how much to build your motor

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
was wondering what some of you guys are putting in your built motors.i am not trying to get personal but if you dot mind sharing please let me know...

ripmf666

Sep 20, 2006
Wentzville Mo
I have around 10,500 thats rods,pistons, machin work,injectors, dual cp3,gaskets and all the seals.and what ever my time would be worth lol we have 59.18 hrs in taking it out and rebuilding it and on the install.

Last edited:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Current build is:

LBZ heads
LLY block and crank
Crower rods
Cut pistons
SoCal high speed valve springs and pushrods
ARP studs
Keyed cam and crank

Parts are about $6000 assuming you have good cores, and machine work with professional assembly is $5000.

If you engine is blown up to start with, add about $5000 for a good used core engine.

That is just my experience, and what I would consider to be a minimum build, not an optimal build. Ported heads, new pistons, cam, stroker crank, oil pump, injectors, could triple that price.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
my build will be just around $22,000ish should make for a fun truck tho. if you add the trans it will be just under $30,000ish need to give that Dodge of yours something to play with. ;):hug:

Tacojedbob7

<====Ron Jeremy
Nov 25, 2007
was wondering what some of you guys are putting in your built motors.i am not trying to get personal but if you dot mind sharing please let me know...

way too much...

...I would imagine the average build is costing $10K...not including fueling and charging goodies. Mine would be getting close to that mark if I was paying for labor.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL

How much and when do you have to build a Cummins?? Think 10K is about average from a mild build Dmax.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
To put in perspective, you can buy a brand new 730HP gas race engine from Chevrolet for $13,000 outright. So in that light, yes, it's pricey. But we can tow and get 20+ mpg with our "race" engines and run them on pump fuel. Something you simply can't do with anything other than a diesel today.

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Motor build cost

You guys must be crazy to talk about :Dsomething like that!!! The WIFE :rofl:might see it. I have more in parts than I did buying the truck. I bought the truck new! Man I never thought I would say that about a vehicle, motor wise anyhow. I'm just glad I don't drink or do drugs, i'd have to be a bad person to support my habit.:cool2:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
You guys must be crazy to talk about :Dsomething like that!!! The WIFE :rofl:might see it. I have more in parts than I did buying the truck. I bought the truck new! Man I never thought I would say that about a vehicle, motor wise anyhow. I'm just glad I don't drink or do drugs, i'd have to be a bad person to support my habit.:cool2:

Sometimes I think a drug habit would be cheaper :eek: :rofl:

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
my build will be just around $22,000ish should make for a fun truck tho. if you add the trans it will be just under $30,000ish need to give that Dodge of yours something to play with. ;):hug:
my dodge is slow i just like it better than the ol dmax i used to drive.

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
machine work with professional assembly is $5000.

you can still have the professional assembly and machine work be less than $5000. my was less than $9000 and i was pushing 800 hp or a little over. th but i working on some new things to push it a little higher hp wise with a single this year.

Last edited:

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
How much and when do you have to build a Cummins?? Think 10K is about average from a mild build Dmax.
well first let me say i was looking for comparisons on the dmax motors .ie trying to see what builders in other areas charge versus what we get charged around here.as for the dodge my motor is a very basic trial setup.i took a stock motor and took it apart coated the pistons went 2 thousands over max tolerances and had some mild head work done.with r/r and everything i have almost 2500 bucks in it.my engne builder is currently working on a back up motor and i will use custom rods and a bit more head work i am figuring under 5500.current setup is making some were in the 900 hp range and seems to be holding ok but with that kind of hp it can go at any time...

codyn

Aug 26, 2007
urbana ohio
well first let me say i was looking for comparisons on the dmax motors .ie trying to see what builders in other areas charge versus what we get charged around here.as for the dodge my motor is a very basic trial setup.i took a stock motor and took it apart coated the pistons went 2 thousands over max tolerances and had some mild head work done.with r/r and everything i have almost 2500 bucks in it.my engne builder is currently working on a back up motor and i will use custom rods and a bit more head work i am figuring under 5500.current setup is making some were in the 900 hp range and seems to be holding ok but with that kind of hp it can go at any time...

i charge 1500 to pull the motor and 800 to build the motor

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
my prices included machine work and assembly and taking out and putting back in.i do need to add 300 more for a cam i put in though