What did you do to your home/shop today?

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
looks good for now. probably should have used a urethane based product. I would have used polyurea. my experience will tell me even with a UV resistant top coat it will still noticably start to "yellow" (actually more green) within a few months if exposed to constant sun. we always had problems right at the doorways that lead to the outside. there was always a noticeable area a few feet in that turned greenish. one year was enough to make the epoxy change to the point that it made the color under hard to see. any area that was exposed we would normally use polyuria or polyaspartic.

if you have a Sherwin Williams near, I'd ask them for some GP4844A01 & GP4844B01. UV resistant, high and low temperature tolerance, good impact toughness and excellent chemical resistance. only issue is it cures really fast so if you are not experienced then it can be a mess to use. data sheet will tell you that you can't go more then 15 mills but we successfully used it at more then 100 mills with no issues. a few oz. of Sherwin Williams reducer 132 also helps the flow and extended the working time a little. but since you've already finished this is probably moot. but maybe for next time or if you get the itch to redo it

Thanks! I've been using Total Boat products. Halcyon was what I used for a top coat. It cures really fast too. I had to crank my AC all the way up and still had some brush marks in it. I'll see how healthy I'm does and if I start notice anything I'll probably go to the Sherwin Williams then. The epoxy world really has me sour after this project. It will probably be my last one until there are more advancments in the industry. Everybody claims how good their shit is and then I did test samples just to realize it didn't hold up, wasn't as clear, or the color wasn't quite right. I've had enough of this project taking up room in my shop and I still got benches to make.

I don't know what all you do for woodworking. But total boat has a wood paint penetrating epoxy that's awesome. That's what I used on my patio. I did finish it with Spar Urathane, but it looks terrific now after a year.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I went through that same experience too. after talking to a few manufacturers chemists they've basically stated that it doesn't matter what claims are being made by the sales and marketing team, the limits of the epoxy chemistry are what's holding it back. its basically at the end of its road and the technology has been pushed as far as it can go. so no traditional bisphenol A or F epoxy is UV resistant even if they claim it is or have blockers or pixy dust in it. Bisphenol F epoxy has better chemical resistance and higher psi rating and slightly higher heat tolerance but it's about the same cost as a novolac epoxy which is better still but all are rooted in the same chemistry so suffer from UV attack.

for that reason many manufacturers are pushing their urethane resins and also pushing the claims too inorder to get above the competition. the main issue with urethane is it's inability to properly cure if applied too thick as they incorporate an oxygen molecule from the environment to cure and if it's too thick the oxygen can't penetrate deep enough. therefore it maxes out at a few mills. they are also extremely difficult to bond too so recoating is not easy.

over the last 20 or so years more research has probably been put into polyuria and polyaspartic then any other formula. not too many years ago the patent for a formula that was cheaper to produce and still had excellent properties expired so many more jumped on board to try their hand at manufacturing their own version. these chemistries have perhaps the best compromise for properties with UV resistance, high heat and chemical tolerance. fast and slow curing verities. can be formulated to cure in below freezing weather. and toughness is awesome. same basic stuff as truck bed liners and anti frag coating on AR500. they still suffer from film thickness restrictions but can generally be put down much thicker then urethane and recoating is still difficult. very easy to make water clear but can become slightly hazy if too thick

Reactions: Dozerboy

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Been helping my brother with his newly acquired camp trailer. Installing some solar, additional deep cycle batteries, 1k watt pure sine wave inverter and transfer switch. Got all the heavy wiring done. Batteries hooked up. Just need to button up a few items and do some testing. See how long it takes the solar to charge the batteries and how long the AC will run on the batteries. Stuff like that so he knows his limits

520 watts of solar. 2x 260 watt panels wired in series for about 60-70 volts in the sun
IMG_20230625_180615-01.jpeg

4x 225 ah 6 volt deep cycle batteries. Wired 2 series 2 parallel for 12 volts at 450 ah
IMG_20230625_175956-01.jpeg

1k watt PSW inverter that is hardwired to the transfer switch so you can choose the inverter or the cord to supply the power to the trailer circuit panel. 1 for the inverter, 0 for none or off, and 2 for the cord. Short test and it did run the AC on low. Pulled about 90 amps from the batteries. So a theoretical four hours of run time not counting the contribution of the solar or if anything else is running
IMG_20230701_202501-01.jpeg

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I’ve always heard that kind of amp draw will kill those lead acid batteries in a hurry. As in internal shorts or hurts cells. Supposably going lithium is the only way to get multiple cycles out of the batteries but I don’t know.

Very curious how it stands up, Jason and your thoughts on what I’ve heard

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I’ve always heard that kind of amp draw will kill those lead acid batteries in a hurry. As in internal shorts or hurts cells. Supposably going lithium is the only way to get multiple cycles out of the batteries but I don’t know.

Very curious how it stands up, Jason and your thoughts on what I’ve heard
I've only heard this for old or neglected batteries. Basically sulfates and other corrosion builds up on the plates. When you charge or discharge it at a high rate they can flake off and jamp between the plates shorting them out. There is also the chance that with older batteries small flakes of lead or sulfate have accumulated at the bottom of the battery and by do a high charge/discharge you can introduce bubbling and stir up the electrolyte bringing the flakes up to the plates and shorting them out.

Regular use of equalization about once a month should keep the sulfates to a minimum and electrolyte stirred up so the lead can (hopefully) recombine with it plate.

These batteries are, supposedly, rated for 75 amps output. Or at least have a rating for it. Wether that is just a calculated rate ir it is actually capable of it is unknown. But, the fact that we have the batteries in pairs means when drawing the 90 amps, it's only actually drawing 45 amps from each battery. That is not that much from these cells.

And since there is about 500 watts of solar that can help back up the current draw with it's own current of probably 25 amps average that should lessen the load on the batteries. Assuming the AC is only used on the hottest part of the day when the sun os directly above. More then likely it will be used for an hour at the end of the day too cool off the camper before turning in for the night.

jlawles2

Jan 28, 2010
Danbury, TX
There are a couple of members of a camper forum I am on that use LA vs LI batteries for inverters. Keeping the amp draw in range is part of the equation, the other is maintaining voltage. Typically the capacity given for a battery is 2x what the safe discharge limit is. Keep battery voltage above 12.2 for a 12V battery and you should be good. For a 6V it would be 6.1V. Basically 50% of charge or better is the goal.

You might want to invest in a maintainer that has conditioning and once a month or so hit each battery for a day if possible. The conditioner pushes a small AC charge through the battery to help with sulfating problems.

1688474566481.png

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
There are a couple of members of a camper forum I am on that use LA vs LI batteries for inverters. Keeping the amp draw in range is part of the equation, the other is maintaining voltage. Typically the capacity given for a battery is 2x what the safe discharge limit is. Keep battery voltage above 12.2 for a 12V battery and you should be good. For a 6V it would be 6.1V. Basically 50% of charge or better is the goal.

You might want to invest in a maintainer that has conditioning and once a month or so hit each battery for a day if possible. The conditioner pushes a small AC charge through the battery to help with sulfating problems.

View attachment 116230
Yes, I'm well aware of the discharge limits of lead acid. 50% is pushing it though. Better to keep to at 80% and above if you want any life out of them. That's why we doubled up the batteries so they don't run down as far

The solar charger has an equalizer that comes on one every 30 days that works well to prevent sulfation. As for using AC to desulfating, that wouldn't work well at all. You want pulsed DC. And I have another thread about making one yourself here

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Lost the little oil fill plug on my bottle jack and was tired of leaking oil so I soldered a nut on the hole and used a little screw with an O ring to seal it up

IMG_20230709_185242-01.jpeg

Reactions: wydopenLb7 and 68ss