Proper fluid in the Allison

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
The Allisons come from the factory with BorgWarner friction clutches and soft steel plates. The BW friction clutches actually wear into the steel plates.
IMHO TranSynd and possibly Dex6 are excellent fluids for these clutches because of the way the wear.
Alto and Raybestos steel plates are much harder material and I don't think they will do well with some of the synthetic fluids out there when it comes to clutches locking properly.
Just an observation. I like the Dex 3 with an addative.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
what about AMSOIL Mike??!?!?? I hear that crap makes my trans run 75-90* cooler, helps me hold up to 120% more power, and gives my truck wings and rocket engines. :D

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
what about AMSOIL Mike??!?!?? I hear that crap makes my trans run 75-90* cooler, helps me hold up to 120% more power, and gives my truck wings and rocket engines. :D

Been reading too much tech from Dirtbagdad Ben? :rofl:
He has a post somewhere on how to build your deep pan kit. Want me to send you a link? I think it's proprietary tech and can only be bought from him.:rolleyes:

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
On a serious note.
TranSynd and the big name synthetics are excellent fluids and can run cooler,but may not lock the aftermarket clutches like we would like.

lotsofmiles

Father of the Van
Dec 4, 2008
Michigan
1/2 off topic...but I'm getting ready to do a fluid & filter change on the 99 express van, 4L80.

Dex 3 my best bet, or should I go with 6.

Thanks

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
The Allisons come from the factory with BorgWarner friction clutches and soft steel plates. The BW friction clutches actually wear into the steel plates.
IMHO TranSynd and possibly Dex6 are excellent fluids for these clutches because of the way the wear.
Alto and Raybestos steel plates are much harder material and I don't think they will do well with some of the synthetic fluids out there when it comes to clutches locking properly.
Just an observation. I like the Dex 3 with an addative.

Interesting. What do you say on, for example a truck in the 575-600whp range running alto or raybestos clutches and steels with transynd for the fluid? Should I switch fluids, or is there more testing to say for sure?

Thanks for the info as always.:)

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
Well after 2 days of research I found they discontinued my addative. It was made by Life products.:rolleyes: Oh well I still like Dex III.
I will have more news as my quest continues.