how much to build your motor

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
in the first build it was a maxspool 2 i havent decided on the second motor may use the same one .however i have spoken with greg about custom grinds and i plan to talk with hamilton cams as well. on the dmax we use a TTS cam...

Last edited:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
So you have 900hp on stock rods?? I dont really know anything about a cummins. Sorry if thats a dumb question.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
I guess you are really looking for an itemized price sheet, since so far, no 2 builds listed are identical.

Balancing, blueprinting, cleaning, valve jobs, gaskets, etc, aren't being listed I guess.

Yes, I could build a race engine for $1500. Do all the labor and machine work myself, reuse all the gaskets, and use either used rods, or other special deals.

So you could say the cost to build a Dmax goes from $1500 to $40,000. It depends on what you do, and who you are. Yeah, I could probably get one for free even. I just choose not to. Can't afford the kneepads.

Cummins race cams are about $500 last I heard for "normal" folk. So please don't use "I'm good friends with BillyBob so I get stuff for 1/2 price" when talking money.

Dodge guys often have these excellent threads:

"I put $50 into my engine, and I make 1,200HP, and have driven 300,000 mi"
"Yeah, that ain't shinola pal. I put $1.99 into my engine, it makes 2000HP, and I drove it to the moon and back last week."
"You guys are pussies. I made my own engine from scratch out of old beer cans for free, it make 4.3 gigawatts of power, and the speedo just rolled over to infinity."

:D

If you want tech answers, don't pollute it with hyperbole. It just dilutes what you're saying.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Dockboy was also running a significant amount of timing when his truck blew. The stock bottom end in a Cummins is WAY stronger than the stock bottom end of a Dmax. That really can't be argued.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Dockboy was also running a significant amount of timing when his truck blew. The stock bottom end in a Cummins is WAY stronger than the stock bottom end of a Dmax. That really can't be argued.

Yes, the Cummins bottom end is stronger than a Dmax, but it's not bulletproof as has been advertised.

He is not the only guy who broke Cummins rods before.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
True on both counts, but I'd feel a lot better running 700-800 HP on a stock Cummins bottom end than I would a Dmax.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
To give you an idea how edgy the Dodge guys are about it, when Dockboy's engine busted, the thread on the Dodge board didn't mention the engine failed at first, instead the thread was titled something like Congrats! Dockboy Hits 900HP! or something. When I posted "Congrats! :D" in the thread, I got a 3 day timeout. :D

Yes I'm a prick. I knew it broke.

I believe that's the only thread I've ever read on a Dodge board that actually stated a rod failed. Ever. This has more to do with his engine failure than timing. He probably wasn't aware of the level of risk.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Yes, the Cummins bottom end is stronger than a Dmax, but it's not bulletproof as has been advertised.

He is not the only guy who broke Cummins rods before.

cummins stock rods will handle over 1100 hp to the wheels. they have to been shotpeened. and dodge race cams can go as high as $1600

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
To give you an idea how edgy the Dodge guys are about it, when Dockboy's engine busted, the thread on the Dodge board didn't mention the engine failed at first, instead the thread was titled something like Congrats! Dockboy Hits 900HP! or something. When I posted "Congrats! :D" in the thread, I got a 3 day timeout. :D

Yes I'm a prick. I knew it broke.
:rofl: That's funny. I don't care who you are.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
True on both counts, but I'd feel a lot better running 700-800 HP on a stock Cummins bottom end than I would a Dmax.

I wouldn't. Because then I'd have to be driving a Dodge. :D

Seriously, I'd rather have to upgrade my rods than have limited tuning options and poor streetability at 800hp.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
first and for most i wasnt even trying to compare what it cost to build a dodge compared to a cummins.so one asked so i told what i had in it. i told the truth and was honest about the build and expence.to be honest it was experimental and thus far has worked far better than i ever imagined.the motor in my current set up isnt balanced or blue printed hell i even have stock springs.they have been shimmed to spec but they are spec.i have 300 bucks in a cam i got it when Greg Houge first got into the cr cams.i had some extra cam cores,junk to me,so i added no value to them.in my prices my valve job and new gasket were included.i did reuse the bearings because like i said before it was experimantal.as stated the guy who builds are dmax engine did the work and my local diesel mechanic put it together and took it out and put it in the truck.
the tech answers i was looking for am getting but once again i wasnt trying to compare dodge to chevy,and some one did ask for the info i posted.on the current motor i having built it will have TTS rods thus the majjor difference in price between the 2 builds.

