Wtf frozen again?!

Chris611

Jul 14, 2007
Knoxville, Iowa
I was talking to a diesel mechanic at work and he said that that PS Gray bottle is better for antigel than the white power service.

Ill have to try howes thanks!

I'm pretty sure the grey bottle is a Cetane boost/cleaner only. I don't believe it will help with gelling. If you are using the Grey bottle, I don't think you have any anti-gel protection. Use the white bottles of Power Service. I have used that for 10 years. -23 deg F was the coldest start for me with #2 diesel and Power Service White bottle.

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
Once you wax a filter get rid of it. and if you have bad fuel plan on waxing the next filter quick. It doesn't take much water in it to have issues, the quality of fuel from the truckstop plays a big part in it. I am running a sump and it really hurts me since the heavy water tends to settle to the bottom.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
I'm pretty sure the grey bottle is a Cetane boost/cleaner only. I don't believe it will help with gelling. If you are using the Grey bottle, I don't think you have any anti-gel protection. Use the white bottles of Power Service. I have used that for 10 years. -23 deg F was the coldest start for me with #2 diesel and Power Service White bottle.

Ive been using white. Mechanic suggested gray year round as it is what they use in the fleet vehicles and his trucks. Said it works year round for him. Im gonna try some Howes. Even 911 sitting in the tank didnt do shit. Cranked and ran for about 15 seconds then died. This shit is pissing me off.

Well what gas stations do you all suggest I avoid or go to? And I swear the placement of this filter is stupid. I like how the Fords are right above the nice warm motor.

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
Do you have a lift pump you can run after you add additives to circulate them? I know once your gelled it's alot harder to ungel then to just prevent it. My buddy popped a fass fuse last year it was struggling so bad trying get it going

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Did you drive it with 911 or just add it after parked for the night?

Added this morning before work. Was hoping it would magically make its way through my entire fuel system. (Wishful thinking lol). I have to wait for the lady to get home so I can actually go get a filter. Luckily I can laugh at shit like this. What filter do you guys recommend and is it too late to add howes when she is runnning since there is white PS and PS911 already in the tank?

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
ACDelco or Parker/Racor are the only filters I will use in the stock location.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
We were out at midnight, then again at 400 making sure sure winch trucks were ok, added karosene to fuel and and still spent from 4am to 9am thawing out the loader:( all the trucks were fine tho..-14 sucks

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Which major auto stores carry AC Delco or Parker/Racor? Nobody around here has AC that Ive been able to find

And let me add. Thank yall so much for the responses and help. This is a great community we have here.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
You can unwax a filter, but it takes heat. The once I gelled it was -5 and I had summer fuel and Bio in my truck. I got some 911 and was able to get my truck started it just wouldn't do more then idle. After 1hr or so of idling I could drive it easy. After a few hrs of short trips and idling it was fine unless I went WOT. I finely used my wife's hair drier to thaw out the filter. It worked pretty fast too. Smelled a little like diesel though the next time she dried her hair. She was a trooper and didn't make me buy her a new.:hug:

I've had lots of equipment and semis we've had to build "tents" over and stick a heater on to get them to thaw out. Honestly I have never changed a filter on something that gelled. That I can think of.

Indiana I'm sure your getting winter fuel most places switch over and don't list it anywhere. Truck stops don't sometimes don't since trucks are kept running a lot of the time. Also you might look into 12v heating pads like oil pan heaters. It may have been on DP that some guys where resorting to this, because they where gelling running down the road even.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I was asking about changing the filter as a means of getting it going quickly. Besides that, I'm not sure how much the filter media could be damaged if there is some water in there that is frozen.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I've had lots of equipment and semis we've had to build "tents" over and stick a heater on to get them to thaw out. Honestly I have never changed a filter on something that gelled. That I can think of.

Sounds like us this morning. We ended up stacking 12x12's up to engine bay on our jd644 and put a big torpedo heater on it....pulled the fuel lines to the injector pump and ran compressed air to the tank...forced all the treated fuel into the lines...couple filter refills and away we went lol

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
I'm used to being on the side of the road so I always swap filters. I have had every type of fuel gel with every type of additive but again I run the sump, which I'm going to stop using all additives since they tend to attract the water and sink to the bottom (not so much an issue with a normal pickup straw). I also have a heater pad I need to put on the sump and hope that works. 911 is really hard on the fuel system so I would use as little as you can get away with and only if it actually gels.

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
I'm used to being on the side of the road so I always swap filters. I have had every type of fuel gel with every type of additive but again I run the sump, which I'm going to stop using all additives since they tend to attract the water and sink to the bottom (not so much an issue with a normal pickup straw). I also have a heater pad I need to put on the sump and hope that works. 911 is really hard on the fuel system so I would use as little as you can get away with and only if it actually gels.

Excuse my ignorance, but why is it hard on fuel systems? Because it attracts water? How does that effect the fws on my fass?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I was asking about changing the filter as a means of getting it going quickly. Besides that, I'm not sure how much the filter media could be damaged if there is some water in there that is frozen.

I'm never in such a hurry that I want to go out wrench on something in the cold.:D Sometimes ya got no choice though. I was really surprised on how fast my wife's hair drier did the trick. I had every intent on limping it to my buddies heated shop and doing the filter. Which I should of done since the real problem was the filter was just about plugged up before I even left for the trip.
Ya filter damage is always a concern, but I have yet to damage one. I know it does happen though.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
TP 3012 right? Advanced Auto is holding an AC Delco for me for tomorrow.

0a9f3e9e67e1141b63a93a384039ac7e.jpg

Last edited: