April '24 Chat --- Got Jokes?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That truck is bad ass, too bad it would have a salvage title. I wanted to build one but I will not invest money into a truck I can’t get anything but liability on. Is the desk guy at Inglewood Doug by chance. lol…
Why would it have a salvage title, and why would you only be able to get liability on a salvage title vehicle? Does North Carolina have some dumb laws?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
The guy at the desk I think is Filipino. He’s the one driving the forklift in one of the photos I posted.
@Dm23 , Does it have an LBZ swap in it? I bought some LBZ swap parts from a guy that had a truck that looked just like that.

What location are you in? I am near the 22/405/605 interchange.

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
@Dm23 , Does it have an LBZ swap in it? I bought some LBZ swap parts from a guy that had a truck that looked just like that.

What location are you in? I am near the 22/405/605 interchange.
Are you referring to the red truck? If so I am not sure, I didn't really go in depth in conversation on that red truck. I like it though. would have been fun to get a ride in.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Why would it have a salvage title, and why would you only be able to get liability on a salvage title vehicle? Does North Carolina have some dumb laws?

Apparently so. I so badly wanted to build a rcsb duramax but once I figured out NC won’t let you get anything but liability I built my LS regular cab. Any frame modification instantly gets you salvage title in NC. At least 8 years ago that is, I haven’t checked since. My buddy did buy a recovered stolen Durango SRT that is in near perfect shape and he can’t get anything other than liability due to the salvage title and that was last month.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Apparently so. I so badly wanted to build a rcsb duramax but once I figured out NC won’t let you get anything but liability I built my LS regular cab. Any frame modification instantly gets you salvage title in NC. At least 8 years ago that is, I haven’t checked since. My buddy did buy a recovered stolen Durango SRT that is in near perfect shape and he can’t get anything other than liability due to the salvage title and that was last month.
That's dumb. In Texas you can buy a salvage vehicle, repair it, and get a regular title that is "branded" and says rebuilt from salvage, but insurance will give you whatever coverage you want. My buddy who grew up in a body shop does it all the time.

Reactions: 2004LB7

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That's dumb. In Texas you can buy a salvage vehicle, repair it, and get a regular title that is "branded" and says rebuilt from salvage, but insurance will give you whatever coverage you want. My buddy who grew up in a body shop does it all the time.
Ohio is similar

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Yes. Was curious what ended up being wrong
My brothers truck wouldn’t go into drive and when it would, the truck would slam into gear pretty hard. Same thing with reverse. Then after those symptoms happening for about 2 weeks, the truck on the freeway would start to slip. My brother took the transmission out, drove it over to Inglewood and they said 1-5 were all fried. They ended up doing a whole rebuild.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
My brothers truck wouldn’t go into drive and when it would, the truck would slam into gear pretty hard. Same thing with reverse. Then after those symptoms happening for about 2 weeks, the truck on the freeway would start to slip. My brother took the transmission out, drove it over to Inglewood and they said 1-5 were all fried. They ended up doing a whole rebuild.
Kind of strange. Losing line pressure somehow I would assume

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
sorry Tom it's wrong area..Kinda time sensitive post.
ran across a RCLB truck being parted out with power windows and locks, my ECSB only front windows work. I wouldn't mind P-W/L..
Not many 2d PWL trucks out there..
I know Doors mechanically swap, can I plug n play the windows and locks? If they do I knew to jump on it
Well if things work out picking up the doors tomorrow be a looong day

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
Kind of strange. Losing line pressure somehow I would assume
20 year old transmission, but the oil was always changed at recommended intervals, so who knows. Weird fluke I guess, but an expensive one at that $4600 otd

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thats interesting. In CA it's either clean or Salvaged. and Salvaged only means the Insurance company deemed it a total loss. My GMC, I literally fixed it in a parking lot in a few hours with used parts. A bed, Rear leaf springs and another rear end. I then drove it 60 miles home on a temp tag and got all the inspections done in 1 day then droped it off at the body shop to paint the bed to match and check the frame.

But I have seen some vehicles go through other states like Arizona to Montana or Mississippi and back to get a clean title.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Dm23

Mar 8, 2019
Socal
4600 for a carry in unit??? Stock rebuild?
Yep, prices have gone up since mike was around. Stock rebuild from my knowledge. the truck is a stock 04 8.1L. I will have to post up the receipt so everyone can see what was done. Complete brand new build.

My build in 21 was $5300, when mike did it for me, for a I think a 750hp build. And now for a similar build its almost 7k for an LML.

johnmyster

Nov 6, 2023
Lynchburg, Virginia
Your buddy should apply for a NC repaired/rebuilt title. It will involve submitting some paperwork, a small fee, and having a state inspector come look at it to make sure he's not vin swapping stolen cars and parts.

In your case, if you do the work on the vehicle it will not impact the title.