new guy with an awd ss having traction issues

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
i have a 1/2 ton ss awd truck , im putting down about 600-650 awhp to the ground , i have a pretty aggresiive stall , its rated at 3k but will flash to 4k

running a centrifigal vortech blower on a built 6.0( now a 6.1, 6.0 bored .030 over) forged everything. 9.25 cr with about 16 psi.

running the stock motor (10.1-1 cr) with about 10 psi i could cut 1.6x 60 fts everytime. hardly any wheel spin. it ran 12 flats and one 11.9@ 109.9

now with my new set up i run 12.0's at about 112 but traction is almost gone in first gear. i need some advice on what i can do with the little 1/2 ton.

i will also be spraying a 150 shot of juice to it in 2nd and third gear once i find traction.

i recently did this

DSC01417-1.jpg

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01419-1.jpg

DSC01421.jpg

DSC01420.jpg

DSC01423.jpg

strapped the front end using limit straps for an offroad truck, it will limit the travel of th efront suspension on a launch so my frotn wont spin as much hopefully.

i was hoping to find an e locker from eaton but i got stuck with the weenie 8.25 front diff with no aftermarket what so ever, id like to swap to a 3/4 ton unit but it would involbe major bucks and work.

im looking for ideas to help me hook . i also have a set of 305/45/18 drag radials for 18x9.5 rims coming soon.

just getting them hot is hard without being able to do a awd burnout properly heating them.

looking forward to using some techinques you all have,

thanks to pat for informing me about this site.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
first off useuall withte diesel we find the limiting the fornt can cause problems and result ins brokern 1/2 shafts.

my question would be how is you rear set up? we normally drop the front as far down as possible and clamp the rear springs to lock them dam near solid

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
Maybe do the unthinkable.

Add a bit of weight to the rear. Or, transfer it there ie; the battery, a fuel cell, etc.

Slicks or Drag radials front and rear.

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
like 50lb or so by the tailgate

clamp the whole leave spring pack in the back or at caltrac back there

these cost me about 15 buck to make tottal

Attachments

• 0308081417.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 84

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
How exactly does the t-case on the awd trucks work? NP141 I think? Is it fixed torque split or does it vary? Maybe thats giving you some problems too..

drop the t bars all the way down, I assume you have cognito pitman/idler arm braces to prevent the draglink from twisting up and tires bowing in? When I clamp my springs, drop the bars down, I can do 1.7x-1.8x 60 foots on 32" all terrain's without any hopping around.

that sounds like a sweet truck you have..

ben

Bentley

Doesn't know $hit...
Mar 7, 2008
Under a big a$$ rock...
Get in touch with Arron Jones, hes the one from Reno that just had his 408 delivered this week. I got off the phone with him a few hours ago about some modifications that will help you out.

Otherwise just do some searching around this forum, I am sure you will find plenty of information!

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
well our transfer case is aa nvg 149, it works alot different than a 4wd

it splits the power 62 % to the rear and 38% to front.

i dont think ill brake a half shaft as im not making the kind of torqu you all are.

i know im making the most of the line with the mulitiplication of my frist gear and 4.10's

im working a deal with cal tracs right now. i will either do those or have a friend fab me some cnc'ed leaf srping clamps.

i was just wondering is there anythign else to be done to the front end ?

i beleive the 1/2 tons are different when it comes to tie rods end and all the steering system.

thanks for the comments on the truck here is a couple pics

ChasesSS-80.jpg

DSC01151.jpg

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
that thing is sweet. :cool:

see if you can get a video of the front tires when launching. Do they go all over the place? Does the steering wheel jerk back and forth when you launch?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
well our transfer case is aa nvg 149, it works alot different than a 4wd

it splits the power 62 % to the rear and 38% to front.

i dont think ill brake a half shaft as im not making the kind of torqu you all are.

i know im making the most of the line with the mulitiplication of my frist gear and 4.10's

im working a deal with cal tracs right now. i will either do those or have a friend fab me some cnc'ed leaf srping clamps.

