. Most regular extension cords though have PVC insulation that doesn't have the same temperature rating so it's limited to 25 amps (NEC limit is 20a). Both should be capable of running the fan with a current draw of around 16-18 amps at 120 volts. The 120 volt cord will probably run a but warm but if your not running full blast all the time you will be fine.

Now if you can find a 10 awg cord for the 120v side you'll be much better off. The output running to the motor can actually be as small as 16 awg but I'd stick with at least 14 awg
I pretty much plan to run 210-220v for supply, on a 12-2 25-50' cord, should handle ~10A fine. There's 3-4' lead of 12-3? coming off the motor already. Basically the fan is going to hang around the door area to shove air into the barn/shop during the summer. Drop a 220v outlet by the door.. Build a 3 wheel cart for it to ride in to move it around on.

Shop is an old 60*80 that was wired late 70s early 80s, it's got a 100a 240v pushmatic panel. I bought a nice 200A 240V panel just haven't gotten around to re-wireing it..majority of the 120V circuits are not setup for ~20a in my shop, its all 14-2 on long strings. I haven't really had a need to pull the 14-2 stuff and run 12-2 yet, so I haven't.. also
I'm mindful of where I plug my heavy amp 120v stuff, mainly my 15A grinders and Lincoln 140 welder in at.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I could give a rats ass about an eclipse to be honest. I’m more interested in hearing about that shallow quake in New York. If you know your Tesla history that has happened before, the powers that be just chose not to divulge it to the current generation as they know very little about his experiments. He created an EarthQuake machine and almost took out an entire block of New York City before he got it shut down. It was also a shallow quake that happened in a know stable region. Maybe someone is mucking with the technology again….

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
We had another Taekwondo Competition Saturday. Took hame gold for sparing and bronze for forms. Forms are movements that demonstrate attack or defense against an imaginary target. They can be very subjective to the judges, so it can be hard to be good at. It's also something we don't particularly train for. We are a sparring team.

On a side note. I took my LBZ and actually got 19mpg driving like a "normal person" at 65/75mph. Normally we are driving a few hours and I'm going the on the faster side of the flow of traffic at 80+mph and get 14.5mpg. I was actually starting to get a little concerned with my mileage being a sign of an issue.

Attachments

• 20240406_150719.jpg
    20240406_150719.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 10

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I could give a rats ass about an eclipse to be honest. I’m more interested in hearing about that shallow quake in New York. If you know your Tesla history that has happened before, the powers that be just chose not to divulge it to the current generation as they know very little about his experiments. He created an EarthQuake machine and almost took out an entire block of New York City before he got it shut down. It was also a shallow quake that happened in a know stable region. Maybe someone is mucking with the technology again….
The earthquake in New Yorks does seem odd due to how rare they are compared to say California. It's even more crazy how there is a bunch of people who think this is the start of some major disaster/end of world stuff. Earthquake in Taiwan, two in California, New York. The previous eclipse a number of years ago and this one draw an X on the USA with the cross being right at the epicenter of some large quakes back in 1811-1812 with an eclipse that happened around that time too. Then NASA reporting solar flares being spotted and people thinking this will take out cell phones and the grid. Weird stuff. But I think it's really just our extremely good pattern recognition abilities more then anything

As for Tesla, I'm quite familiar with his" earthquake" experiment. It didn't really do much more then shake the building the device was attached to and a little beyond. It was not a ground shaker or felt by many further away. I've also watched plenty of people try and replicate the machine and test it to no avail.

As for me, I brought a welding helmet into work so I can take a peak at the eclipse. Some of my co workers are excited and happy that I brought one in as they didn't have any other means of viewing it. So I'll do my part to bring a little more jow into the world. Even if it's supposed to end today...... 😛

Status
Not open for further replies.