Well there goes my chances of 9s this year

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
So I’m going to start getting my parts list together… I pulled 6 perfectly good Carrillo rods out I was thinking what your guys thoughts are on reusing those 6? Can I just order 2 or do they need to be ordered in a set? Should I even reuse them or go a different route?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
As mentioned you can have them inspected.

Even if the small end needs to be re-bushed, it's cheaper than all new rods. I don't know if you have the original rod weights but if you do or if you can measure them they can get you some that will be a close match. Other wise they will just grab what ever is on the shelf and send it to you.

They might even have a service that you can send them in for inspection/ reconditioning and then they can match some up for you to complete the set.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Seems about impossible to get a hold of anyone at Carrillo after e mails and countless phone calls I still can’t reach anyone. And I think I’m definitely going forged. I sent the crank to shaftech in findlay Ohio to get checked out not too far from wagler. I might just send it to them have them put it in a block with billet mains send my rods and it seems they are pushing ross pistons lately. I think In 5 years or so since I’ve owned the truck I don’t even think I’ve put 2000 miles on it so I think I’ll be ok going forged.

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Thats too bad you can't get any one to answer. A local Engine machine shop can inspect them as well. Maybe you will get lucky and just need two replacements to make a whole set again.

Do you know which version of rod you had? Page 72 - 73

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
When I emailed Carrillo in 2020 to ask about checking the set of rods I have, they said they could not do it due to lack of employees. I would imagine that hasnt changed.

Reactions: 1TRIKHD

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
I’m not sure on which ones I have they all have a faint hand engraved number on them but those are the only numbers I can find.. I’ll have to look again and see if any of the numbers match the part numbers on the website…. And like you said I’ll probably just end up taking them to a machine shop I’m sure they would have better connections on getting 2 replacements.

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
Well I finally talked to someone at carrillo. They have changed the design since and they could custom make me new ones (4 minimum). Looks like I’m buying new rods.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
So they can custom make the previous design? Did they give you a price? What about only two of the newer style? If the weights match I don't see an issue mixing new / old style rods

Bbuchanan11

Sep 9, 2011
Sarver, PA
It was just shy of 2grand for 4…. and I’m not so sure I want to run 6 old design rods on a new motor… what if it was the rod that broke and not the piston ya know?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Damn... at 2K for a set of 4 your not far off from a new set. Plus you will need to have the old one's looked over.

IMO it only makes since to go new at this point...

Reactions: TheBac and 2004LB7

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
It was just shy of 2grand for 4…. and I’m not so sure I want to run 6 old design rods on a new motor… what if it was the rod that broke and not the piston ya know?

Well in that case, wanna sell those 6?

I'm surprised they quoted that much for 4 rods, it's not like it would be hard to load the old program and tooling. Did they mention what the updates were?

Reactions: GMC-ya!

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well in that case, wanna sell those 6?

I'm surprised they quoted that much for 4 rods, it's not like it would be hard to load the old program and tooling. Did they mention what the updates were?
That's assuming they still have the old tooling. My guess is they gave a high price to not only ignore the custom request but to also sell a full set of new/improved design rods.

Reactions: malibu795

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Did anyone see on FB Jeremy Wagler testing rods? Stock vs his street fighter & Socals street? Claims the Socals are Chinese. This plus the broken billet hold down thread makes me wonder......

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk