Top 25 Stock Duramax's

duramaximizer

#1 Abuse Enabler ;)
May 4, 2008
Edgerton, Ohio
I'm not trying to rain on your parade Tom. But the stock cp3 stock injectors etc is what it should be. If you want a fastest time with a stock charger/cam/ and single cp3 rule, make a list.

I know I am not out to knock your accomplishments at all Tom, I hope it doesn't come across that way.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've said it a dozen times, or more, but here is how I look at it. You need two things to make power in a diesel, air and fuel (and compression obviously, but it won't run without that). You limit either one of those, and you limit power output. My opinion is the turbo should limit the air available and the CP3 should limit the fuel available. Any changes made before or after the turbo (either on the intake or exhaust side) will only make it more efficient, and any changes made to the fuel system either before or after the CP3 will only make the fuel system more efficient. You still have only as much air as the stock turbo will move and you have only as much fuel as the stock CP3 will move.

Someone PLEASE explain to me why injectors are so bad!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I just think its kind of funny that people with absolutely no interest in this before or those who stuck their nose up at this when it got started all of a sudden chime in their .02 and get all upset....what a f-n joke.

I based all my ideas on the ET we were all trying to beat and how that truck was setup. Nothing more, nothing less. I know what I ran and what it meant to me, and thats all that matters. None of you can take that away, no matter how hard you try.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
Tom, just so we're clear, I wasn't bashing you with my comment earlier in this thread. I think your pass is damn impressive, and have no problem with you being on top of the list. I was just making a general statement about how people are biased toward their own truck.

When this first started being discussed over at the DP, I made a few posts in favor of larger injectors in the "what consitutes stock" thread. I also made it known in the "Top 25" thread discussion about this, that I was bias because I knew that I would be putting nozzles in my motor, and wanted to join in on the fun. Having said that, I still think that my reasons for allowing them were logical. If they ended up not being allowed on the list however, I was still going to put them in.

Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=369349

It may help with the discussion.

Last edited:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Spending $1000's of dollars on performance parts for your truck then calling it and racing it as a stock doesnt even make sense.Just change the name of the list to the 25 fastest stock turbo duramax list and end the B.S. once and for all . The trucks on the list are not stock no matter how you put it or look at it. It's amazing what you guy's have done with your trucks but the only list they should be on is the one I listed above. Congrats on all the hard work you guy's have in your trucks and the time's you have ran.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
This is supposed to be for fun and good entertainment along with friendly competition. As long as the turbo and CP3 are stock, I don't see a problem with calling it stock. I don't believe Toms pistons gives him an advantage except for longevity.
I vote we put Tom back on top of the list and quit being petty. :thumb:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
This is supposed to be for fun and good entertainment along with friendly competition. As long as the turbo and CP3 are stock, I don't see a problem with calling it stock. I don't believe Toms pistons gives him an advantage except for longevity.
I vote we put Tom back on top of the list and quit being petty. :thumb:
agree 100 percent but a simple name change would end all the petty bs and there would be no doubts or arguements on who should or shouldnt be on the list.

Slick

Jan 9, 2007
If the only requirement for the list was an absolutely stock charger, it would be much simpler. We could just list the modifications to the truck out to the side of the e.t. If someone wants to spend 20K, to do an all out build on a truck, then throw a stock turbo on it to be on the top of some list, then more power to them.

On Edit: Just want to be being clear that I am not talking about Tom with the above statement. He did the same thing to his truck that anyone else would do when they have motor problems. I was just throwing a hypothetical scenario out there about someone putting rods/cam/heads/dual pumps on a stock turbo motor.

Last edited:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I say leave it as is. Seems the only guys bitching are the ones that are not even competing. Jason has no problem being knocked down a notch by Tom and it doesn't look like Jess has a problem either being knocked from the top spot.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
I'm not bitching about a thing it doesn't affect my day just throwing out a suggestion for the guys who are on the list and the guys trying to be to end the confusion on what is and isn't allowed for the list. That's all nothing more

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
To put a different spin on it, maybe the guys who don't have a dog in this race are the ones being the most objective? When this idea first got going I kind of poo pooed it and got a little grief for it, and rightfully so. But do you think it's fair to the people on the list who played by the rules as they were first outlined and then you change them as they go along? That has been my gripe with the Diesel Power Challenge, they fudge the rules at every event to be more accommodating for someone who is having trouble, especially if that someone is one of the sponsors. You can call the list anything you want, but if you allow larger injectors and anything but it's orginial rods and pistons it ain' t stock anymore than a back halfed, four linked, carbon fiber bodied truck with a totally stock engine would be.

I guess if you don't want the guys who don't have a truck on this list to comment then don't have it on an open forum. People have griped at me for letting the duramax powered tubed framed dragster and prostock trucks, and cars on the quick 50 list. I have resisted that because that was not the way the rules were set at the beginning and like them or not, that's the way it going to stay as long as I'm caretaking that list.

I think Tom has done a great job on this list, and in many ways I think it's more impressive than the qucik 50 list just do to the limitations that were initially imposed.:thumb: To change that now only detracts from the original intent. :2cents:

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
As far as this thread blowing up I say all the babies have came out. :baby::baby: :D

Hey like I said I was just pointing out the discrepancy in the TITLE and or list! Why you (s) have to take it personal is typical. It isn't my list nor am I knocking anyones accomplishments. If you want to call your modified truck stock go right ahead. Fly shit I care.

FWIW LB7DIRTYMAX01 is 100% correct and that is what the list should be titled at. Top 25 Stock Turbo Duramax trucks.

All of it means nothing to me but if I had a unmolested "stock" Duramax I'd cry fowl if someone was running over-sized injectors, modded CP3, any port and polishing etc etc etc. Your either stock or your not.

It is fun and games no need to get your panties in a bunch. Just given a opinion. Not my list nor do I care who is first or last. But when i see stock I assume stock with a VERY few exceptions .

Have fun -> :baby:'s

:D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So are we going to have an investigating team inspect every new pass from now on? There is going to be some cheating no matter what so let them have the obvious things and bust them on the big things.

DMAXchris

It’s only temporary!
Apr 28, 2009
Natrona Heights PA
Tom, congrats on the pass. Thats moving for the stock snail. Some people cant go that fast with huge turbos.

Here's how I feel...If your motor has been taken out and opened up, its not stock anymore. My truck still has all the factory stuff on it, not even an aftermarket downpipe. Having cut pistons gives anyone a huge advantage. Same with nozzles. It should be stock motor/stock turbo/stock nozzles/Built trans/tuning/lift pump. If I had cut pistons I would be on the top 50 list. Its even pushing it with headers, up pipes and EGR delete. Heck, I could probably throw some 40% nozzles on, buy everything Rick offers, strip down to 6k and run 11s. hmmmmmmmmmmm...sounds like a plan :rofl:
My worthless 2 pennies.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Change the list to Top 25 Stock Turbo trucks and be done with it... these trucks aren't stock so everyone stop trying to single out Tom