Top 25 Stock Duramax's

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
I do see what u are sayin tom. All im sayin is the fuel system falls into that category of ok, the truck is still dd, stock turbo, stock motor, stock injectors, has air even. I dont even know charles, but if everything falls onto the ok column, not much can be done. We sure dont wanna race 10k lb trucks if we dont have to. I really don't care regarless, i think its cool as hell, and more power to ya if u wanna go thru all the trouble to pull all the weight u can.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I think what Tom is getting at is the fact this list was pretty much conceived with the idea that anyone could potentially make it. Although I also am very impressed with the new fast time, this truck is set up in a configuration where the "average joe" simply cannot compete with it. I always remove the tailgate, spare, front passenger and rear seat, and sometimes the hitch when I race. What I do anyone can do for free and it can be put back together after racing in 45 min. Please dont think I have a lack of respect for these top guys, I do, what they have done is amazing. I just think they belong on a top 25 stock fuel and air anything else goes list.

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
I don't get the b!tching about carpet. It doesn't weigh much, I think only the guys that really have a shot at the number one spot do this. If you are running 12.4-12.5 in a 6500lb truck you will not run a 11.9 or 12.0 with just removing a little weight. Now if you run 12.1-12.2 then you're getting close, pull all the weight you can and you have a chance. I didn't gut it right from the start, only when I started to get close to that #1 spot, and I made it to #1 for a little while so I'm happy and seeing a great guy like Charles beat me and be the first to hit 11's is awesome!! Hopefully more trucks in the 11's on this list next season

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
arenson said:
I do see what u are sayin tom. All im sayin is the fuel system falls into that category of ok, the truck is still dd, stock turbo, stock motor, stock injectors, has air even.

Landon stated my position better than I could. You guys can joke about carpet all you want.....its not something that a person can/would do at the track. Same with all the plastics...I sure wouldnt want to DD one of these trucks without any sound deadeners...it'd be too loud to talk.
I also beg to differ about the weight reduction...I have a 60lb box of carpet sitting in the garage for my truck that proves that.

Rony then alluded to the point Ive been trying to make: That when you are shooting for a goal, sometimes you can get caught up in it to the point where the "gray areas" seem ok at the time, but really arent.
The fuel cell was something that wouldnt have been ok'd if it would've been brought up before doing it. Its changing the stock OEM config of the truck. Charles may be a good guy, but IMO he got caught up in his quest, similar to what I was doing a couple years ago. Took you guys to set me straight, too. Same thing here.
I recently had a person PM me about bumpers, asking if it was ok to remove both. Got to give him credit for being an honest person. I told him rear was ok, since people run rollpans all the time...but the front had to stay. No removing body panels.

Hell, whats next? Sounds like some of you guys would be ok with literally stripping a truck down to the bare cab, no doors, fenders, etc....because in your eyes, its still got a stock motor. :rolleyes: Um, no.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
It doesn't even matter what you drive, there is always a battle for the "Quickest Stock". When you hold the title, you are never 100% stock.

Our "stock" 2000 SS Camaro had removable cutouts, cold thermostats, rev limiter removed, seat and spare removed, 100 octane fuel, knock retard delete, and DOT race tires.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
This is just a joke. Im leaning towards everyome else then, shut it down. Cause there will always be unhappy people callin quicker trucks cheaters, when the average joe has the option to pull whatever he can to weight wise. I guess i will never agree with what is being said about pullin to much weight.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No, we aren't going to shut it down. :hug:

This is just friendly banter. Most guys who race or hotrod are Type A people. Competition is our yardstick, and everyone wants to go faster than the next guy.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The way I see it, is a steel body Duramax Pickup with a stock longblock and a factory turbo with a single CP3.

Also understand that you CAN'T comp for track conditions. Being the fastest at Bandimere is not the same as HRP. Or some track that refuses to spend the $ on VHT. Or a tailwind versus a headwind.

Run as fast as you can, and try to be Top 25. Nobody stays on top forever.

Redbowties88

Sideways > Straight ;)
Aug 24, 2009
609 New Jersey
To me this is very simple...

