Help: torquing converter bolts

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
After some thought on the subject:

I doubt it has anything to do with extension torsional flex.

you've been arguing the exact opposite in your last posts.... which is it.... pick a side and stick with it or admit that your possibly wrong dont suddenly change your stance because a few others have

Does anyone disagree you can loosen a too tight bolt easier without extensions?

easier ...??? no....

it requires the same amount of torque to loosen a given bolt with or without an extension so technically its not easier.

using an extension does require you to oppose the socket trying to twist off the fastener though

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
are you kidding me 8 pages to say that as long as torque does not exceed the torsional streingth of the extension it is acurate and if does it is not ! just because the lawyers cant excpect a person make make a common sence judgement they put it in the instructions to cover there ass :rofl:but i have heard the same as mike stated in a mech training i went to cant remember wich one though :confused:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
are you kidding me 8 pages to say that as long as torque does not exceed the torsional streingth of the extension it is acurate and if does it is not ! just because the lawyers cant excpect a person make make a common sence judgement they put it in the instructions to cover there ass :rofl:but i have heard the same as mike stated in a mech training i went to cant remember wich one though :confused:
We're only on page 6. I guess the paint fumes are getting to you... :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
you've been arguing the exact opposite in your last posts.... which is it.... pick a side and stick with it or admit that your possibly wrong dont suddenly change your stance because a few others have

easier ...??? no....

it requires the same amount of torque to loosen a given bolt with or without an extension so technically its not easier.

using an extension does require you to oppose the socket trying to twist off the fastener though

Tighten a bolt with a 2ft extension one-handed and get back with me...

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Tighten a bolt with a 2ft extension one-handed and get back with me...

A 1/4" bolt to 3 ft/lbs wouldn't be so bad, but I'ld like to see him tighten a 1" bolt to 200 ft/lbs one handed :rofl: If he can do it correctly, I would hate to piss him off :D

Hell, Ben what did your head studs get tightened too? It took me two arms (one to pull and one to keep the wrench perpendicular) and some of my 225lbs to get those to the proper final torque :eek:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
A 1/4" bolt to 3 ft/lbs wouldn't be so bad, but I'ld like to see him tighten a 1" bolt to 200 ft/lbs one handed :rofl: If he can do it correctly, I would hate to piss him off :D

Hell, Ben what did your head studs get tightened too? It took me two arms (one to pull and one to keep the wrench perpendicular) and some of my 225lbs to get those to the proper final torque :eek:

I forget, but we did have an extension on there so who knows what the "real" torque of the bolts is! :D :stirthepot:

ben

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I agree with what my torque wrench instructions say. I try not to overthink things.

i would follow them too, because if i had a choice between my head gasket being over torque 6 lbs or under torqued 6 lbs i would pick over torqued ! because the real deal is you have no idea wich one you got , way to many variables .

mainer

Nov 11, 2008
just saying that using the extension to torque his head bolts hasnt caused him any issues ..... so the torque must not be low from the use of an extension

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Shaft is yielding? Isn't that what I have been saying? I watch shafts bend every day under a lot of tq.

Ultimate yield. If you yield the extension it is junk. I didn't say the shaft doesnt twist because that makes no difference.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Nope. Mike L. is correct.

Next time you buy a quality torque wrench, read the instructions.

Don't use extensions if getting the torque exactly right is important. Me? I just tighten them til they strip or snap, then back it off a hair.

Humm my snap on does not mention the use of extensions. Because it doesnt matter! The only tq you will use is if you dont hold the Z axis (ext) perfectly in line with the bolt.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
McRat;217133[B said:
]Funny, when I put in a stiffer torsion bar, the front the truck goes up, even though the torque the front wheel applies to it is constant.[/B] A micrometer style torque wrench has a rotational mechanism as well. You might be correct when using beam style wrenches, but they are less common.

Extension flex is just one component though. The greater the distance from the nut the head is, the more important to hold the tool perfectly perpendicular becomes. I guarantee you that with extension(s) on, you cannot get the same torque repeatably without a jig to hold the wrench perp.

Pat, the tq stays the same but the material flex's/twist less. You just proved Ben and I correct with that statement.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
It is simply pragmatic tool usage. They came up with loss numbers based on observation I suppose.

But that is interesting.

Does a spring heat up when cycled?

Does a torsion bar?

Where did the energy come from if the force and rotation was the same?

Does a wire heat up when you bend it back and forth? ;)

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I disagree, in the elevator trade, the engineers put there heads together to make new designs everyday, they send it out in the field cause it looked great on paper, well guess what, it didnt work, you know where they get their best advice to make it work? The card carrying field guys. They call the field guys every day getting advice, ive known personally several field mechanics that have been offered engineer jobs but have turned them down because our benifets/retirement/and pay is better in the field. Not saying that everyone that has this piece of "paper" wasted their time, just saying that your last sentence is completley incorrect. Edit, this has nothing to do with the original argument.... sorry for the ot

I ask my machinist questions all the time. I want to make sure the part I design is easily produced.....whats the problems with consulting with field workers, it makes for a better product all around.