Twins with Twins, Anyone?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Well,, I started today off by stabbing myself in the forearm with a pick tool that was laying on top of the outdrive. Drove that little sucker into the muscle about 2" deep, to the point I couldn't pull it out. And no I didn't take any pictures..

Luckily my new found helper isn't squeamish, and was able to yank it out while I held the skin down. Was like pulling an arrow out of a foam backstop. So while I was at the local quick care getting a tetanus shot, he was free to sort out the last injector issue. Came back to two running engines with stable balance rates.

Then we noticed one of the prop shafts is bent. :mad: Spent rest of the day chasing down a dial indicator. Sure enough, it's tweaked at least 0.060 at the seal. But not gonna let that hold up progress. Tomorrow we're back on the water.

Digmax

Jan 23, 2016
12 weeks to have it rigged and be on the water. At least in time to make the Cumberland poker run and maybe go to LOTO if the client wants. Then she gets shipped home to Australia, just in time for summer boating season over there..
Might be a minute yet.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
i bet they are rooster tailen right now and we get a bitchen video tonight :cool2::cool2:

Close but no cookie...

Engines and trans performed great. Besides the port lift pump kicking off and on a couple times due to a bad weather-pack connector, everything checked out.

However the 4 blade props we have on there would unhook just about the time she was ready to nose over. Tried bunch of trim setups, but she just wouldn't get up on top the water. So I sourced a different set of props for tomorrow. Did collect a good bit of engine data, reviewing that now.

Here is a gopro clip. https://youtu.be/gGf-zLbNPV4

Sorry I had the sound turned off. But she's finally, makeing waves... :woott: :woott:

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I'm not a boat guy, so can someone explain what the props unhooking means? Is that like cavitation? Like the boat is getting ready to pop up on plane, but it just spins the props like a burnout instead of putting the power down?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Gonna try a little lower pitch with six blades tomorrow. The video above is in low-range, where it just peals em loose soon as she starts to boost.

Highest boost we recorded was 20psi. But they still saw 3700rpm a few times totally unloaded.

Attachments

• Port-Unloaded-Prop-Cav.jpg
    Port-Unloaded-Prop-Cav.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 51

gmc502

Jan 16, 2011
Gonna try a little lower pitch with six blades tomorrow. The video above is in low-range, where it just peals em loose soon as she starts to boost.

Highest boost we recorded was 20psi. But they still saw 3700rpm a few times totally unloaded.

what dia. are the props you tried?and whats the dia. of the 6 blades,,sometimes a 1/4" makes a big difference.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Ken can't help him I don't think. Lol. He is super sharp with outboards though. I had a big power sporty that was burning up his wheels, had to go with Veem. No problems since, just an FYI if it starts burning them up...