L5P L5P Tuning

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Factory shifting strategy on the L5Ps is horrid. Could be other issues as well causing is.

Agreed... I’ve got towards 200k on it, and it’s done it since day one.. was hoping a TCM tune would take care of it. Never ran hot, just acts stupid.

Would love to tune it, but don’t feel like dropping the 4.5K on it. Especially if the trans won’t hold up to a tow tune...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SickLL7Crenshaw

Billy The Kid
Mar 10, 2013
Mexico
Agreed... I’ve got towards 200k on it, and it’s done it since day one.. was hoping a TCM tune would take care of it. Never ran hot, just acts stupid.

Would love to tune it, but don’t feel like dropping the 4.5K on it. Especially if the trans won’t hold up to a tow tune...

Simple EPC plug will help the line pressure issue, if it’s not already hurt.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Holy cow MaM you’re almost at 200k! Do we need to check your log books... it’s ok to take a day off every now and then lol
I’m curious if 1. You can stop the darn ticking noise at low speed driving
2. You can shut off all the equipment that continues to run after you shut the truck off
3. How much the stock short block can handle
I believe 1-2 are all emission related and therefore can be dealt with :thumb:
3 time will tell but I’d be willing to bet it can handle a lot of abuse
I know Wagler already has Rods so not sure if they already found that limit or just prepared

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Thanks, Mike... looks like I need to get one ordered...

Logbooks always look good, Hambone...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Good job Tom. Censor the members. Just like you used to complain about Dieselplace doing. You ever wonder why the forums are dying? Wonder why none of the knowledgeable people post anything anymore?

Forums need good knowledge members. Good knowledge members don’t need the forums. :) Let that sink in and see if you really want to piss off the people that know what’s going on.

If DuramaxDiesels.com is going to start censoring members then it just pulled the trigger and committed suicide. Have fun dealing with a bunch of know nothing idiots asking about what size tires you can fit with no lift. Because that’s all you’ll have left.

Put the posts back up or I will never EVER post here again. Have a nice evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the past we have just deleted posts from good threads that went way OT and not even bothered moving them unless it was a valid disagreement that was just OT for the thread it started in. This one is no different.

There is a whole area called smoke signals for that stuff where if it’s kept somewhat pg and civil we let it ride. If you call that censorship then you need to pick up a dictionary.

Carry on with the L5P talk folks.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Anyone else hear of pushrod failures and lots of bad turbos?

No on the Pushrods but if they are failing it’s something that can be prevented...
I know a lot of people let their trucks go way over the typical service interval which is hard on the valve train and the motor in general
Now that tolerances are getting tighter and motors running hotter it’s best to keep that oil clean!
Maybe the rockers need adjusted?

Turbo failures don’t surprise me a bit
If you open up the intake and look inside they are filthy
The stock air filter does a terrible job at filtering out the fine dust particles
If it wasn’t a company truck first thing I’d do is get an aftermarket intake on
This was only 2k on the odometer IMG_2294.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2294.jpg
    IMG_2294.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 115

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Is it possible they are short filled on oil or using sub par oil from the factory?

I guess the good thing is that it would all be covered by the warranty

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Most reports I could find say it was #6, but I found 1 post on DF about #8. Most saud they noticed engine noise increase slightly before it started missing, so it could be as simple as an adjuster backing off.

1thackattack

Diesel enthusiast
Apr 7, 2017
No on the Pushrods but if they are failing it’s something that can be prevented...
I know a lot of people let their trucks go way over the typical service interval which is hard on the valve train and the motor in general
Now that tolerances are getting tighter and motors running hotter it’s best to keep that oil clean!
Maybe the rockers need adjusted?

Turbo failures don’t surprise me a bit
If you open up the intake and look inside they are filthy
The stock air filter does a terrible job at filtering out the fine dust particles
If it wasn’t a company truck first thing I’d do is get an aftermarket intake on
This was only 2k on the odometer View attachment 48613

Is it possible that, residue could be buildup from the pcv system? I noticed the same thing on mine, and when I wiped it off it seemed more like an oil type residue rather then dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
There’s definitely build up there from the PCV system. It noticeably starts where the PCV is introduced in the intake horn. I’d say it’s substantially less than any of the previous platforms though, you know how oily the boot on the intercooler pipe became after some time. There’s nothing noticeable on the exterior of the boots, turbo, or intercooler pipe so far.

IRC, the L5P has a new Venturi type separator in the PCV.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I'd bet the ram air is the source of dirt injestion. Maybe they had a tool out of spec in the assembly process and that's why push rods are becoming an issuse now. I think the turbos are just cooking themselves with the cat bolted to them they never get to cool off at all, the cat just holds the heat. I'd bet deleted they will not have as many turbo failures.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal

What do you consider "way over" the service interval? Many people I've talked to are surprised when they hear the Duramax has a typical 10k oil change interval.

Seems more are apt to do them earlier then later

kiwilml

Nov 4, 2015
I'd bet the ram air is the source of dirt injestion. Maybe they had a tool out of spec in the assembly process and that's why push rods are becoming an issuse now. I think the turbos are just cooking themselves with the cat bolted to them they never get to cool off at all, the cat just holds the heat. I'd bet deleted they will not have as many turbo failures.
But I would think that a lot of the people who delete L5p's are probably going to leave the cat in there since it's a little more difficult to remove..

So if the turbos are getting hot because of the cat seems like it might be worse with more power..?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
If heat is the only thing killing turbos, mine would be dead a few times over... I’ve sustained some pretty high temps pulling into headwinds for hours...

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
I’d be really interested I seeing a diagnosis of injectors that failed and were replaced. I got a few replaced under warranty, got another one of the same ones replaced under warranty, and that same one was giving me issues a third time. Ended up replacing all the connectors on the wiring harness, since they had black residue on them, same as the LLY did when it arced. Haven’t had any injector issues since 70k ago when the dealer wanted to replace the injector the 3rd time.