Towing Compounds

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I figured heat might be an issue which I’m ok with experimenting with as I did some cooling upgrades and I live in the Midwest so it doesnt get to crazy hot all that often. As for stress, as in a lot of torque at a low rpm?

The heat he's talking about isn't ambient heat, its the heat generated by the truck running those RPM with that load. That is a lot of EGT to deal with which will spike coolant and oil temps. Holding 6th is a great concept but if you don't have the cooling system to keep up with the extra heat load you're just going to cook parts.

Last edited:

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
The heat he's talking about isn't ambient heat, its the heat generated by the truck running those RPM with that load. That is a lot of EGT to deal with which will spike coolant and oil temps. Holding 6th is a great concept but if you don't have the cooling system to keep up with the extra heat load you're just going to cook parts.

For example, on a 6spd truck, putting it into tow/haul will turn of 6th gear on OEM programming.
Right I definitely understand that, but with cooler ambient temps would help with trying to keep coolant and oil temps in check. I do have some cooling mods done to the truck too to help out. I read the oil cooling post on here and got me a 2020 oil cooler set up, mishimoto colder thermostats and a Kennedy fan clutch(cleaned my cooling stack when I put the clutch in a month ago, might make that a yearly maintenance deal). And like I said I’m willing to experiment with things and see how it works out for me. If I have issues with keeping temps in check I’ll just manually drop a gear til I can get an oil cooler set up (which I read might be tricky with the 2020 cooler but can be doable)

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
For your interior concern, doesn't the older escalade seats have cooling on them? Like the 03-07?
Only heating. The factory cooling feature was later I think around 2010 or so. I don't deal with too many Cadillac's so not sure exactly when it started.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Only heating. The factory cooling feature was later I think around 2010 or so. I don't deal with too many Cadillac's so not sure exactly when it started.
According to the factory wiring diagram, the 2005 Escalade ESV had heated+cooled seats. Actually used a Peltier thermoelectric device to do the heating/cooling, so it was properly cooled air. The non-Cadillac stuff only had heat. The later ones aren't even real cooling, it's now just a fan to blow cabin-temp air around. Probably works 90% as well, honestly.
escalade.gif

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
According to the factory wiring diagram, the 2005 Escalade ESV had heated+cooled seats. Actually used a Peltier thermoelectric device to do the heating/cooling, so it was properly cooled air. The non-Cadillac stuff only had heat. The later ones aren't even real cooling, it's now just a fan to blow cabin-temp air around. Probably works 90% as well, honestly.
View attachment 104319

So the question becomes, how hard would it be to run them as standalone? Being an 02 I can't even flash the BCM to have that ability.

RMJ_LB7

Feb 25, 2020
California
Thats my concern as well, I have been wanting to swap the escalade seats into my truck since mine are ripped but standalone might be an issue. Wouldnt be able to just make switches?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Thats my concern as well, I have been wanting to swap the escalade seats into my truck since mine are ripped but standalone might be an issue. Wouldnt be able to just make switches?

That was my question.

The thing that I don't know is how they're controlled. IE I don't know if the BCM controls the heating/cooling elements (cycling them) or if it just flips the corresponding relay on and the logic side of it is in the seat mechanism.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Cooled seats are a fan blowing cabin air on your butt and back. It might somehow tie in to the vents running to the back of the truck/car, but there isnt a separate ac unit in the seats. :LOL: That said, it does actually work like it says in will during the summer. ;)

I guess my generation Fusion has an issue with the TED modules shorting out like our fan motors/plugs do. Its all the same repair.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
2020 trucks suck air through the seats like the dodges. Fairly sure the 17-19 trucks do the same. Works way better than trying to blow air through the seat and creating a ton of head pressure.

If it was actual cooled air, your ass and back would get pretty damn cold, mine gets cold enough as is

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
Correct. Only some GM trucks/SUV’s actually got A/C cooled seats rather than just a fan that pulls heat away from your body. You’ll notice some have switches for the cooling seats that have an A/C letter etching in them vs just a diagram for cooling. You can imagine how many customers that own Cadillacs that would come in and say their A/C cooled seats suck and then you have to tell them it’s only fan cooled and salesman didn’t know what they were talking about lol

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Cooled seats are a fan blowing cabin air on your butt and back. It might somehow tie in to the vents running to the back of the truck/car, but there isnt a separate ac unit in the seats. :LOL: That said, it does actually work like it says in will during the summer. ;)

I guess my generation Fusion has an issue with the TED modules shorting out like our fan motors/plugs do. Its all the same repair.

Yeah, I get its a fan blowing air and not actual A/C or something like a TED but its better than not having it. My concern with the swap wouldn't be the cooled side, it would be making sure the heated side still operates because I believe they are BCM controlled on 03+ but am not positive.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
As far as I know, the cooled seats were only available on the 2004-2006 Platinum Escalade ESV, and they do have a cooling element to them. Here's how they work:

Each heated/cooled seat is controlled by a climate control seat module (CCSM) located under the seat cushion. The CCSM is supplied with battery voltage, ignition voltage, ground, and a mode signal circuit. All heat/cool seat modes will operate with the ignition on without the engine running, although due to the high current draw inconsistent operation could occur. When verifying a customer concern doing so with a fully charged battery and the engine running will provide the most consistent results. The CCSM controls heat/cool seat ventilation blowers located under the seat cushion and behind the seat back. The ventilation blowers are self contained electronic air conditioners consisting of a blower motor with an inlet air filter, thermal electric device (TED), temperature sensor, and waste air duct. The air flow from the blower is divided into 2 streams and directed across both sides of the TED, one side into vent passages through the seat foam and the other out the waste air duct. While the system is operating in either the heat or cool modes both heated and cooled air is generated as it passes across the TED. When voltage is applied to a TED, one side releases energy as heat, while the opposite side absorbs energy and gets cold. The supply voltage to the TEDs is controlled by the CCSM and the polarity determines which side gets hot or cool. When the polarity of the current flow to the TEDs is switched, the hot and cool sides of the TED reverse. The CCSM monitors the temperature of the air flow into the seat foam and continuously adjusts the blower speed and TED temperature by regulating the current flow through each component. The CCSMs rely on inputs from temperature sensors located in the ventilation blowers near the TEDs to control seat temperatures. The thermistors are 2 wire sensors supplied with a 5-volt referenced signal circuit and a low reference circuit from the CCSM. Resistance through the thermistors varies with temperature causing the heated seat sensor signal circuit voltage levels to decrease as the TED temperatures rise.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Sounds like a giant pain the rear to try and swap in plus the expensive replacement if something does fail unlike a fan style blower from Katzkin that just blows cabin air at your rump.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Sounds like a giant pain the rear to try and swap in plus the expensive replacement if something does fail unlike a fan style blower from Katzkin that just blows cabin air at your rump.
Yeah, but unlike the style that just blows air, they actually get cold.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah, but unlike the style that just blows air, they actually get cold.

100% agree. I don't have the stupid hot temps you guys down south have, I'm just looking for something to move air to cool the rump. How would I end up controlling the Cadillac seats if I tried to swap them into my 02?

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
As far as I know, the cooled seats were only available on the 2004-2006 Platinum Escalade ESV, and they do have a cooling element to them.
Do you happen to know if they were Standard Equipment or if it was an option on those models?