2007-2014 GM Truck/SUV BCM custom tuning!!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There is two different things here.

One is the elevated idle based on temperature

The other can be turned on and raised or lowered via the cruise control independent of the temperature

Many come from the factory with the temp based version but not all have the cruise control version

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
It's the same... Cat calls it high idle and Gm calls it elevated idle. I mix the terms to confuse everyone, howmydoin?:D

Actually no they are NOT the same at all....

HIGH idle is a manual idle speed control for PTO etc. You can turn it on any time, all it does is speed up the engine to 1200rpm.

ELEVATED idle is a cold weather function that is automatic based on coolant temp and outside air temp...elevated idle also applies clutchpacks in the trans to stall the turbine and (effectively) power-brake the truck to 1100rpm to put a big load on the engine and help it warm up quickly. Elevated idle also closes the turbo vanes to build back pressure and further aid in engine warm up during the cold.

Sooo...as you can see, they are quite different functions. ;)

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
There is two different things here.

One is the elevated idle based on temperature

The other can be turned on and raised or lowered via the cruise control independent of the temperature
Yes the one I'm fighting refuses to come on with temp or by using the stomp the pedal clap your hands and pray it turns on trick. Worked fine before I tuned it, worked fine for awhile after I tuned it then just stopped and I haven't been able to get it back... Sounds like Ben's BCM flash will force it on, If I read it correctly.

DMAX102

Sep 9, 2016
Spokane WA
Yes the one I'm fighting refuses to come on with temp or by using the stomp the pedal clap your hands and pray it turns on trick. Worked fine before I tuned it, worked fine for awhile after I tuned it then just stopped and I haven't been able to get it back... Sounds like Ben's BCM flash will force it on, If I read it correctly.
That's a good question, is that a way to force it in with all of the warm up features active? I have enjoyed the faster warm-up with this truck. My dad had an LB7 years ago. Seems like it was much slower to warm up just by idling it.

Sent via Google Deplorable tracking services.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Actually no they are NOT the same at all....

HIGH idle is a manual idle speed control for PTO etc. You can turn it on any time, all it does is speed up the engine to 1200rpm.

ELEVATED idle is a cold weather function that is automatic based on coolant temp and outside air temp...elevated idle also applies clutchpacks in the trans to stall the turbine and (effectively) power-brake the truck to 1100rpm to put a big load on the engine and help it warm up quickly. Elevated idle also closes the turbo vanes to build back pressure and further aid in engine warm up during the cold.

Sooo...as you can see, they are quite different functions. ;)
We are saying the same thing Ben. Cat refers to it as high idle/or sometimes cold mode. Seeing as I work for a Cat dealer I sometimes cross terms around but they mean the same thing...

Does your BCM cruise trick allow you to turn on the "Elevated Idle"?

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
It's the same... Cat calls it high idle and Gm calls it elevated idle. I mix the terms to confuse everyone, howmydoin?:D

The high idle Ben is enabling would be able to be used any time (PTO style) as opposed to a cold high idle like LML and my LMM have. So different but would accomplish the same thing!

DMAX102

Sep 9, 2016
Spokane WA
Treed but yes my 08 now has a PTO style Fast Idle, and then the factory cold high idle.
So it would be just a fast idle separate of the cold "elevated" idle the factory uses for warm up.....if I'm reading this right. Thanks guys. Can drop that off the list.

RobsDmax

Mar 19, 2012
Arthur, Ontario
So it would be just a fast idle separate of the cold "elevated" idle the factory uses for warm up.....if I'm reading this right. Thanks guys. Can drop that off the list.

Yes no use to you unless you want to high idle in the middle of the summer for unknown reasons, or run a dump bed off hydraulics on the transmission.

Lol

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
We are saying the same thing Ben

grrr no we arent....ugh....

Does your BCM cruise trick allow you to turn on the "Elevated Idle"?

every 2004.5+ duramax already has ELEVATED IDLE from the factory!!

My BCM tune enables [manual] HIGH IDLE via the cruise control buttons on 2007.5+ trucks. 2001-2007 trucks you could activate HIGH IDLE via the cruise control buttons just by running a wire to one of the pins on the ECM connector. But 2007.5+ doesnt have the ability to enable HIGH IDLE just by running a wire to the ECM.

they....arent....the....same....thing.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Ben, I was under the impression that the + & - on the cruise control would raise and lower the idle rpm once it was turned on. At least that's what I recall my manual stating. Is this incorrect?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Yes the one I'm fighting refuses to come on with temp or by using the stomp the pedal clap your hands and pray it turns on trick. Worked fine before I tuned it, worked fine for awhile after I tuned it then just stopped.

You are talking about ELEVATED IDLE NOT HIGH IDLE.

Talk to your turner....because he obviously screwed up your elevated idle...which has nothing to do with BCM tuning.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ben, I was under the impression that the + & - on the cruise control would raise and lower the idle rpm once it was turned on. At least that's what I recall my manual stating. Is this incorrect?

Hmmmm....does it say that in your manual? Im not sure. The feature as I configure it is fixed 1200rpm whenever you press the cruise set button.

But I can look through the code more to see if theres additional high idle code that allows you to make the high idle "variable speed"....

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

Sometimes all it takes is to full flash the tune back in a 2nd time for it to start working

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Hmmmm....does it say that in your manual? Im not sure. The feature as I configure it is fixed 1200rpm whenever you press the cruise set button.

But I can look through the code more to see if theres additional high idle code that allows you to make the high idle "variable speed"....

You know it is possible I am confusing it with my LB7 manual

DMAX102

Sep 9, 2016
Spokane WA
Not sure this will work.....from my lml owners manual.... First paragraph regarding pto operation.
43edae0f0226c0e3a2e63427ba23fb0f.jpg

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
grrr no we arent....ugh....

every 2004.5+ duramax already has ELEVATED IDLE from the factory!!

My BCM tune enables [manual] HIGH IDLE via the cruise control buttons on 2007.5+ trucks. 2001-2007 trucks you could activate HIGH IDLE via the cruise control buttons just by running a wire to one of the pins on the ECM connector. But 2007.5+ doesnt have the ability to enable HIGH IDLE just by running a wire to the ECM.

they....arent....the....same....thing.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-4 thanks for the response. You mad bro?:rofl: