The new Limo

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So you’re saying it’s ready for a tune 😂

noooo not till possibly the warranty is up. cant even get a trans to hold reliably..... yet! lol

I just had to order an injector for an L5P (2018 with around 85k miles) because it had a bad fuel knock just off idle and worse coming back down to idle. When I called the dealer to order the replacement, I asked about it, and he said they've been selling quite a few just in the past month. My buddy's dad has an L5P with a knocking injector, a buddy of his who hauls hot shot with an L5P lost a motor because he kept hauling with a truck that had a fuel knock (probably needed an injector), and there are a lot of people online claiming to have replaced or need injectors. I'm wondering if they're going to end up like the LB7 and be plagued with injector problems.

totally agree, hence why i was pushing them to do injectors. My buddy nate has been giving me shit because i sold my LB7 and basically just bought another :ROFLMAO:

DmaxSquarebody

Glutton for punishment
Nov 19, 2019
NW Florida
You guys have a shit load more knowledge than me about these engines, but I have a question out of curiosity. Does the derringer alter injector timing, and could it cause a code and possibly be overheating the dpf on those long uphill grades? I know you'll get it figured out though.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
no it doesnt alter that (though the computer may due to increased fuel pressure). all the derringer does is fool the FPR to increase fuel pressure and fool the MAP to increase boost. Ive been keeping in touch with the mechanic that worked on my truck (never hurts to make friends with the guy that will be working on your junk) and hes told me he had 2 other trucks come in with bad DPF's. they are work trucks, 100% stock.

being that the L5P seems to be prone to injector issues as well, i dont think increasing rail pressure for more power is any help to the longevity of them. i wouldnt recommend doing that.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
On a side note, i weighted my truck at the same place i weighed the old limo. Shes 8500lbs heavy. 700lbs more than the old truck!

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
no it doesnt alter that (though the computer may due to increased fuel pressure). all the derringer does is fool the FPR to increase fuel pressure and fool the MAP to increase boost. Ive been keeping in touch with the mechanic that worked on my truck (never hurts to make friends with the guy that will be working on your junk) and hes told me he had 2 other trucks come in with bad DPF's. they are work trucks, 100% stock.

being that the L5P seems to be prone to injector issues as well, i dont think increasing rail pressure for more power is any help to the longevity of them. i wouldnt recommend doing that.

I got a 20 2500 work truck and it cracked the DPF at 5800 miles, had a recall for the def, and got a new steering box already to.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I got a 20 2500 work truck and it cracked the DPF at 5800 miles, had a recall for the def, and got a new steering box already to.

have not had any recalls on the DEF, just an ECM update for it so that it will go into hard regen sooner. there is a TSB that at some point, the DPF can get to 140% filled and not regen under certain conditions. the reflash stops that. i did see another TSB that the steering lines can leak in cold weather. there is a "cold weather lines" update that can be installed. There is also an update for the steering if you notice a shimmy in the wheel at 50ish mph. They reflash the steering module to deaden it.

There is a laundy list of TSB's on these damn things :ROFLMAO:

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Dangit on the TSB's guess I better leave this one alone until the warranty is up. The recall mine had was just a reflash for the DEF also. I got a P2002 DPF effiency code and the exhaust tip was turning black but no limp. Took it in and all they did was the def recall and didn't even order a DPF after I showed them the black exhaust tip. They cleared the code and sent me on my way, I said when the code comes back in 20miles are you guys going to order a DPF for it:rolleyes: . Well code came back next day and took it back and said I wanted the truck back if they didn't have the parts, drove the truck around for 3 weeks waiting for the DPF to come in put about 2k miles on it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Dangit on the TSB's guess I better leave this one alone until the warranty is up. The recall mine had was just a reflash for the DEF also. I got a P2002 DPF effiency code and the exhaust tip was turning black but no limp. Took it in and all they did was the def recall and didn't even order a DPF after I showed them the black exhaust tip. They cleared the code and sent me on my way, I said when the code comes back in 20miles are you guys going to order a DPF for it:rolleyes: . Well code came back next day and took it back and said I wanted the truck back if they didn't have the parts, drove the truck around for 3 weeks waiting for the DPF to come in put about 2k miles on it.

thats the same deal mine went through but they had a filter in about 7 days. On a plus note, injectors have been quiet over the past few hundred miles ive put on it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
there is a TSB that at some point, the DPF can get to 140% filled and not regen under certain conditions. the reflash stops that.
Do you know if this reflash applies to 17-19 trucks as well? I had a 2018 come in a few weeks back that had a hard DPF related code that would not clear (don't remember exactly), and when looking through the data saw that it showed it had been 40-45k miles since it completed a regen (the truck had somewhere around 180k if I recall correctly). I did a service regen on it, and the light went away. The guy was a dealer and just wanted to make sure the light stayed off long enough to run it through the auction, but now I'm curious if a software update would prevent that from happening again in the future.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do you know if this reflash applies to 17-19 trucks as well? I had a 2018 come in a few weeks back that had a hard DPF related code that would not clear (don't remember exactly), and when looking through the data saw that it showed it had been 40-45k miles since it completed a regen (the truck had somewhere around 180k if I recall correctly). I did a service regen on it, and the light went away. The guy was a dealer and just wanted to make sure the light stayed off long enough to run it through the auction, but now I'm curious if a software update would prevent that from happening again in the future.

ill look up the TSB and post it here. Hold please....

EDIT: yeah looks like 17 and up need the reflash.

#17-NA-374: Information On Diesel Exhaust System Configuration and DPF Soot Accumulation, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P2463 Set - (Jul 23, 2020)
Subject: Information On Diesel Exhaust Accumulation, Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated - DTC P2463 Set
999999995.gif

[TH valign="middle"]
Brand:​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
Model:​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
Model Year:​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
VIN:​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
Engine:​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
Transmission:​
[/TH]

[TH valign="middle"]
from​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
to​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
from​
[/TH]
[TH valign="middle"]
to​
[/TH]

[TD valign="middle"]
Chevrolet​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Silverado​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2017​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2018​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
-​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
-​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
L5P​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
-​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Silverado 2500/3500​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2019​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2020​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
GMC​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Sierra​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2017​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2018​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Sierra 2500/3500​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2019​
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
2020​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Involved Region or Country
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
North America, Middle East and Israel​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Information
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
The following is a list of topics below that are included in the bulletin explaining Diesel Exhaust System Configuration and DPF Soot Accumulation:
  • Reading The Soot Level In % Instead Of Grams
  • Service Regeneration vs Regeneration Enable and Drive Cycle
  • How To Identify If A Vehicle Idles More Than An Average Vehicle
  • How The Regeneration Should Occur
  • P2463
  • Factors That Contribute To Generating High Levels Of Soot
  • If A Customer Asks, “What can I do to reduce the chance of this happening?”
[/TD]

