Forged Piston

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I have alot of confidence in the forged Mahle, best forged piston on the market for a Duramax and they are part of my stroker kit.

I just can't tell you they have held up in a high mileage truck..........yet. So far so good.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have alot of confidence in the forged Mahle, best forged piston on the market for a Duramax and they are part of my stroker kit.

I just can't tell you they have held up in a high mileage truck..........yet. So far so good.
How many trucks are out there that are running these pistons in a daily driven application? What's the most miles these pistons have seen yet?

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
i was just digging up old threads on pistons on DP and had a question about the Mahle forged pistons.....have they been revised to allow for better underside-cooling from the oil? i remember discussion about dual squirters on casper's stroker motor, i am assuming this mod only works for the forged pistons that dont have passages in the piston? also, has any more testing done on different types of coatings?

Thanks Guy

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
We have gone through a couple of revisions based on some race pistons. both in the bowl and on the underside. We should have some results on coated versions very soon.

The dual piston squirter can be used on any piston. Look for them to be offered to the general public in 2010.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
We have gone through a couple of revisions based on some race pistons. both in the bowl and on the underside. We should have some results on coated versions very soon.

The dual piston squirter can be used on any piston. Look for them to be offered to the general public in 2010.

Sweet!!
Does a guy need to install a higher flow pil pump with these Guy?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

is it an LML part/setup??

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
forgive my ignorance but what exactly is it about forged pistons that makes them not last in comparison to stock ones?

they do not have the oil cooling channels/passages, and dont have the steel keystone ring insert that the stock [cast] pistons do.

Guy will correct me if im wrong on any of that.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
That is not correct
Can you post pictures of the forged pistons that have oil cooling passages? Everything I have read says they don't. They also don't have the steel insert or keystone ring that makes them less durable for daily driving.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Can you post pictures of the forged pistons that have oil cooling passages? Everything I have read says they don't. They also don't have the steel insert or keystone ring that makes them less durable for daily driving.

Josh

I have posted many pics of my pistons and when i get a chance i will post more

they do have different rings and grow differently....i dont know if they woud Last as a DD but i know mine have oil passages

RPM Motorsports

smokinum
May 13, 2008
Central Valley Ca.
forgive my ignorance but what exactly is it about forged pistons that makes them not last in comparison to stock ones?

Forged pistons are looser in the bore for thermal expansion then Cast. They tend to be louder when cold for this reason. The material is also softer then a cast piston, wich will lead to faster wear (uncoated skirt).

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Josh

I have posted many pics of my pistons and when i get a chance i will post more

they do have different rings and grow differently....i dont know if they woud Last as a DD but i know mine have oil passages
I found some pics that were posted a while ago, but I saw no oil cooling passages, only oiling passages for rings and wrist pin.

Last edited:

coldLBZ

Apr 22, 2007
Alberta, Canada
How is oil consumption with a forged piston? I've heard that some forged pistons can run a tighter piston to wall clearance than others, is that true? Thanks.

bfletcher

Oct 10, 2009
How is oil consumption with a forged piston? I've heard that some forged pistons can run a tighter piston to wall clearance than others, is that true? Thanks.

The better the material the higher heat it can handle, the more PTW clearance thats needed.

Dont buy into the less PTW is better BS! That thinking works great on a production car, but not a race engine. A little more PTW helps the rings seal better against the cylinder walls. Were talking thousanths of an inch here, not hundreds.

Trippin

SoCal Diesel
Aug 10, 2006
I haven't personally seen a set of the Arias pistons, but I'm willing to bet they don't have internal cooling passages like the stock Dmax does.

Larger piston to cylinder wall clearances tend to let the piston rock more in the bore, which is detrimental to long term ring seal.

Arias and Ross both need about .012 to keep the piston from sticking in the bore. Mahle uses about .006. Which one do you think will have the better long term ring seal?

Ben,

Our dual squirters are not from an LML but rather an internally developed product here at SoCal Diesel for the McRat Bonneville project.

Guy

Last edited: