LB7: SAC-style Injector Life

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
The S366 did help the bottom end, as we discussed. I ended up sticking the billet 71mm compressor and cover on the S366 center section and had a local shop balance it. So now I have a S371 again, but with the 360 thrust washer. With the new injectors, the S371 comes up as well as the 66 did, but flows better up top.

I'm pretty happy with the setup now. Heading out to the strip again on Sunday, actually, to give a coworker's Mustang a hard time. :D

Sent from my FlashScan V2
Glad it's working out for you. I know it wasn't the ideal route you wanted to go but should work well till you get those Garrett twins you're really wanting!!

Yellowchevy

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
Anyone wanting to have a longer injector life with lb7s don't hesitate to go to sac nozzles. You will notice a different exhaust note and a little better fuel economy as well. Tuning really won't need changing unless your tuner is running too much timing I the lower to mid rpms (under 2000).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
As posted the nozzles are the difference. Only the LB7 used VCO nozzles which stands for valve covering orifice, or in other words, the pintle valve in the injector actually seats against the orifice openings in the nozzle to close it off. SAC uses a seat just above the nozzle openings to seal against and has a small pocket below this seat where the fuel then goes out through the orifices. It should also be of note that the current SAC type nozzles are 8 hole instead of 7, so this is why they are all oversized. LLY+ all used SAC micro pocket nozzles stock, so this is basically updating the LB7 to the newer style injectors. The downfall of VCO nozzles is since the valve seats directly against the orifice openings, if any soot or anything gets pushed back into the orifices, or if any debris gets down into the nozzle, it can hang the valve open. Also since the SAC uses one seat VS 7 like the stock LB7 nozzles, you have a superior seat design with less places for it to leak by. I've wondered for awhile now why nobody hadn't tried going to a newer style nozzle on an LB7 injector, now we have them.

motoking_1990

May 9, 2011
Terre Haute, IN
That's very helpful. Thanks for the information Ferm. How long have the sac nozzles been available for lb7? Is this something recent?

I ask because 45% were put in my truck before I bought it. I'm curious if there is a possibility sac nozzles are in there. A lot of work just to see. It will have to wait for the engine build.

Brent@LDS

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 23, 2011
Wisconsin
That's very helpful. Thanks for the information Ferm. How long have the sac nozzles been available for lb7? Is this something recent?

I ask because 45% were put in my truck before I bought it. I'm curious if there is a possibility sac nozzles are in there. A lot of work just to see. It will have to wait for the engine build.

The SAC nozzles for the LB7 injectors have been out for around 2 years or so.

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
Has there been proven life expectancy over the voc nozzles? I understand the design is a lot better and has been proven in the current year trucks. Just seeing if the nozzle design is going to help or if the bodies are still going to fail in a short period of time compared to current years.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Has there been proven life expectancy over the voc nozzles? I understand the design is a lot better and has been proven in the current year trucks. Just seeing if the nozzle design is going to help or if the bodies are still going to fail in a short period of time compared to current years.
It hasn't been proven...yet. But that is why I started this thread :thumb:

I am going to log the balance rates, miles, hours, and subjective state of the injectors from now until something goes wrong. That way there will be some solid data on the SAC-style injectors out there for the LB7 guys.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Cool thread. And great idea keeping track of everything. Thanks for the effort!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL

Haven't heard of that many body failures myself except for guys running 200mpa+ for rail pressure. The SAC design should help cut down on hazing, nozzle dribble from not fully seating pintle's, and most any other nozzle problems. Unfortunately it doesn't do anything for ball seat erosion, but that hasn't been much of a problem since the revised ball seats came out in 09. Only time will tell, and they just haven't been out that long for the LB7. I foresee future problems similiar to those of the LLY+ now that the SAC design should take care of any nozzle problems, so I would expect to see problems of high return rates if you have problems.