Additional InformationReading The Soot Level In Percent Instead Of Grams
There has been a change in the values displayed in GDS 2. Beginning with the 2017 Silverado/Sierra, the DPF Soot Accumulation is measured in percent instead of grams. On vehicles equipped with a L5P engine, the ECM will not try to perform a regeneration until the DPF Soot Accumulation increases to approximately 100%. If the DPF Soot Accumulation increases to 115% and the system has not been able to regenerate, the “continue driving” message will be displayed on the DIC. If the DPF Soot Accumulation increases to 140%, DTC P2463 will set and will now require a service regeneration to clean the DPF. You may notice that there are two soot level readings in GDS2. One that uses the differential pressure sensor to calculate the soot in the DPF and one that uses other engine data. Whichever one of these reaches the threshold first (100%, 115%, or 140%) wins
Service Regeneration vs Regeneration Enable and Drive Cycle
A Service Regeneration is designed to lower the Soot Accumulation in the DPF in a very controlled way. It is not as effective at lowering the soot accumulated in the DPF as a Regeneration Enable followed by a drive.
Please perform a service regeneration if instructed to by service information. As a rule of thumb, if a vehicle has less than 70% DPF Soot Accumulation, do not perform a service regeneration unless instructed by Service Information.
Note: If you are concerned about the DPF Soot Accumulation, perform a regeneration enable and return the vehicle to the customer.
How To Identify If A Vehicle Idles More Than An Average Vehicle
Note: Use this formula as a diagnostic aid and in the administration of a maintenance schedule. It should NOT be used to determine warranty coverage.
Some vehicles may spend a lot of time idling, use the formula to aid in determining the equivalent mileage (kilometers):
  • Check and record the total engine hours on the Drivers Information Center (DIC). You may need to go into the settings menu on the DIC to display the engine hours.
  • Multiply this time by 33 miles or 53 km. This represents an average speed of 33 MPH or 53KM/H.
  • The result should be close to or lower than the mileage on the odometer.
    • Example 1; If a vehicle has 1812.3 engine hours and 60,837 miles (97,908km) on the odometer, the engine run time would equate to about 59,806 miles (96,052 km) (1812.3 X 33 = 59,806) (1812.3 X 53 = 96,052)).
      Since the calculated mileage is less than the actual mileage, this vehicle does not spend an excessive amount of time idling.
    • Example 2; If the vehicle has 626.9 engine hours and 7,269 miles (11,698 km) on the odometer, the engine run time would equate to about 20,688 miles (33,226 km) (626.9 X 33 = 20,688 (626.9 X 53 = 33,226)).
      Since the calculated mileage is more than the actual mileage, this vehicle would be considered a vehicle that idles a lot and this information may be useful in diagnosing any issues.
How the Regeneration Should Occur
DPF is used to trap the soot generated as a part of the normal operation of a diesel engine so that it is not sent into the environment. The process of regeneration is the vehicle cleaning out the filter so it can trap more soot. There are four factors that determine when the ECM will try to perform a regeneration:
  1. After approximately 36 gallons (136 L)of fuel used since the last regeneration.
  2. A maximum distance of 800 miles (1287 km) have been traveled since the last regeneration.
  3. A pre-determined number of engine hours since the last regeneration.
  4. A calculated or measured soot mass of 100% in the particulate filter.
Whichever of the four above criteria is met first will signal the ECM to perform a regeneration as soon as all the correct conditions are met. If the ECM cannot perform a regeneration, the ECM will only look at the soot mass to determine if the continue driving message needs to be displayed or the code P2463 is set.
This is the criteria that the ECM is looking for to perform a regeneration:
  • Vehicle in Drive
  • BARO sensor 1 is more than 51 kPa (7.4 PSI)
  • Engine speed between 500 and 4000 RPM
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 1 between 100 and 725 C
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 2 between 95 and 750 C
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 3 between 0 and 750 C
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 between 60 and 750 C
  • Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 4 between 60 and 850 C
  • Engine Coolant Temperature between 50 and 140 C
  • Intake air temperature between -70 and 250 C
  • Fueling from -1 to 165mm3
  • Vehicle speed from -1 to 160 km/hr
  • No active DTC related to EGR, Indirect injector, or Throttle (boost)
This vehicle does not have a soot level sensor to determine how much soot is in the DPF. Instead, it uses algorithms to calculate the soot mass. These algorithms rely on the fact that the vehicle is otherwise healthy to accurately determine how much soot is in the filter.
P2463
When this code sets, the ECM will no longer try to perform a driving regeneration and the vehicle will require the more controlled service regeneration. If this is the only code that set, we need to try to figure out why it set. Since this is the last component in the exhaust, there are quite a few different things that can cause this code to set. I have even fixed vehicles from setting this code by replacing the air filter or replacing TMAP sensor. Here are a few other things that can cause this code to set:
  • Driving style like binary driving with a high frequency
  • The driver Ignoring the keep driving messages
  • Leaks from intake or exhaust system
  • Poor fueling in the engine
  • Contaminated or bad fuel
  • Externally damaged or worn components.
  • Loose or improperly installed components
Factors That Contribute To Generating High Levels Of Soot
This is a list of things to look for:
  • Charge air cooler (CAC) and Air induction system leaks. Perform the Full System Air Leak Test and then the Induction System Smoke Test. Refer to Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis – refer to Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full System Air Leak Test). PIP5684, and PIP5468.
  • A restricted air filter. Refer to PIP5489.
  • Exhaust system leaks. An exhaust system leak may cause inaccurate Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor or Exhaust Pressure Differential sensor values - Refer to Exhaust Leakage.
  • Failed, intermittent, improperly installed, mis wired, or loose Exhaust Gas Temperature sensors will cause inaccuracies in the soot model – Look at all temperature sensors when the vehicle is cold to make sure that they read close to each other.
  • Improperly routed differential pressure lines—The exhaust differential pressure line should have a continuous downward gradient without any sharp bends or kinks from the sensor to the DPF.
  • Leaks or internal restrictions from the Exhaust Pressure Differential sensor lines.
  • A skewed or shifted Exhaust Pressure Differential sensor. A sensor that is skewed will cause inaccuracies in the soot model.
  • A cracked or damaged MAF sensor housing.
  • A skewed, stuck in range, or slow responding MAF sensor. Inspect the MAF sensor for contamination. Refer to DTC P0101-P0103.
  • Indirect Fuel Injector leaking or restricted—Refer to Exhaust Aftertreatment Fuel Injector Diagnosis.
  • Externally damaged or worn components.
  • Loose or improperly installed components.
  • Water in fuel contamination—Refer to Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis.
  • Engine mechanical condition, for example low compression. Refer to Symptoms - Engine Mechanical.
  • Vehicle Modifications
If A Customer Asks, “What can I do to reduce the chance of this happening?”
When the “Continue Driving“ message is displayed, continue driving safely at a steady speed as close to the posted speed limit as possible, until the message turns off. This can take up to 30 minutes.
Drive with cruise control when possible. This should help with fuel economy as well as help the engine burn cleaner resulting in less regenerations.
Drive with a steady foot. Lots of tip in and tip outs every few seconds or aggressive driving with frequent WOTs will start and stop the turbo. This will cause the system to generate a lot of soot.
When descending an incline, use tow haul mode to help with the ability of the vehicle to perform a regeneration.
The use of the grade brake on declines will also help adjust the gearing to help allow the vehicle to perform a regeneration. NOTE: on 2020 model year vehicles the grade brake may not be as noticeable as in vehicles built prior to or after this model year. The use of the grade brake will help the vehicle be able to perform a regeneration.