Stock turbo (stock wheels and housings and vanes)
Stock single cp3
stock injectors and nozzles
Stock chassis
Stock body panels (excluding bumpers and windows)
Allison or zf6 trans (internals and TQ/clutch free game)

Suspension and tires are free game. and IMHO so is interior. If you wanna go through the trouble to sit on a milk crate then have at it. Fuel should also be free game.

cwmeaux1

Dec 11, 2011
Carlyss, Louisiana
I went back and read quite a bit over the past few days, looking over the threads here, at DP and at DC. We unfortunately never really addressed stripped down race trucks. Talked about them, not too much in depth though. Honestly, I dont think we ever thought it would be an issue in the beginning....I mean seriously, most people look at this list and say, "Pisshaw, what a bunch of idiots. Who in their right mind races a stock truck? Put a bigger turbo on it and run more fuel. " Also, nobody foresaw the 11.90 index class, which IMO is also helping encourage people to strip a stock truck and compete.

When Rony and Vince ran their times earlier this year, there was no real discussion of omitting them due to the gutted interior and use of LMM charger (Ok, I was skeptical), just lots of "congrats". Same thing with Charles....no apprehension (other than from me), just "congrats" from everyone.

If it were simply up to me alone, I guess I would ask what Charles ran before he installed the fuel cell and stripped the truck, and use that time as his official one. Same goes with Rony (before he gutted the truck) and Vince (before the LMM charger on his LBZ). If they lose their top spots, then thats just how it is. Seems the only fair thing to do to try to gain some control of the list back. This was really supposed to be about daily driven OEM trucks, not stripped-down race-only trucks that rarely see the street. BUT...its not up to me alone. Thats just my opinion.

I think what Tom is getting at is the fact this list was pretty much conceived with the idea that anyone could potentially make it. Although I also am very impressed with the new fast time, this truck is set up in a configuration where the "average joe" simply cannot compete with it. I always remove the tailgate, spare, front passenger and rear seat, and sometimes the hitch when I race. What I do anyone can do for free and it can be put back together after racing in 45 min. Please dont think I have a lack of respect for these top guys, I do, what they have done is amazing. I just think they belong on a top 25 stock fuel and air anything else goes list.

So if I pull my carpet out I can call my truck a race truck???:rofl::poke:

Landon stated my position better than I could. You guys can joke about carpet all you want.....its not something that a person can/would do at the track. Same with all the plastics...I sure wouldnt want to DD one of these trucks without any sound deadeners...it'd be too loud to talk.
I also beg to differ about the weight reduction...I have a 60lb box of carpet sitting in the garage for my truck that proves that.

Rony then alluded to the point Ive been trying to make: That when you are shooting for a goal, sometimes you can get caught up in it to the point where the "gray areas" seem ok at the time, but really arent.
The fuel cell was something that wouldnt have been ok'd if it would've been brought up before doing it. Its changing the stock OEM config of the truck. Charles may be a good guy, but IMO he got caught up in his quest, similar to what I was doing a couple years ago. Took you guys to set me straight, too. Same thing here.
I recently had a person PM me about bumpers, asking if it was ok to remove both. Got to give him credit for being an honest person. I told him rear was ok, since people run rollpans all the time...but the front had to stay. No removing body panels.

Hell, whats next? Sounds like some of you guys would be ok with literally stripping a truck down to the bare cab, no doors, fenders, etc....because in your eyes, its still got a stock motor. :rolleyes: Um, no.

I didnt get caught up in anything, just setting up my truck for next race season . I don't see how I was hiding anything about fuel cell by showing everyone at ennis. At a event just for diesels were everyone around the country went to that is on dd . Hell i even had my dd name on my shirt . I am goin to try for 11.8's today w it the same way it was in ennis if you don't want to update it owell. I will still have fun trying , already getting parts to build motor :D goin to try to get on 50 list

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
The only picture I see is one of your Tailgate Parties, and I wish I could soak my eyeballs in bleach after seeing it. Gerbils wearing Santa Claus outfits was WAY over the line ... :mad:

:D

Haha I thought that photo album was private...