new guy with an awd ss having traction issues

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
wow if they have a locker im sold. does anyone have an air locker? is there any way to have it engage , and disengage with lick a co2 carttridge?

just so i can turn out of the pits at the end of the strip.

btw i am running slicks all the way around. 18 x 9.5 rims just ordered (4) and 305/45/18

which has a good amount of side wall. and should hook . i was thinking heating them with blow torchs in the staging lanes lol.

but from your guys expereicne what is better cal tracs or leaf spring clamps or both?

i really am set of trying to break the record of 11.2 et with an ss. im sctually hoping to be the first in the 10.xx

ill be installing a cags soon , it will be somewhat bolt in except for the over head bar. so i can pull the rear seat and install the braces for the rear and the front driver shoulder to floor bar will also be bolt in.

btw im in so cal , riverside/corona area.

i am using hp tuners to tune, and i honestly have never tried to launch in 2wd it may be beneficial but i kind of doubt it. im shifitng from 1-2 at 45 mph and 6500 rpm.

and kat, honestly i need all the help i can get but with that set up really help me? im not the same as a diesel so it may be different circumstances. any chance in a partial sponsership. sending pm.

Last edited:

Mike

hmmm....
Feb 17, 2007
San Angelo, TX
Very nice truck. I like the way that thing hooks.

Pat or Kat, is this the same track you use? Seems to look familiar.

I've got some friends here locally using the HP tuners on LS's with great luck. I picked on them with EFI and they are now hooked. EFI was able to remove traction control completely. A few other minor tables were available with EFI, but not HP. As far as wtf is best? Not sure. Just a FWIW.

Last edited:

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
Chase,
Nice truck..... I never got to see any pictures of it, but remember the phone conversations about the fuel system. Glad you got everything together. Looks good.

hey lonnie, yeah your fuel set up works awesome, keeping around 75 pis all the way to psi boost , with the boost ref fpr so both pumps are working fine.

now i need to tune some fuel out becasue im running way rich and thinking im hurting power.

id like to 4 link my truck but im not sure if it is necessary yet

mick is your truck 2wd or 4wd?

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
The steering pieces will help you the same way they help us. You can either get a straight centerlink or brace the factory one. But when the factory one twists it throws off steering geometry and makes your front tires fight each other and hurts traction. Braces keep it from twisting and a straight one doesn't matter if it twists - it won't throw off the geometry. You are still running under 6" of sidewall with 305 45s.
I thought the rear of the SS was independent? Did you swap in a solid rear? If it is still independent - it doesn't have leaf springs and traction bars wouldn't work either. If you swap it to solid axle you should 4 link it and go with wider tires in the rear - just make sure they are exactly the same height as the front.

I would think with limiting straps, beefed up steering, and good tires you would be able to get traction easier and that if that stuff doesn't work then you should address the rear.

J Spruill

bringer of truth
Mar 30, 2008
if the limitng straps are to much it will cause the front end to loose traction and mess the launch up

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
no the sss , is the same as all 1500 trucks with the straight axle.

id like to 4 linkn it but i dont think im to that point yet.

so is the brace's or straight centerlink better?

whats the price difference?

i havent tried the limiting straps yet either. so i get to play with them next time out.

im just torn between cal tracs or making some leaf spring clamps.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
you can fab up a quick traction bars too, weld tabs off the bottom of the spring plate and off the frame and then get 4 rod ends and some tubing.

I actually researched it last night before I posted and found places saying the SS came with 2000 C5 geometry Independent Rear Suspension. Oh well the IRS is weak for the strip anyways, guys swap solid into cobras all the rime.

04chase

Mar 28, 2008
appreciate the input. traction bars are going to be last effort.

any info on this supposed front air locker for my truck , cant find anything in it.

SBCNX20

Aug 7, 2006
Central MA
Spring clamps helped my truck ALOT they seemed to settle down the launch a Ton. I swear you could feel the springs wrap before I did them. With that said, if I had money to burn I'd buy Caltracs.