Wtf frozen again?!

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
The red bottle 911 stuff is bad on the fuel system. I don't think it matters so much on the brand of the fuel, it doesn't take much to affect the fuel in this cold. It all depends on the holding tanks and how well they filter the fuel going into your truck. I'm going to try running just #1 this winter and putting some additive in it, I do hear more good things about Howes than any other brand

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Intersting i have never had a dmax gel on me. The powerstrokes would gel at 20* above 0 but not once with the dmax. I do still run powerservice for just incase and i keep heat in my tool box with extra filters.

Kansas atleast my area does not offer any biodiesel at the pumps its all just good ole number 2.

The duece and half is the best though we just put 20% 91 octane gas, a fee gallons used oil and the rest #2. Runs great, too bad you cant do that to a cr.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
Some ****ing hippy who probably drives a prius complained to the apartment office that I plugged my truck in a few nights. Can't people ever mind their own ****ing business? The cord was not remotely in anyones way...some people need to go play in traffic.

Last edited:

zf>allison

you never had your car.
Apr 30, 2013
elsberry mo
The howes I know you double the first tank and are supposed to run it in every tank. I run it no matter if it gets below freezing or not in winter. It got down to 8 last night here and all my buddies trucks running howes are good.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Drain the fuel/water separator at every fill up on any filter that does it. Also it says to tripple the dose with howes the first 3 times. Also it says for diesels to run 1 oz for 2.5 gal of diesel. So 36 oz for 30 gal if I did my math correct. Also I let my truck run for 30 min or so to get everything good and cycled

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
It was like -10 or something overnight. Drain the separator at EVERY fill up? I shouldnt have to do that with a modern vehicle. I just get perplexed at why I am frozen and other guys are driving around like its summer. I partially blame GM for the idiotic placement of the filter. Ford got it right with it on the nice hot block. Dont know where it froze today as immediately after dumping howes in it started and i drove it home and got a ride to work. Tomorrow i will replace yet another filter. I tripled the dose today after I got it running and I let it run a bit. If it runs fine tomorrow should I still replace the filter?

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
Unless I'm doing it wrong I've never gotten any water I can actually see come out of the water seperator. I check it once a year. Drain it into a jar and let it try and separate and it's always diesel only.

It would be interesting to see which filter you are gelling up on though, if you can cut it apart and it will still be waxy.
When I gelled this time last year it was only -26 and my airdog filter and cat filter on engine were both gelled.

I'm wondering if the fuel cooler has something to do with it

Bonestock

Aug 9, 2010
Worland Wy
Not sure if you are running a lift pump or not? Back in November my dad had this issue on his LLY. I kept thinking he was gelled. I tested power to his lift pump and no power. Fuse was blown. He has an raptor 150 pump. I replaced the fuse and heated the pump up for 5 min. It took off and ran fine. Then when it got cold overnight it blew the fuse again. This happened a few times till finally I pulled the lift pump off and pulled it apart. The damn pump seals were shot and the pump had water on the windings of the motor. I cleaned everything up with electrical contact cleaner and resealed the pump also with a light bead of silicone around pump /motor body. Truck has ran fine ever since and its currently -25 here dammmot! Hate the cold would love to move to AZ!

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
Have you ever dropped the tank in that thing? Maybe you have some water collected in the bottom of it that keeps messing with you. Also not sure if you have a lift pump but if not I bet you have a filter head that's leaking in the cold. Have you ever tried to just prime the system and start it? Open the bleeder and pump away like with a filter change.

Gm may not have the easiest access fuel filter but the other two aren't much better. Except the 7.3. 6.0 sucks 6.4 sucks more bc if you don't follow exact procedure it'll air lock and never start and the first gen 6.7 dodges are the king of suck.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I shouldnt have to do that with a modern vehicle. I just get perplexed at why I am frozen and other guys are driving around like its summer. I partially blame GM for the idiotic placement of the filter. Ford got it right with it on the nice hot block.

It has nothing to do with it being a modern vehicle and everything to do with the fuel you get.

Blame whoever you want its no going to do any good. Not to mention there are way more diesels with filters nowhere near a heat source then there are like newer fords.

If you don't figure out whats causing the issue you'll never fix it.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
It has nothing to do with it being a modern vehicle and everything to do with the fuel you get.

Blame whoever you want its no going to do any good. Not to mention there are way more diesels with filters nowhere near a heat source then there are like newer fords.

I'm working on finding it. That's why I posted. Today I'll try to just prime. Truck has aftermarket 45 gallon tank and no lift pump. I've switched gas stations and gelled up again. My point about a "modern vehicle" was that it is ridiculous to have to potentially drive forever to find fuel it can reliably use. It's stupid but if it has to happen it has to happen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andy-stevenson

Jul 7, 2013

X2

I've got my factory filter deleted and just run the airdog with a CAT filter. Trucks seen -40* temps and never had an issue just using a regular dose of white bottle diesel kleen.

My fuel filter hangs down below the frame and I've never had an issue...

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
X2.I wonder how our fuel differs for our neighbors to the south or if it does.My fass filters hang down 4-5" below the frame and never had an issue,even with no additives added.

indiana_jones

LargeFarva
Dec 3, 2013
Ft Collins Colorado
What kind of aftermarket tank do you have, maybe that's part of the problem.

Not sure I'll look at it. I got the truck used and the guy before me was a total retard. Poorly hooked HIDs, bad wiring etc. still fixing his messes. I'll be outside in a few and I'll snap a pic.

While I'm out there should I still replace filter even if the truck runs fine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk