LLY: Type/Brand of Engine coolant

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I know what your saying but how does one go about checking it when he has mostly water in he's res? IMO he'll have to drain off some then make the adjustment.

Like I said it's no big deal I'm just anal about my stuff . Here in Ct we have to worry about sub zero temps like better then 10 below and it can get above 100 degrees also so I would want to know I'm real close to what I would need.

Thats why I would never do it that way. Might work for some but I'd premix at 50/50 which is 99.9% of all manufactures recommendations for maximum protection. Doing it that way even tho there might be pure water left in the system when doing a flush means that what you put back in is more then what you would probably need so a little extra dilution wouldn't be a big deal.

Like I said I'm just anal so I'm going to recommend what I would personally do necessary or not. :D

Lol understandable. There is mixture happening in the resi, its just much slower at happening. after a day or so of driving, it should have a mixture very close to that of whats actually in the motor and radiator.

Your way is definitly easier to know whats goin on.

What im gettin at is if you know you put 2 gal of one in and 2 gal of the other in, there should be no need to check if everything was drained previously.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
eh Ive never bothered to premix it. If im filling up a truck that is "dry"...I just put in a gallon of straight coolant, then a gallon of water, etc. If I end on an odd number (IE, ive got one more gallon of coolant in than water, or vice versa) I dont lose sleep over it. Honestly, its not gonna hurt anything.

A closed circuit cooling system with degas bottle is constantly cycling. Which is what all of the 99+ GM trucks/SUV's have. If you dont premix it when you are filling it up, the engine will mix it for you the first time the thermostats open.....

A degas bottle is NOT the same as your typical radiator "overflow" tank that only gets sucked in when cold...!!!!

My truck has seen -30* and +110* and have never had any problems with my non-premixed (and most of the time very-sloppily-calculated/not-perfect-ratio-of water/coolant) coolant.

If your engine is heating up to the point where you "MUST have perfect ratio otherwise its gonna boil", then you have other, more serious problems. With the normal temp ranges that these engines run 99% of the time, you can be pretty far out either way (too much coolant, too much water) and its probably not gonna make a difference unless you are pulling up some steep hill when its 120* outside in your overheating LLY......

JMO.

ben

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Well your young Ben so you've been lucky! :D

I'm not promoting perfectness I just wouldn't take a chance when it's so avoidable. I also know there are differences in these systems compared to the old puke tank and radiator systems.

I also like to premix my antifreeze but will not go as far to buy the premixed! Who ever thought that up at Prestone should be the highest paid employee to get stupid people to pay nearly as much for a whole gallon of pure antifreeze that is half h2o! Brilliant :D

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Wow this thing really blew up lol.

I'm not sure how many miles have been driven since Saturday the 4th. Not even really my truck it's my father in laws. But I wish it were mine.

Anyway when I dropped it off I explained in good detail how to. He k the level for the next few days. When I have a chance I'll go over and check it again. I figure there is around 40/60 coolant and water in there right now so I know it's not going to be dark orange.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
As soon as the stats open, you get some circulation through the degas bottle like Ben said, so don't lose sleep over it. As for the little clip, once you pull em off they will loosen up some. That is why I normally crunch em just a tad so they go back in nice and tight, but if your not careful you will bend it and it's junk. And water under pressure can go to well over 230 degrees before it will boil, so don't worry about the perfect mixture either. At atmospheric pressure water will boil at 212 obviously, but 15 pounds of pressure will push that to about 230-235 degrees.

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Ok cool.

I'll check that out to next time I go over there. That clip being loose kinda worried me.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
*Update*

I was able to check to coolant level in the truck it's now mixed in 500 miles. Had four balls floating and no sign of a leak from the lower hose.

I appreciate all of your input and look forward to asking more questions.

Thank You.

Sent from my iPhone 4s