Oval Chamber Pistons

Hot COCOAL

May the farce be with you
Jun 9, 2012
No coating, I did polish them and I think that is why they look the way they do. If I put brakleen or carbclean on the rag they wiped right off. I just wiped them off with a shop rag for the picture.

It almost looks like there is an increase in pressure where the valve relief is, like its getting hotter there? Or maybe because the valve gets so close there is not enough room for fuel/soot to.stain in that spot? :dontknow:

Are you using a motorsports nozzle/tip or standard but exergy modified injector, i thought i counted 7 injection spots on those pistons? But cant tell...

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Those pistons look good Mark. 100 over injectors and all. Getting some injector flash on the crown as expected from your setup. I think the high crown profile is helping pull the plumes into the bowl more.

The markings are from where the carbon is not sticking. Not the aluminum flaking away. Maybe Mark will post a picture after cleaning with a solvent to remove the carbon.

Thanks for sharing.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Those pistons look good Mark. 100 over injectors and all. Getting some injector flash on the crown as expected from your setup. I think the high crown profile is helping pull the plumes into the bowl more.

The markings are from where the carbon is not sticking. Not the aluminum flaking away. Maybe Mark will post a picture after cleaning with a solvent to remove the carbon.

Thanks for sharing.

You got it, I will clean one another one up tomorrow as we are changing the heads again. I'm very happy with what I am seeing and with the performance from them. I have stock LBZ injectors done to 100% over by Exergy. At the 800hp/1450ftlb range single pump single vgt turbo you can't help but be impressed with them.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Here is what they looked like today after I cleaned them up. I didn't go crazy scrubing them but put more into cleaning them.

Attachments

• oval.jpg
    oval.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 343
  • oval2.jpg
    oval2.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 319

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Update for you guys on this subject. With the newest set of heads on my motor and the 12mm cp3 from Exergy and my 100%inj and 72mm vgt I was able to get to 894hp 1590ftlbs and ran a new personal best of 10.96@122+mph at TS. This thing is a beast!:thumb:

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:
:hail2: :hail:

Nice :driving:

:rockon:

:jiggy::jiggy:

Man I can't wait to follow in your footsteps, my truck will never be that fast, but I will try to push my pig to the limit on your products, as soon as I can afford it:thumb:

Congratulations Mark, you deserve it, way to show what you can do:D

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
Ok guys couple questions..

My old set up on Mahle 20 over cast pistons made 1180 on #2 and 1285 with small shot of juice. I was out of fuel so now i went with bigger injectors and will be doing a bigger cam from SoCal. I have Socal Heads, mild cam, billet 75mm, billet 104mm, rods, girdle, 180% over injectors with worked bodies...

My goal is 1400-1500hp on #2 what do you reccommend for pistons? Looking to smash my old best time and want it to last a few passes. Going to try and have a spare built motor on deck.

Please explain and please PM me a price. Very interested and looking to buy pretty soon.

1285 dyno at H&S
http://youtu.be/6ZuH-gP0YQQ

6.7@109 in the 1/8th is my best, here is a clip of me racing a 1000hp dodge. For some reason i could run 6.7, 6.8 and 6.9 all at 109mph
http://youtu.be/dXlk-kdRF0g

Hot COCOAL

Jun 9, 2012
Forged would most definitely be the safer way to go.

Although, Jon's (fingers) been looking to see just what the cast pistons are worth, i.e, how much power they can tolerate, I haven't heard of a failure yet and guys are pushin them pretty good, haven't they been in 1200hp applications already? You say your only looking for a few passes, you'll have a spare built motor available, so you may be just the guy Jon has been waiting for;)

:dontknow:

It's your money, do what feels right:thumb:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I say have a UDP "Breaking Point" on Jon's pistons:D...

i concure :D

Newly, if you wanna test them and see just how far they can go, id say go for it. Like Jason said, no one has hurt a set yet but that doesnt mean it wont happen. Someone has to be the first though :angel:

if you wanna go on the safe side, then go with forged

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
I know what i want... been doing this for awhile. I was running 12s back in 2005 and 11s in 2006. Im looking at a few different pistons and yes i want forged. This will be my third full motor build in this truck and evey time i just go bigger and add more.

I want to hear from Fingers and get a price on what he reccommends. Please send me a PM.

By a "few" passes i mean i want it to last not run it 3-4 times and i need to tear it down again. I do drive it on the street in Vegas and kick a lot of $100,000 cars asses on the freeway. Fun town with lots of big money cars thinking they are fast:spit:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Ok guys couple questions..

My old set up on Mahle 20 over cast pistons made 1180 on #2 and 1285 with small shot of juice. I was out of fuel so now i went with bigger injectors and will be doing a bigger cam from SoCal. I have Socal Heads, mild cam, billet 75mm, billet 104mm, rods, girdle, 180% over injectors with worked bodies...

My goal is 1400-1500hp on #2 what do you reccommend for pistons? Looking to smash my old best time and want it to last a few passes. Going to try and have a spare built motor on deck.

Please explain and please PM me a price. Very interested and looking to buy pretty soon.

1285 dyno at H&S
http://youtu.be/6ZuH-gP0YQQ

6.7@109 in the 1/8th is my best, here is a clip of me racing a 1000hp dodge. For some reason i could run 6.7, 6.8 and 6.9 all at 109mph
http://youtu.be/dXlk-kdRF0g

I know what i want... been doing this for awhile. I was running 12s back in 2005 and 11s in 2006. Im looking at a few different pistons and yes i want forged. This will be my third full motor build in this truck and evey time i just go bigger and add more.

I want to hear from Fingers and get a price on what he reccommends. Please send me a PM.

By a "few" passes i mean i want it to last not run it 3-4 times and i need to tear it down again. I do drive it on the street in Vegas and kick a lot of $100,000 cars asses on the freeway. Fun town with lots of big money cars thinking they are fast:spit:

you asked, we just answered :D :hug:

1slowmax

The break is over
May 9, 2012
Sin City, NV
you asked, we just answered :D :hug:

Of course. Thanks for your opinions :thumb: I want to hear from the guys who designed them before i purchase. I dont know it all and nobody does so its just good to get as much advice as possible IMO.

Waiting for a reply or PM, i want to get this build back together:woott: