LB7: SAC-style Injector Life

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Well it's very funny as how I had two people call this week to order injectors from us and there stories matched to the T!!! Just odd that both people were told the same results from that company....not to mention these were late dmax injectors.

Did either guys ask pictures to show them the damages? I had a set installed by Chevy that failed at 12k miles. The nozzles where no good and that body failed at 40 k miles. Didn't do any good to complain to Chevy either. So blaming a company that really is a good company isn't the right answer. Bottom line if the guys feel that can't trust Exergy don't use them. What are you going to do when a customer feels that like about your company? You will not be able to satisfy every customer. Someone is going to feel like they were shafted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 24, 2013
jacksonville nc
Satisfaction of ever customer is never going to happen. You will always have people that are the type of people that will only believe something is either good or bad if they do it themselves. And then they usually lie about how good or bad it was and still blame someone else.

But if you do feel shafted by the company have those injectors tested by someone else and if the reading comes back differently THEN professionally confront them on the issue with factual information.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
I'm not trying to badmouth any companies, just trying to get my truck to stop smoking. I understand these LB7 injectors are brittle, but the transaction just didn't make me feel the greatest. Exergy did send me some pictures of what they found. I'm slightly curious if anyone else received pictures as well.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Looks like I'll be buying a set of the 45 over sac's here soon. #8 in mine just started hazing at night visible in light, so it won't be long. Hoping there will maybe be a Christmas sale. Was hoping to get more than 70K miles out of mine, but #8 is going out quickly. I'll probably try and flush them 1st, but I'm not optimistic with my lick lately, and I HATE being "that guy" with a hazing diesel that's stock.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
Looks like I'll be buying a set of the 45 over sac's here soon. #8 in mine just started hazing at night visible in light, so it won't be long. Hoping there will maybe be a Christmas sale. Was hoping to get more than 70K miles out of mine, but #8 is going out quickly. I'll probably try and flush them 1st, but I'm not optimistic with my lick lately, and I HATE being "that guy" with a hazing diesel that's stock.

Just email me and I'll make sure your taken care of with a sale price on them!

pepperidge

Member Club 12
Jan 12, 2007
Slidell, La

Ferman,

I'm in the same boat as you...my Exergys lasted just over a 2 years with less than 10k mi. on them...except what started as 1 hazing @ -7.00 is now 4 with 3 way out on the plus side and another that is marginal.

Looking for an Easter sale to order a set of SAC injectors...$2700 is a tough pill to swallow when so little miles and time on the Exergy's all the while thinking Exergy was supposed to be the best.

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Ferman,

I'm in the same boat as you...my Exergys lasted just over a 2 years with less than 10k mi. on them...except what started as 1 hazing @ -7.00 is now 4 with 3 way out on the plus side and another that is marginal.

Looking for an Easter sale to order a set of SAC injectors...$2700 is a tough pill to swallow when so little miles and time on the Exergy's all the while thinking Exergy was supposed to be the best.

There are way too many variables to blame a company for the failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
Ferman,

We can get you set up with a set of SAC 45% injectors here. PM me for pricing.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
so DAVe... :cool2:

we're just over a year. any thoughts/updates?
I'm doing another long trip around the 13th, I'll grab all the logs and post an update after that.

Subjectively, everything seems great with the injectors. I'm also curious what the data shows.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

wildfire77

Just a GM kinda guy.
Apr 28, 2017
SE Wisconsin
awesome.

side question... anyone know why the SAC injectors cost so much more? The stock (30 overs...) are factory parts, NO? Is there some custom fabricating that has to be done to mate them to the lb7 injector?

Yellow Jacket

WannaBe Sled Puller
Feb 11, 2009
Waterloo, IA
awesome.

side question... anyone know why the SAC injectors cost so much more? The stock (30 overs...) are factory parts, NO? Is there some custom fabricating that has to be done to mate them to the lb7 injector?

They are taking the stock nozzles off and putting on Motorsport SAC nozzle to my understanding, so they just have to keep the stock nozzles on the shelf. Therefore they have the cost of a second set of nozzles...

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
They are taking the stock nozzles off and putting on Motorsport SAC nozzle to my understanding, so they just have to keep the stock nozzles on the shelf. Therefore they have the cost of a second set of nozzles...
Yep, I believe this is the case!

They aren't the stock LLY nozzles, they are new Bosch Motorsports nozzles, as Yellow Jacket said. So the nozzles are more expensive than stock parts would be (the LLY nozzles don't fit).

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
At this time the SAC Nozzles are a new product on the market that not everyone can get ahold of. Anytime this happens in the industry the price is higher. We have them on the shelf here.

JRein

Aircraft Mechanic's Hero
Sep 26, 2015
LRAFB, Arkansas
Brent is there info on the nozzles, i.e. # of ports by port size for the SAC injectors. Curious about the 45% LB7 specifically

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Brent is there info on the nozzles, i.e. # of ports by port size for the SAC injectors. Curious about the 45% LB7 specifically

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
I can tell you there is 8 instead of 7 orifices in the nozzle, and they are on 2 different levels. I posted up pics before, but they were cell phone pics that didn't come out very good. I know that 4 are way down near the tip of the nozzle, and I believe the other 4 were just above mid way up. Don't know if they all sprayed out at the same angle or if they sprayed on 2 different angles. There was some data posted up late last year about the spray angle, but I can't find it searching for it, so I may have read it somewhere else. As to flow, based off the flow sheet copy they included for me, at 160MPA and I think it was 1600 usec, they flowed almost as much as the flow sheet I had for a set of 60 over VCO's, and a good bit more than the flow sheet I had for a set of 30 overs(don't have a flow sheet for a set of 45 over VCO's). But when pressure and pulse goes down, there flow dropped well below that of the 30 over VCO's. I wished I had scanned in the flow sheet, but it got lost before I could do so.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
SAC injector update

Day 416 (1 year, 1 month, 20 days)
Hours on injectors: 270.1 (+183.4 since last update)
Miles on injectors: 12,111 (+8,317)
Fuel injected: 744.0 gal (+507.4)
Miles on motor: 22,907
Miles on truck: 319,143
Code:
           Drive  Park
BALRCYL1   -2.40  -1.11
BALRCYL2   +1.72  +0.99
BALRCYL3   -1.23  -0.43
BALRCYL4   +0.23  +0.04
BALRCYL5   +0.10  +0.14
BALRCYL6   +1.20  +0.56
BALRCYL7   +0.55  +0.10
BALRCYL8   -0.36  -0.37
MAINRATE 13.0mm³ 7.1mm³
So it's 10 months from the last update, and the balance rates actually look a hair better than before. Main rate is the same in drive, but has gone down a hair in park (from 8.4 to 7.1 mm³), which could be from any number of things, including the temperature or if I forgot to turn off my A/C last time. I am not going to worry about it or adjust my tune, so I can see how it tracks over time.

The truck still doesn't smoke at idle, though if you let it idle for hours (got talking to someone), it will start to haze a bit, but cleans up as soon as you get some heat back in the cylinders. This is probably not new, I had just never left the truck idling for hours before. I forgot to stuff my face into the exhaust to see if it has developed a smell, but walking around the truck with it idling I don't notice anything, so probably not.

Fuel mileage is staying consistent. I am going to stick with my previous estimate of 1.0-1.2 MPG improvement over the VCO injectors.

I'm planning on putting some decent miles on the truck this summer, so I will do another update this fall and we can see how it compares.

novaman64

that guy
Jun 18, 2013
Placerville, CA
Day 416 (1 year, 1 month, 20 days)
Hours on injectors: 270.1 (+183.4 since last update)
Miles on injectors: 12,111 (+8,317)
Fuel injected: 744.0 gal (+507.4)
Miles on motor: 22,907
Miles on truck: 319,143
Code:
           Drive  Park
BALRCYL1   -2.40  -1.11
BALRCYL2   +1.72  +0.99
BALRCYL3   -1.23  -0.43
BALRCYL4   +0.23  +0.04
BALRCYL5   +0.10  +0.14
BALRCYL6   +1.20  +0.56
BALRCYL7   +0.55  +0.10
BALRCYL8   -0.36  -0.37
MAINRATE 13.0mm³ 7.1mm³
So it's 10 months from the last update, and the balance rates actually look a hair better than before. Main rate is the same in drive, but has gone down a hair in park (from 8.4 to 7.1 mm³), which could be from any number of things, including the temperature or if I forgot to turn off my A/C last time. I am not going to worry about it or adjust my tune, so I can see how it tracks over time.

The truck still doesn't smoke at idle, though if you let it idle for hours (got talking to someone), it will start to haze a bit, but cleans up as soon as you get some heat back in the cylinders. This is probably not new, I had just never left the truck idling for hours before. I forgot to stuff my face into the exhaust to see if it has developed a smell, but walking around the truck with it idling I don't notice anything, so probably not.

Fuel mileage is staying consistent. I am going to stick with my previous estimate of 1.0-1.2 MPG improvement over the VCO injectors.

I'm planning on putting some decent miles on the truck this summer, so I will do another update this fall and we can see how it compares.

Looks promising!