Parts Information
No parts are required for this repair.

[TD valign="middle"]
Version
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
4​
[/TD]

[TD valign="middle"]
Modified
[/TD]
[TD valign="middle"]
Revised March 21, 2018 - Update Information section.
Revised June 26, 2019 – Added 2019 and 2020 Model Years to 2500/3500 models.
Revised July 22, 2020 - Revised Information and Additional Information sections.​
[/TD]

Reactions: JoshH

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
P2463 indicates a plugged particulate filter. My '11 LML threw that code when I ran a 2010 Banks cold air intake for testing. That was a lot of fun.:mad:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ya know, seein the old man was the last post in here, I can’t let that be. Miss ya you son of bitch…

That said, I finally decided on keeping this thing but we are headed down the “mods road” again boys.

She’s a heavy girl so weight loss will be in her future. Also have not decided if I’m going to keep the stock turbo and compound it or go a s400. The turbo brake is very nice point in this thing. Probably going to stay on the stock turbo for a while.

I did decide to do a set of 18” factory wheels powder coated gloss black with painted center caps and put a set of 37x12.50r18 falken a t3w tires on it. I know I threw around the idea about lowering it but I just can’t do it.

As front end parts wear, I’ll upgrade them. Already got play in there at 37k . Probably do some subs inside too. Basically boys, it’s headed down the limo path but with a stopping point lol

Biggest thing will be tuning it on both the ecm and tcm front. I am VERY curious what I can do tcm wise to keep smooth shifts and still play with pressures. I still have the ratiotek shift kit in the trans and I’d like to keep it in there. Goerend’s converter may need to go back in as well and I’ll kills some codes off. If I didn’t post that story, that’s a long one .

That’s 100% stock height and no rubbing lock to lock. Absolutely love the look
ab7666005a547ee95f48a223cfcb568b.jpg

84c9186131e9b1c29a6b6fa22208db3d.jpg

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
No rubbing on 37s? Very impressive coming from anything prior

Any more off set and they would rub for sure but yeah, these wheel wells are waaaaaay better than any body style before!

Ummmm The Limo was 7600lbs when I got her lol that’s 900lbs

I’m just goin off the scale I used out here. Way back when, she was 7800 on the scale but took box was full, still had the dodge wheel and 37” spare (assuming you didn’t take that out), 5th wheel hitch, and probably more shit I’m missing

Reactions: Animals1234

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
Any more off set and they would rub for sure but yeah, these wheel wells are waaaaaay better than any body style before!

I’m just goin off the scale I used out here. Way back when, she was 7800 on the scale but took box was full, still had the dodge wheel and 37” spare (assuming you didn’t take that out), 5th wheel hitch, and probably more shit I’m missing
I weighed it exactly as it was. Hitch and everything was 7600 on California scale lol