Well there goes my chances of 9s this year

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Did anyone see on FB Jeremy Wagler testing rods? Stock vs his street fighter & Socals street? Claims the Socals are Chinese. This plus the broken billet hold down thread makes me wonder......

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I think he's doing it now because Callies rods hit the market. Jeremy and I went back and forth a bit on FB about the Callies rods (not in a bad way) as to why the consumer, these days, doesn't care where it comes from as long as it's a quality part that meets their needs. Their market price being ~$500 cheaper is hurting his sales/market share I bet (and it should for good reason). The Callies rods in the 6.0L Powerstroke and gas drag markets have been great items.

For a $500 savings to have an apples-to-apples rod for 1k builds I'd choose the Callies every time as $500 goes a fair way toward some other items.

As for the hold downs, I'm the one who sold those SoCal hold downs. The answer I keep getting from SoCal is that its an "issue with heat treat". I got told his last set (that 2 broke out of) were all 100% hardness tested by Guy/Gabe and then sent out, that appears to have not been the case or it was still a super shallow heat treat job.

Reactions: 1FastBrick

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
As for the hold downs, I'm the one who sold those SoCal hold downs. The answer I keep getting from SoCal is that its an "issue with heat treat". I got told his last set (that 2 broke out of) were all 100% hardness tested by Guy/Gabe and then sent out, that appears to have not been the case or it was still a super shallow heat treat job.
Due to what looks like way too large grain growth, I'm going to say it's too high heat treatment temperature. Measuring the hardness is really only getting half the picture. One can temper out the hardness some and land within HRC spec but if the austenitizing temperature was too high to begin with then they will always be brittle. You can't really temper your way out of this. The only remedy is to run them through the normalizing and heat treatment at the correct temperature. This is why we don't just rely on just hardness testing but also tests like the charpy impact test

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Due to what looks like way too large grain growth, I'm going to say it's too high heat treatment temperature. Measuring the hardness is really only getting half the picture. One can temper out the hardness some and land within HRC spec but if the austenitizing temperature was too high to begin with then they will always be brittle. You can't really temper your way out of this. The only remedy is to run them through the normalizing and heat treatment at the correct temperature. This is why we don't just rely on just hardness testing but also tests like the charpy impact test
That's good info. I do have a BSME but we did not go through a crazy amount of heat treatment. I know I have a great contact here at work that was a leading heat treatment guy at one of the country's largest heat treatment facilities.

After this fiasco I am heavily considering making some hold downs myself and selling them somewhere between PDM and SoCal price wise. I'm putting some feelers out there.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Did anyone see on FB Jeremy Wagler testing rods? Stock vs his street fighter & Socals street? Claims the Socals are Chinese. This plus the broken billet hold down thread makes me wonder......

Most of the Rod forgings for all companies are done in China.

Reactions: Bdsankey

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard

I found this, is this what you are referring to?

wagler rod test.JPG

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Brendan, Jon has a set of 4.075 forged ovals on the shelf. And Jeremy Wagler has 2 sets of Ross 4.075 forged, OE pin.

But he also has Hemi top fuel pin Ross on the shelf too, and since you need new rods I would encourage you to switch to them. Around 100 grams lighter per cylinder.

Reactions: juddski88

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
i actually talked to the sales department at wagler a few times I’m still waiting on a quote he said probably won’t be till next week… I got a call today saying the crank is all good to go.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Brendan, Jon has a set of 4.075 forged ovals on the shelf. And Jeremy Wagler has 2 sets of Ross 4.075 forged, OE pin.

But he also has Hemi top fuel pin Ross on the shelf too, and since you need new rods I would encourage you to switch to them. Around 100 grams lighter per cylinder.

CP hybrid setup is lighter yet at 1/2lb per cyl loss (~226 grams).

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
i actually talked to the sales department at wagler a few times I’m still waiting on a quote he said probably won’t be till next week… I got a call today saying the crank is all good to go.
That's good your crank is ok. One of the engines I have here now cracked a motorsports cast, then was ran without oil just long enough to scuff one rod journal on the Callies crank. I just got word it cleaned up fine.

This stuff sure snowballs, as far as cost is concerned.

Reactions: DieselDemon18

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Hahaha yeah it sure does… and it was definitely a bad end to the year for us duramax guys in pa…. Assuming those 2 engines you have are from around here.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Is the one on the left the old design? Looks slightly thicher and stronger than the one on the right. How's the thickness of the internal web between the two?