Wtf frozen again?!

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Anyone come up with a way to put some type of insulation around liftpump filters that hang down, or even the fuel cooler? Just a thought.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Anyone come up with a way to put some type of insulation around liftpump filters that hang down, or even the fuel cooler? Just a thought.

This is what I did at the end of last winter:

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56425

Unfortunately turbo issues have still prevented me from getting the truck on the road to fully test it.

If I could do it all again I would get the FASS platinum with the heater/coolant ports. Then just insulate all the lines.

Last edited:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I haven't had good luck with power service and my lift pump. I would have to run a triple batch just to keep it from clogging up at the intake of the pump. I switched to Howels and seemed to have better results. Haven't been able to get many miles on the truck since then though.

I just texted this to the OP but what if it's not a gelling issue? Maybe the thick, cold fuel is causing a higher vacuum to be pulled on the supply side and emphasize an air leak??

AKlowriderZ71

May 14, 2012
Wyoming
Weak injectors or weak CP3 are also possibilities for this cold no-start.

I have used blue bottle Stanadyne for years and years with success, in Alaska and Wyoming.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
howes for sure, ive only ever gelled once and that was because i forgot to treat it. also, read the back of the bottle, they say if you gel while using it they will pay the tow bill. not sure how reliable that is because ive never had to use that perk!

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Last year I froze up when I was driving. I do have that problem of when I go WOT and hit 3000 the truck shudders HARD and stops me from accelerating for a second or two. Some have suggested that could be a fuel problem. I wonder if this could all be related?

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Ok so took filter off. Added howes to tank, and halfway up the same filter. Put it on primed it and shes running. That filter was like 3 weeks old. Headed to grab a FEW AC Delcos to keep in the toolbox.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
Excuse my ignorance, but why is it hard on fuel systems? Because it attracts water? How does that effect the fws on my fass?

It strips the lubricity out of the fuel, and winter fuel is bad anyway. Due them mixing#1 and #2 fuel to lower the gel point.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
Yes, be careful with Fuel treatments with emulsifiers. They can allow water to pass into the high pressure fuel system, very hard on injectors and pumps... I realize when your stuck on the side of the road under the hood of your truck, you gotta do what ya gotta do.

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Just got done thawing out my dads lly. His would start and then after 5 min would blow the fuse on his lift pump. I used a heat gun and warmed up the lift pump and the inline filter for 5 minutes or so put a new fuse in for the lift pump and fired it up. We then headed to the fuel station and filled it up. We had been running power services with no problems until this one. I think he actually filled up with a bad tank of fuel and got caught with no additive in the tank @the time of gelling.

On another note I see that fass has a heater kit for their pumps. Any chance that any of you tried to make the heater work on the air dog ll? I really like the air dog ll lift pumps but come winter would be nice to have a glow plug or something in the casting block on a toggle switch or timer to warm the pump case. I imagine it is hard as hell on the pumps trying to pull fuel when its like pancake syrup lol.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
When you know it's going to be cold find someone that sells number 1 and fill it up or top it off and it won't gel. here in nd soon as I see the first cold front(15* and down) coming number 1 and no worries will spring..... also I have had Howes still gell here and power service so I just use 1 and call it day after fighting gelling vehicle's and equipment

elliottw

Jan 23, 2013
ND
I run as much #1 as I can comfortably afford and then top it off with howes and #2. I gelled one time in my life and I had a full tank of #2 and we got a cold snap so as soon as they have #1 at the pumps I put it in, don't want to get stranded and freeze to death in a blizzard lol

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Not everyone has access to #1. I only have access to #2 in my state, they put in winter additives but it still has around 10% bio, the fuel is just shit.