Oval Chamber Pistons

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
Forged would most definitely be the safer way to go.

Although, Jon's (fingers) been looking to see just what the cast pistons are worth, i.e, how much power they can tolerate, I haven't heard of a failure yet and guys are pushin them pretty good, haven't they been in 1200hp applications already? You say your only looking for a few passes, you'll have a spare built motor available, so you may be just the guy Jon has been waiting for;)

:dontknow:

It's your money, do what feels right:thumb:

Im down for some testing and might even be interested in buying two sets.

By a few passes i mean i would like them to last a season:D

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You can get fingers' pistons in forged. Not sure if you knew.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Everything has a breaking point. Just don't know where that point is for these pistons. Apparently north of the current installations.

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
Thanks for the PM, sent you some more questions. Let me know. Interested and ready to make a move on something.

Last edited:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Brett has made at least ten 9sec passes on cast fingers pistons at 148mph in his
C10 with vgt twins. I am almost 1100hp with vgt twins and single cp3 on cast fingers pistons. I have sled pullers running these pistons in 1200+hp setups and so far we have not had a single issue with them. We are extremely pleased with the performance!:thumb:

DURAMXD

BOB SAGET!
Apr 24, 2012
Wichita, KS
Brett has made at least ten 9sec passes on cast fingers pistons at 148mph in his
C10 with vgt twins. I am almost 1100hp with vgt twins and single cp3 on cast fingers pistons. I have sled pullers running these pistons in 1200+hp setups and so far we have not had a single issue with them. We are extremely pleased with the performance!:thumb:

Have you put any forged sets in anything yet?

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
I was wondering, for use "budget" guys, use stock LB7 pistons and cut the oval into them. I would guess the oval would not be the sames as on the cast and forged pistons, but with your simulation showing that the oval is stronger the just delipping, something like this would better? I would of loved to use your piston in my build, couldn't, that is why I am asking.:thumb:

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
That wouldn't be the same. The point of the oval is to keep the CC's the same but add more material in the bottom of the oval area where the wrist pin is at.

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
The oval ports in fingers pistons can be/are the same volume as factory... If you cut the oval into factory pistons you would make the chamber so large that compression would suffer. Besides the way the oval is designed it puts more piston material parallel with the wrist pin, which is where they like to crack. A stock piston that had a oval chamber cut in it would have the same amount of material over the wrist pin therefore making it just a weak as a stocker with really low compression.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Almost regardless of the required compression, I leave the same amount of material over the pin. That material is already gone on the stock piston bowl, and that is what make these oval pistons "different". Most any compression can be dialed in by adjusting the volume of the end chambers.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I'll say I was very impressed with how much more material these have over the wrist pin once I got them in my hands. I can definitely see how these will be much less likely to crack.

In case anyone is curious, my scale says these piston assemblies (piston, rings, pins, clips) are 80 grams lighter than a stock LMM piston assembly.

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
I'll say I was very impressed with how much more material these have over the wrist pin once I got them in my hands. I can definitely see how these will be much less likely to crack.

In case anyone is curious, my scale says these piston assemblies (piston, rings, pins, clips) are 80 grams lighter than a stock LMM piston assembly.

Thats awesome :woott: