Oval Chamber Pistons

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I have several sets of 0.020" over piston blanks on the shelf ready for machining. Drop me a PM for a price. You will be pleased.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
FAQ:

Q: What compression ratio are these pistons?
A: The pistons are cut to order. Compression is selectable from 15.5:1 through 18:1.

Q: Are valve reliefs more money?
A: Yes.

Q: What are the pistons based off of?
A: I am using Mahle Race cast pistons for blanks and cut the custom oval bowl into these.

Q: Are these available in forged?
A: Mahle Forged are also available.

Q: What about wrist pins and rings?
A: They are included with the pistons.

Q: What is the lead time?
A: Piston blanks are kept in stock and can usually be turned around within a week. I outrun my supply from Mahle every once in a while. When this happens, there can be additional delays.

Q: How much HP will these handle?
A: To date, everything people have thrown at them. Almost everyone so far is running 600+ HP with Several 1000 HP engines. Time will tell, but everything is good so far.

Q: Why do engines running these pistons sound different?
A: I don't know for sure. I think it is because the one exhaust valve is slightly less covered by the bowl, but I really don't know.

Last edited:

SgtKilroy

'Merica!
Sep 30, 2009
SoCal
I've never actually wanted my truck to be broken, but I could sure use an excuse to get some of these.:thumb:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Here is a picture of my build currently under way...

Here is the motor I am putting together for White Lightning(my daily driver) and it features the Oval pistons 15.5:1 and some other cool features...:thumb:

Attachments

• pistons.jpg
    pistons.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 845
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 768
  • photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 703
  • crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 668
  • vt.jpg
    vt.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 733
  • head.jpg
    head.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 632

slipclutchms

May 24, 2010
What do you have up your sleeve for an intake??? I am curious ! Looks like it will be very sweet whatever it may be!:woott:

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
What are the beneifts of these pistons?

The best way I can explain them is that they change the way the power is made and transferred. The motor sounds different out the pipe and responds completely different compared to the current SoCal/Mahle offerings. I am not a big fan of forged pistons in street trucks so these(in my eyes)are a great alternative for making big horsepower and holding up to some serious abuse. We are running mid 9's with these pistons in Brett's C10 on the small tune and has made 10 passes at that power and has a few street miles on it as well. I am really looking forward to running these in my truck! Also doing a twin turbo built right now in the shop with these pistons so we will see how that one drives.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
What are the beneifts of these pistons?

After looking at many failures in other pistons and running a model of the pistons through a suite of computer analysis, I have adjusted the shape of the bowl to provide more material over the pin area where other pistons have failed and the computer shows the max stress is.

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQwKsgNYM9c&feature=my_liked_videos&list=LLXn_OZIzpAd7YmbxZRIyaxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk-2mH9yckE&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29aX3fRUbg&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjs0Kt-EHN8&feature=channel&list=UL

Here are a couple of videos of these pistons getting a workout, wish the sound qality was alittle better but this is the best I can do right now, I will get high quality of mine when it is up and running.

Dudgy

Runaway
Jun 1, 2010
Alberta
Interesting idea, gonna wait for some more feedback but might be getting these in the summer for the motor build if results are good :thumb:

Vsouth

Oct 6, 2008
I appreciate the replies. My motor will be torn down shortly. Had a failure of some kind. I know it wasn't the pistons, but I am always looking to build bigger and stronger if I have to go into the motor.

My truck gets used pretty hard. It went 50k with 300+ 1/4 mile passes at 800ish hp, and 20k of that was towing. So the general consensus is these are stronger than the normal mahle race cast piston?