Wtf frozen again?!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
The way I was always told is if a filter gels up it will be full of waxy material even after the fuel has un-gelled.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
The way I was always told is if a filter gels up it will be full of waxy material even after the fuel has un-gelled.

Roger. I'll swap it out.

Didn't mean to come off like an asshole guys. I'm just frustrated and still learning. I sincerely appreciate ALL the help from y'all. So if I did, I'm sorry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Really strange. Started up and running like a champ. Come to think of it last time it gelled up and I swapped the filter there was nothing waxy in it and it seemed fine. It also had less than 1000 miles on it. Weird weird weird. It DOES get me running again when I swap it but after adding additional additive yesterday's it's been running fine. I'm wondering if it's something else.

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
There are just so many variables, I gelled a half dozen times last year so I'm always looking for ways to prevent it. Your case is just weird though :confused:

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
This is welcomed compared to the POS Land Rover I had for a year. Bought it cheap from a friends dad and the thing was as nervous as a long tailed cat in room full of rocking chairs. Always dying and blowing up and leaking and blowing fuses. This truck has been a daisy.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
What's got me perplexed is how the Howes cured this one. It's never worked that quick with 911 unless I dumped it into a new filter. Leads me to think it wasn't the filter. Haven't even changed filters yet and it's idling fine. Gonna run to O'Reilly's real quick.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Rebuild your filter head! :hug: With how you keep describing it I swear you're just sucking in air. The cold fuel is probably just emphasizing it. I've never had my truck gell up besides at my lift pump when I finally installed one. And this was just with normal amount of additive in the tank.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Have you ever cut a filter open to verify it it is gelling or are you only assuming it is because it starts after you change filters?

Ive never actually done that. So an air leak would only cause problems below 0? Because ive never had a problem in normal temps. Im gonna have to look into the air leak thing. Maybe if I but Dustin a few beers he'll give it a once over. Bribery at its finest haha.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
The rebuild kit is way cheaper. However a whole filter housing with a new filter and updated water in fuel sensor for an LBZ isn't too expensive. Unlike one for an LB7 which for some reason is like $300 more!

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
Drain the fuel/water separator at every fill up on any filter that does it. Also it says to tripple the dose with howes the first 3 times. Also it says for diesels to run 1 oz for 2.5 gal of diesel. So 36 oz for 30 gal if I did my math correct. Also I let my truck run for 30 min or so to get everything good and cycled

Howes only says to triple the dose to "clean" the system, and double dose for bio fuels.

I've ran anything from Howes, power service, stanadyne, and Heet red bottle in a pinch. I continue to use Howes because its cheapest option around here, and I've never had my truck gel up with any additive I've used. Stock filter head with CAT filter adapter.

Howes does state an over treat is NOT harmful, so if it gets really cold I'll dump half a jug in :spit:

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
A new filter housing with o.e. filter for your truck is less than $120 shipped on eBay. It's only about $150 from the (local to me) dealer if you want instant gratification.

They can be rebuilt most times but it is possible for them to crack or check balls to fail. And the rebuild won't fix either. So for $120 I usually have people order one online. Then it's 2 bolts 2 hoses and 2 plugs and you're done.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Did you ever pumping the the priming pump to see if it would start? I would hate to wait until next time, but it beats throwing parts at it.

Wait till next time
Pump it if thats a no go then replace the old filter and cut the old one open ASAP before it has a chance to thaw ETC.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Did you ever pumping the the priming pump to see if it would start? I would hate to wait until next time, but it beats throwing parts at it.

Wait till next time
Pump it if thats a no go then replace the old filter and cut the old one open ASAP before it has a chance to thaw ETC.

Was planning to pump but it fired right up first try and has been fine ever since. And I'll give that a shot next time thanks! I was planning on getting the new housing anyway. Trucks got 150,000 on it I figure it coulda started to go up.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm finally caught up with this whole house buying/fixing crap haha. So maybe next weekend we could tackle it? We could use my shop if the weather is crap. Doubt my truck will fixed by then so I'll just park it outside.