@^*(& speeders

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That sucks I'd be ripped! I think the cop is seeing where the impact is on the vehicle and passing judgment plus for some reason he's believing the other guys story. Did you piss off the cop? :D

no i did not piss him off. . though i did saw it took me 5 seconds instead of the realistic 10-12 to make the turn... which for the van to travel210yd in 5 seconds he would have to be travelling80+ he was doing every bit of 55-60 which is a 9-10 travel time for 210yds.

sitting at the brand new building having the truck looked at... agent mentioned the 'T' word :(

btfarm

you know
Nov 25, 2010
Sandwich, Illinois
You gonna buy back and part it out if it's totalled?
There's a twin to it with a dump bed here in town. Pretty sure it could sell reasonable.

Sent from my SCH-I535

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
If the frame isn't bent buy it back and run it :woott:

You can make some money if you don't care about the war dents

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
this is my first possible "totaled" vehicle... i have no clue how it work let alone how to make it work for me...

the ranging going rate is 4-12,000 pending year, and type of upfit, ( bare frame flat deck, box, dump, wrecker, roll back utility, bucket truck etc)........ engine has 70k on it tranny as less then 20k on it.. they have asked for all my receipts for everything "non stock" which i have due to everything is/was tax write-off..

i really dont want to lose a "paid for vehicle" especially one that can make money even if the mpg's are shitty... outside the rad core support and lower grille everything is the same as a 4wd 90s GMT400 1500-3500 truck..
money is tight as it is already.. if it gets any tighter, first thing goes is anything i'm making payments on IE the 07.

with the 99 just sitting it cost me 300.00 for 12 month comm plates and storage insurance.
the 07 even parked it help my credit (first thing financed in ~7 years and low 5XX credit) 3 year note as 650.00 a month..
if shit goes south money wise 07 is the first to go.

back on track.. agent said that is the truck was valued above 6,000 they would cut me a check. they havent mention anything about money for totaling it out.. if offered i know not to take the first... to me that truck is worth easy 10-12,000 only thing that hasent been replaced/rebuilt is the D80 rear axle and the steering linkage steering box/king pins are new..

CaptPhil

Sep 10, 2011
Delaware
If they decide to total it, which they probably will, just say you want to buy it back. The buy back price will be less than what they paid you, so you will come out on top.

Josh2002cc

That Uncle
Apr 2, 2007
basicly they total it at say 7,000 buy back is 5,000 i get the truck and a 2,000 dollar check?

Exactly. You can negotiate the buy back price, that is a much easier option than the cost of sending to auction and the hassle. Another big bonus is if you decide to buy back and fix, you will still have a clear title or atleast in NE and MO is how that works.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
That 2g should get it fixed or close to minus paint right?
Question is, can you still register and insure it once it gets the write off stamp?

ecc_33

Aug 10, 2006
Amanda, Ohio
First off this sucks! I live in ohio and have delt with totalled vehicles and fixed two from being salvaged out of a junk yard. My first duramax was totalled at 68 thousand miles and they gave us 31,000 for it. I bought it back for 6500:D. The only thing is you have to fix it and get it inspected by the state highway patrol in ohio so they will give you a salvage title. Make a appointment and keep EVERY reciept that you buy parts for the truck to fix it. It will be worth your while imho.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That 2g should get it fixed or close to minus paint right?
Question is, can you still register and insure it once it gets the write off stamp?

what do you mean by write off stamp? the insurance claim?

all i need is a bill of sale... IE john doe told XYZ for XXX.00 money on MM/DD/YYYY to doe john

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
First off this sucks! I live in ohio and have delt with totalled vehicles and fixed two from being salvaged out of a junk yard. My first duramax was totalled at 68 thousand miles and they gave us 31,000 for it. I bought it back for 6500:D. The only thing is you have to fix it and get it inspected by the state highway patrol in ohio so they will give you a salvage title. Make a appointment and keep EVERY reciept that you buy parts for the truck to fix it. It will be worth your while imho.

there is no way around the salvaged title, correct?

been keeping receipts for 3 years now..it almost 2nd nature now

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
what do you mean by write off stamp? the insurance claim?

all i need is a bill of sale... IE john doe told XYZ for XXX.00 money on MM/DD/YYYY to doe john

Figure of speech. Some states won't let you register a vehicle once it's VIN has had a write off attached to it. I know I can't bring a write off vehicle across the line and register it in Canada once it's been written off.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
That buy back seems awful high to me. These vehicles are sold at auction do you really think someone will give that amount? No way!

Truck has to have a ton of miles not to mention you took the tried and true 6.5 out and put a POS Duramax in it! LOL :D

Seriously try and negotiate. Also since you are using that vehicle Commercial look into the Salvage title issue very closely might be other stipulations compared to private use. Just saying,be careful

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I agree completely with Mac. Insurance buybacks are usually a small fraction of what they pay you. There's no way that truck would sell for anywhere near $5,000 with a value of $7,000 and $4,000 worth of damage. I'd say $3,000 tops (difference in the value and the damages).

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
That buy back seems awful high to me. These vehicles are sold at auction do you really think someone will give that amount? No way!

Truck has to have a ton of miles not to mention you took the tried and true 6.5 out and put a POS Duramax in it! LOL :D

Seriously try and negotiate. Also since you are using that vehicle Commercial look into the Salvage title issue very closely might be other stipulations compared to private use. Just saying,be careful

I agree completely with Mac. Insurance buybacks are usually a small fraction of what they pay you. There's no way that truck would sell for anywhere near $5,000 with a value of $7,000 and $4,000 worth of damage. I'd say $3,000 tops (difference in the value and the damages).
i'll figure it out when i get to that bridge... they said they would know something as early as COB tonight pst....

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I had this happen before with a old car. Was hit ,not her fault, totaled about $2 grand if I recall adjuster (Geico) stamped the title salvage gave me my check and I left driving the car.

I ended up junking the car about 6 months later do to a popped HG. Car owed me nothing. Now in CT they notify the DMV but I never heard anything back on if it was repaired and needed to go for a inspection. If it had exchanged hands it would have had to this I know. But I always wondered if I retained ownership if I could have just kept renewing the reg like nothing ever happened.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Totaling a vehicle means they will only pay up to the vehicle value and they get the vehicle. Thus, a $3000 truck only pays out $3000 and you lose the truck. That value is based on market or blue book. Your mods do not factor in. $20,000 blown nitro burner under the hood? No credit.

The buy back is a function of the salvage value of the vehicle. It is like a blue book value. Bottom dollar here is scrap value. There is almost no value added for modified parts on the vehicle as before.

Scrapping the title is insurance company's way or keeping the vehicle off the road. To salvage always requires full reinspection of the vehicle. There is no commercial specific aspects here BUT the rules vary from state to state. Know the full story before you go down this path. West Virginia used to be the easiest to salvage and they did not mark the titles as salvaged either. Wonder if that is still the case.

MACKIN

Smell My Finger...
Aug 14, 2006
Connecticut
I checked CT policy on Totaled vehicles and if the insurance company stamps salvage on the title you're suppose to pull the plates! I did NOT know that. I don't recall maybe the adjuster said he was going to delay the reporting.

If and then you repair the vehicle it must be re-titled and gone through a complete inspection with a folder full of documentation. In saying that I know people that have done this successfully. It goes from salvage to marked repaired.