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Agreed but, I live close to a very big shop that has put out numerous 10 second dodges and the lineup to get a dodge motor rebuilt is very long. Most guys don't listen cause on the internet it is percieved that you can through anything at a cummins and it won't blow, and most of these guys are nowhere near 900hp.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Agreed but, I live close to a very big shop that has put out numerous 10 second dodges and the lineup to get a dodge motor rebuilt is very long. Most guys don't listen cause on the internet it is percieved that you can through anything at a cummins and it won't blow, and most of these guys are nowhere near 900hp.

its all in the setup. the stock crank will hold over 1000 hp and the rods will hold that to but they need to be shotpeened. the rest really needs to be upgraded. some are still using cut cummins pistions. but heat is what will kill the motor just like any other diesel motor .

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
You guys must be crazy to talk about :Dsomething like that!!! The WIFE :rofl:might see it. I have more in parts than I did buying the truck. I bought the truck new! Man I never thought I would say that about a vehicle, motor wise anyhow. I'm just glad I don't drink or do drugs, i'd have to be a bad person to support my habit.:cool2:
X2
Sometimes I think a drug habit would be cheaper :eek: :rofl:
X2
I think Dockboy had 900 on stock rods. You could tell they were stock from a good distance since they were bouncing across the dyno room floor. :D
Dockboy is his own worst enemy. He spent all that money on turbos and bolt ons but never took care of the bottomend. I dont care about the timing thing. What killed his cummins was his own stupidity. He needed to open up the clearence and put good rods in the bottom. That is why I tease him about painting the block. I was told by a very wise engine builder that painting the block was one of those details a good builder does. When you dont see the attention to detail of painting the block you can be pretty sure there is lack of attention inside the block. Once again he proved correct. When you build an engine especailly on a budget you focus on the bottomend. You can always bolt on better topend parts later.
cummins stock rods will handle over 1100 hp to the wheels. they have to been shotpeened. and dodge race cams can go as high as $1600

Not all Cummins rods are created equal. The cracked cap stuff is not worth the effort. Shot peening will not help them at all. Simply put if the materail is able to have the cap removed by cracking it is not robust enough for a high performance. I do care what the divine MR M says. He is all smoke and mirrors anyway. If your going to spend moneny for pistons, cam, head and so on BUY RODS.

To anwser Jess's question. If you factor in the cost of the custom work and machining that I did. I do all most all my own work. It would cost around 20K. :eek: That is just the motor not the clutch, cooling system, Intake and so on.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
with the motor builds going on now verse 2 years ago the duramax has made a name for itself. we have some limits still but just about in every class there at least one duramax that is up in the front or really close to being first. the motor i have built last year was a surprise to alot of people making close or little over 800 hp with just a complete bottom end, stock heads and springs, gt 42 charger, 20 over injectors, twin cp3. really cost was about $10000 which included machine work, labor and parts

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
Not all Cummins rods are created equal. The cracked cap stuff is not worth the effort. Shot peening will not help them at all. Simply put if the materail is able to have the cap removed by cracking it is not robust enough for a high performance.

ok if you say so. the 12 valve rods seem to be holding up fine and couple 24 valves i know of doing fine with shotpeen rods and holding well over 1000 hp

bigbird

Sep 18, 2006
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
with the motor builds going on now verse 2 years ago the duramax has made a name for itself. we have some limits still but just about in every class there at least one duramax that is up in the front or really close to being first. the motor i have built last year was a surprise to alot of people making close or little over 800 hp with just a complete bottom end, stock heads and springs, gt 42 charger, 20 over injectors, twin cp3. really cost was about $10000 which included machine work, labor and parts

aren't a 42 kit and dual fuelers close to 7 g's alone?