i was just wondering is there anythign else to be done to the front end ?

i beleive the 1/2 tons are different when it comes to tie rods end and all the steering system.

thanks for the comments on the truck here is a couple pics

the front steering parts tie rods, center link, idler arm and pitnam arm are identical for all 1500-3500 trucks :(

@520ftlb (stock power LB7) that is capable of bending tierods ;)

i would def get a vid of you launching to get and idea want the fornt is doinng

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
travel of th efront suspension on a launch so my frotn wont spin as much hopefully.

i was hoping to find an e locker from eaton but i got stuck with the weenie 8.25 front diff with no aftermarket what so ever, id like to swap to a 3/4 ton unit but it would involbe major bucks and work.

im looking for ideas to help me hook . i also have a set of 305/45/18 drag radials for 18x9.5 rims coming soon.

just getting them hot is hard without being able to do a awd burnout properly heating them.

looking forward to using some techinques you all have,

thanks to pat for informing me about this site.

i just saw this.. AWD has a limit slip between F/R with no mechanical locking divice.. and open front and a locking rear. if you loose traction on the rear the rest of the power will go to the front. and spin the tire with the least amount of traction (see peg leg burnout). IMO i think you doing...

either couple thing can happen.. wait will the aftermarket gets something out.. or swap in a differ front axle

did some research.. there is currently NO one that make any locker/limited slip diff for the AAM 825..

Last edited:

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
malibu you are correct. i just dont understand how some are getting their 4wd/awd to hook. these front axles have been out for years , over 10 so i doubt anything will ever be available. i know eaton has made a e locker but wont sell me one since it was only for testing.

now im thinking if i can keep my weight transfer to a minumum it will help with the front loosing traction though.

and yes it does feel like a bit of both torque steer( not a whole lot but definately some) and alot of wheel spin . it almost feel like the truck get pigeon toed on the launch .

thanks for the comments on the trucks, it will be featured in truckin here in a couple months.

im just torn if the idler arm , tie rod parts will be worth the spending amount on them or if they wont even help.

does anyone know what is different from the 1/2 to to 3/4 ton front diff/suspension setup i bet its somethign that cant be swapped but how hard would it be?

Cornell

LBZ for life
Sep 11, 2006
Minnesota
Nice truck Chase. I think I've seen it on GMFS a couple times when Dylan posted up some detailing pictures of it. :D

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
malibu you are correct. i just dont understand how some are getting their 4wd/awd to hook. these front axles have been out for years , over 10 so i doubt anything will ever be available. i know eaton has made a e locker but wont sell me one since it was only for testing.

now im thinking if i can keep my weight transfer to a minumum it will help with the front loosing traction though.

and yes it does feel like a bit of both torque steer( not a whole lot but definately some) and alot of wheel spin . it almost feel like the truck get pigeon toed on the launch .

thanks for the comments on the trucks, it will be featured in truckin here in a couple months.

im just torn if the idler arm , tie rod parts will be worth the spending amount on them or if they wont even help.

does anyone know what is different from the 1/2 to to 3/4 ton front diff/suspension setup i bet its somethign that cant be swapped but how hard would it be?

tire rod sleave can be bought for ~100 bucks
the idler/pitnam brace are ~200 bucks from cognito

the 2500HD are AAM925 as for dimmension i dont know. but arb and detroit make lockers for them...
38/62 f/r tq split seams to say get some thing to hook on the rear end or traction back there...

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
how much sidewall do you have when launching at the track? Something on 20's with 4" of sidewall and a radial IIRC? Great looking and handling, not so good when you toss some HP at them though.:D

it's costly but perhaps try a MUCH taller sidewall, 6" or more. FYI-people have experienced issues with low pro front radials and slicks in the back. Current thinking is slicks all the way around, beware.

My thinking is a softer sidewall slows and somewhat reduces the "hit" at the connection point, tire and track. Jus my 2 pennies. Nice truck and good luck!!