LLY: Type/Brand of Engine coolant

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Ok so I just gone done flushing the cooling system until the water coming from the lower rad hose clear. Then. Added 2gal of coolant and 3 gal water. The coolant in the over flow bottle is only slightly orange. How long will it take to mix properly?

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Also the snap ring in the quick connect dose seem to fit as snugly as before I can move it with my finger. It's not leaking and I drove it about 40 miles after that and still not leaking. I'm just a little wierry about it.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Just noticed my typos sorry.

The snap ring dose NOT fit as snugly as before. I can move it quite a bit with my finger. I don't see any leaks from the notorious oring. Also I poured in about 2 gal of water and 2 gal of coolent consentrate. The water in the "over flow" is only slightly orange. How long should it take to fully mix where I can test it?

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
You didn't premix the coolant 50/50 before poring it in? Talk about hot spots and in adequate cooling!! Thats just plum crazy! I know someone who cracked a block doing just what you did on a fresh rebuild on a Chevy 350.

You should premix IMO!

The coolant in the reservoir is only being drawn in when the level drops in the radiator it doesn't flow through the entire system.

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
No I didn't. I thought that sense the over flow bottle was a closed system it cycled through.

My xterra is a closed system an it cycles through the bottle

Sent from my iPhone 4s

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
Really how do you figure although I never seen a Xterra. Unless it has a hose coming out and a hose going in it does not cycle threw. On a closed system there is a hose that is in the bottom of the res tank that by vacuum it is sucked out or blown back into the res as the radiator level expands and contracts.

Now if you could fill the rad directly ,which you cannot on these trucks that I'm aware of ,then it will cycle or flow around and eventually mix. What is in the system now has probably "mixed" but I would NOT recommend doing it this way but mix it 50/50 before pouring in. What your creating is hot spots or did create IMO.

On edit: Plus you have no accurate way to test your protection to see if you have added enough antifreeze. Also what is the majority of the res tank,water or antifreeze? What was poured in second water or antifreeze in other words?

Last edited:

Wyley87

Jul 21, 2012
Texas
Water was second. Some water remained in the system. I then poured in two gal of streight coolant the 2 1/2 gal water.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I guess it depends how anal you are. :D

I don't know exactly what percentage mix you have obtained for heat and cold protection or if it's adequate. If it was my truck I'd have to know,then again I'm anal!

So I'd drain off enough only to test . Depending on what you discover would dictate what I would do next.

How many "mixing" miles do you have on the flush?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
i wouldnt worry about IMOP. the waterpump is gunna mix it all up anyhow. If your really worried about it, pull the thermostats, find away to seal the elbow you just pulled back onto the crossover bridge (grab a big open washer and put the o-rings around that so it seals the neck when you bolt it back down) and let it idle for 5-10 min. it will have mixed all up after that. you run more of a risk of hurting something with air in the system than a few little spots of non mixed up antifreeze.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
i wouldnt worry about IMOP. the waterpump is gunna mix it all up anyhow. If your really worried about it, pull the thermostats, find away to seal the elbow you just pulled back onto the crossover bridge (grab a big open washer and put the o-rings around that so it seals the neck when you bolt it back down) and let it idle for 5-10 min. it will have mixed all up after that. you run more of a risk of hurting something with air in the system than a few little spots of non mixed up antifreeze.

I agree it will eventually mix but since he said some water was left in then he dumped in the antifreeze then more water how does he know where he sits as far as Boil over and Freeze ups? To much antifreeze is the same as to little from what I recall.

When I flushed my system or any vehicle for that matter I always checked the freeze/boil points to ensure it was adequate.It's the correct thing to do. I also don't blow up my condoms to ensure they hold air either.

But as Fingers says what do I know?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I agree it will eventually mix but since he said some water was left in then he dumped in the antifreeze then more water how does he know where he sits as far as Boil over and Freeze ups? To much antifreeze is the same as to little from what I recall.

When I flushed my system or any vehicle for that matter I always checked the freeze/boil points to ensure it was adequate.It's the correct thing to do. I also don't blow up my condoms to ensure they hold air either.

But as Fingers says what do I know?

after you let the truck run for a few minutes it should be no issue to check and see where your at. worst case you drain some out and add some more anitfreeze and/or water. If the block and radiator were drained after the flush and you add 2 gal of anitfreeze in and 2 gal of water, your damn near a 50/50 mixture with what little water MIGHT be left in the system. using those hydrometers are not EXACT to whats in your system and its one hell of a hard time to get an exact measurment with a closed system. your never gunna be spot on. Its not like we are talking about trying to mix water with oil here. antifreeze and water intermingle with one another very well :D

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I know what your saying but how does one go about checking it when he has mostly water in he's res? IMO he'll have to drain off some then make the adjustment.

Like I said it's no big deal I'm just anal about my stuff . Here in Ct we have to worry about sub zero temps like better then 10 below and it can get above 100 degrees also so I would want to know I'm real close to what I would need.

Thats why I would never do it that way. Might work for some but I'd premix at 50/50 which is 99.9% of all manufactures recommendations for maximum protection. Doing it that way even tho there might be pure water left in the system when doing a flush means that what you put back in is more then what you would probably need so a little extra dilution wouldn't be a big deal.

Like I said I'm just anal so I'm going to recommend what I would personally do necessary or not. :D