@^*(& speeders

MadMooseEngineering

Mar 28, 2008
Boise, Idaho
When I crashed my chevy a couple years ago it was almost totaled. They told me the value of the truck was 25,000 and I could have bought the truck back for 2,000 so I would have got the truck plus 23,000 cash.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
thanks..
i'm just waiting on Progressive to finish evaluating the truck's worth..
scrap per ton is about 250.00 at 3.5 tons or so, its less than 900.00 scrap value...

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
if progressing totals the truck i rebuild it i have to get it inspected by Ohio state police and get a salvage/rebuilt title

Ya you make it sound easy! LOL If there is no frame damage or front end damage just cosmetic it will be simple as you say!
What is the current value of the truck on KBB or some other source(s)?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
i'll check when i get home.. waiting on my semi toget out of the shop so i can pack it and leave out Sunday for Minnesota.. the front section is 5/16" box steel with 5/16" thick 8" wide channel bracing the spring hangers.. with sideswipe glancing type hit it would floor me to find that it bent the frame.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Totaling a vehicle means they will only pay up to the vehicle value and they get the vehicle. Thus, a $3000 truck only pays out $3000 and you lose the truck. That value is based on market or blue book. Your mods do not factor in. $20,000 blown nitro burner under the hood? No credit.

The buy back is a function of the salvage value of the vehicle. It is like a blue book value. Bottom dollar here is scrap value. There is almost no value added for modified parts on the vehicle as before.

Scrapping the title is insurance company's way or keeping the vehicle off the road. To salvage always requires full reinspection of the vehicle. There is no commercial specific aspects here BUT the rules vary from state to state. Know the full story before you go down this path. West Virginia used to be the easiest to salvage and they did not mark the titles as salvaged either. Wonder if that is still the case.

Unless you have a stated value policy, then the value is for what you insured it for. When I did my swap I wasn't willing to chance it, so I did a stated value policy for well over what I had receipts for. Only costs me an extra $80 every 6 months to have $25K in insurance VS blue book on mine which would be about $5K.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Unless you have a stated value policy, then the value is for what you insured it for. When I did my swap I wasn't willing to chance it, so I did a stated value policy for well over what I had receipts for. Only costs me an extra $80 every 6 months to have $25K in insurance VS blue book on mine which would be about $5K.

that would have been nice to know... :( things you live and learn

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
My brother does a lot of salvage title work with the shop he works with. Im sure he can answer any questions at least in regard to TN laws

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

That's true, and is what you should do with a heavily modded vehicle or a collector vehicle. However, the premium is a bit of a crap shoot and depends a lot on how exposed the vehicle is to loss. Over the road hot shot, lots of exposure.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
That's true, and is what you should do with a heavily modded vehicle or a collector vehicle. However, the premium is a bit of a crap shoot and depends a lot on how exposed the vehicle is to loss. Over the road hot shot, lots of exposure.

My insurance company also told me it has to do with how visible the mods are. If it is exterior mods then the premiums would have been higher, but drivetrain mods don't cost as much to insure as they don't stand out so much as a signal to thieves. They had me send them pictures and also reviewed my build thread when they determined my premiums. Since my mods still fell under OEM appearing I didn't pay much more of a premium.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
So what happened? :confused:

still waiting on progressive... should know hopefully by friday.. i hauled it down to their shop Wednesday..

if totaled, buy back, strip/part out..
like to keep the LBZ/4l85 it would go nicely in either my 75 chevy K20 or my 79 malibu

possible of selling the engine stock LBZ van engine that is bored n balance .020 of fingers 17:1 pistons that has 70k on it... mains and deck are straight..

unless i find another cab that i can get a clean C3500HD vin a friend of mine has a 94 2wd 1500 rust free truck ..(front clip) he mention puting the engine/tranny in that :cool:

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
truck is totaled.. buy back is 900.00 (scrap price)so i'm doing that.. said the truck is worth ~4500 if i didnt buy it back..(the engine is worth at least that) paid 5200.00 for it....

course they(progressive) call me at 530pm after the title office is close.. so everything sits till when i get back next week...and we are pushing thanksgiving holiday.......

:eek:

figure i'd tag the build thread if anyone is interested.. its not "officaily" for sale.. YET..
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39285

Last edited:

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
:( damn Adam sorry man. Buy back is a decent deal though, you won't have any issues making your money back and a decent profit.

I think you need a new project, build another one

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
The Malibu won't handle the torque without some serious cage work. Had a '78 and that thing twisted from the shitty little 305 in it.

Sent from my SCH-I535