McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Oh really? ...

Holy smokes. :(

Strike 3, you're out.

I have no idea what this is all about, but it appears that if you are invited anywhere, you will tell the world every bit stuff you see or are told, especially if you believe it will hurt your host.

I don't think I'm going to wait and see who's hospitality you're going to betray next.

Write me a letter explaining why it is necessary to betray those who try to help you and mail it to:

Quality Inspection
310 South Maple Street
Unit F
Corona, CA 92880

If the reasoning is sound, you will be allowed to post once more.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
What about those of us who put TRANSYND in when we built ours? I'm not running huge HP numbers on mine, but I do have the ALTO clutches in it. Should I swap over to DEX 3, or is there an additive I should add in with the TRANSYND? I've got about 4000 miles on it now, and besides the TCM quirks it works fine.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
What about those of us who put TRANSYND in when we built ours? I'm not running huge HP numbers on mine, but I do have the ALTO clutches in it. Should I swap over to DEX 3, or is there an additive I should add in with the TRANSYND? I've got about 4000 miles on it now, and besides the TCM quirks it works fine.

You are absolutely fine with TranSynd.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
Mike L. - What is the difference between MERCON and DEXRON fluids? I am currently using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (MERCON V) in the trans. Did I make a mistake?

Mike_S

OOPS!
Nov 18, 2009
Idaho
Mike L. will correct me if I'm wrong, or add in if I'm not extensive enough, but IIRC Mercon is a Ford rating and Dextron is a GM rating? Not sure about the differences in characteristics of the oil itself though...

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Mike L. - What is the difference between MERCON and DEXRON fluids? I am currently using Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF (MERCON V) in the trans. Did I make a mistake?

I don't think there is much difference if any between Mercon/Dexron. The trans industry has been using a Dex/Merc blend in everything for years.
Now Mercon V and Mercon SP is a different story as they are full synthetic and have special addatives for the Ford cars and trucks. same with Dex 6 being specific for GM but is not synthetic.
Now the oil companies making the TES 295 clone fluids are suggesting that their fluids will replace all the others including Mercedes and BMW synthetics.
I have tried them in these cars and they work fine.

PhilsLB7

Way Better Than Facebook
Jun 29, 2009
Tennessee
I don't think there is much difference if any between Mercon/Dexron. The trans industry has been using a Dex/Merc blend in everything for years.
Now Mercon V and Mercon SP is a different story as they are full synthetic and have special addatives for the Ford cars and trucks. same with Dex 6 being specific for GM but is not synthetic.
Now the oil companies making the TES 295 clone fluids are suggesting that their fluids will replace all the others including Mercedes and BMW synthetics.
I have tried them in these cars and they work fine.

So what fluid(s) do you recommend for a stock Allison? You mentioned the Dex III before with an additive (?) but I thought it was more specific for a built Allison trans. Are their other synthetic fluids you would recommend?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Mike have you played with any of the BMW trans fluids in anything other than BMW trannys? Bein a bimmer tech, we've got all of them at work, Esso, Texaco, etc. There expensive as hell though! They seem to work great in the GM's and ZF's here! We did switch from MTF-LT1 to Pintosin ATF-1 in some trannys because its posta be the same or better and works well, cost less. The old ZF's in 740i's took a pricy oil but we've replaced it with Mobil-1 Syn ATF with exellent results. Dunno if maybe any of these fluids would be Ally compatable or not?

Dont know if its a no-no or not but the TH-350 in my Malibu and a TH-350 with a Hughes kit in it i built both run on R&O or 303 Tractor fluid and run and shift like no other!

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There are some fluids out there that are great but need to be tested. What we have to remember here is that our trucks are multi purpose and a good racing fluid will probably not pull your trailer very long. I built an Alli using customer supplied parts ( Alto power packs ) and nothing else. He brought me Amsoil Type F fluid. He made a couple of 12 sec passes and limped. It was a 2X4 truck. This should not have happened. I switched fluid to my universal Dex 3 and changed filters and so far so good.
Fluids are a very touchy sunject and we need to be carefull.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
Mike, I have about 75,000 miles on my tranny and think it may be time for my second internal filter and a flush. Should I switch to Dex 3 or stay with the synthetic since I have so many miles on my tranny? I need all the holding capacity I can get my tranny is probably close to its limits with my tuning.

mead

Feb 12, 2009
san diego
Does anyone have an opinion on the Schaeffer All Trans? I have used it for about 20,000 in a daily driver with no tune. I drain pan every 20,000 and change filter every 10,000. I have used their products for years in other vehicles but this is first Allison.

Jim

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
There are some fluids out there that are great but need to be tested. What we have to remember here is that our trucks are multi purpose and a good racing fluid will probably not pull your trailer very long. I built an Alli using customer supplied parts ( Alto power packs ) and nothing else. He brought me Amsoil Type F fluid. He made a couple of 12 sec passes and limped. It was a 2X4 truck. This should not have happened. I switched fluid to my universal Dex 3 and changed filters and so far so good.
Fluids are a very touchy sunject and we need to be carefull.

So mike when you built my trans back in august(the long black lifted truck with fiberglass fenders on, tried to get your ass to go to Disneyland but ya wouldnt do it lol) did you put that special additive and Dex3 in my trans?

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So mike when you built my trans back in august(the long black lifted truck with fiberglass fenders on, tried to get your ass to go to Disneyland but ya wouldnt do it lol) did you put that special additive and Dex3 in my trans?

Yes

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
This may sopund like a stupid question, but where do you get the DEXRON III at now? I know at all the stores by me all I can find is the multi-vehicle stuff that says it is DEXRON III compatible, is this ok? I normally use the CASTROL domestic multi-vehicle when it calls for DEXRON III anymore in customers cars, is this ok or should I find a different one?

DaveB

Sep 6, 2009
Northeast Indiana
So what fluid(s) do you recommend for a stock Allison? You mentioned the Dex III before with an additive (?) but I thought it was more specific for a built Allison trans. Are their other synthetic fluids you would recommend?

I'm wondering the same, what is the best for a stock Allison?