L5P L5P Tuning

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
If heat is the only thing killing turbos, mine would be dead a few times over... I’ve sustained some pretty high temps pulling into headwinds for hours...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, maybe it's just injestion and erosion becomes an issue, how's your inducer look? Any erosion or pitting?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
Looks good all the way around, other than being dirty...

f50eef175ef25c3dffcd5bbd5157df31.jpg

205110d97108dd031e9fe4d84ef6333f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Well banks is going to do a breaking point on the L5p beginning of the year!
Seeing a lot more videos of tuned trucks and built trans wrecking tires but no 1/4 :mad:
Seems like every video is some frat boy and all about the BRO check out my 12x24’s:roflmao:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Anybody know what's actually failing in them? I just hear replacement, no details?

A buddy of mine that works for a dealer is saying that they are still seeing filter issues. Something about them not sealing right?

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
A buddy of mine that works for a dealer is saying that they are still seeing filter issues. Something about them not sealing right?

Sh.it the 5.5 inch boot that connects to my turbo has never had a clamp. The seal isnt very tight either. Ive even got some holes in my intake tube. If it was a filter issue id be incredibly surprised or maybe ive just been very lucky?

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well for one you don’t get much dirt in the intake sitting in the driveway and two not much sand and heavy dust is found where you live compared to say the Midwest or Texas or up where I am.

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
So I have a question for you smart people. I just saw that merchant just released the line pressure mod that you put on the end of the solenoid to max out the line pressure. I have heard of doing this for the lmls and they said in the discription you can do it for the L5P also. Does this do the same thing as a tcm tune or does a tcm tune do more then just max out line pressure?

Chavez91

People Go Outside?
May 30, 2012
Heh. Wouldn't you like to know
So I have a question for you smart people. I just saw that merchant just released the line pressure mod that you put on the end of the solenoid to max out the line pressure. I have heard of doing this for the lmls and they said in the discription you can do it for the L5P also. Does this do the same thing as a tcm tune or does a tcm tune do more then just max out line pressure?

Same as TCM Tune...

Kunz111

Jan 16, 2016
Soooo then why do people spend the money on getting the tcm unlocked, buying the shit ton of credits, and for the tcm tune when you can buy a 50 dollar part, drop a pan that has a reusable gasket and some tranny fluid?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Soooo then why do people spend the money on getting the tcm unlocked, buying the shit ton of credits, and for the tcm tune when you can buy a 50 dollar part, drop a pan that has a reusable gasket and some tranny fluid?
Some people want an altered shift strategy, not just a pressure mod. Depends on what you're looking for. Like why pay the $5-10k to tune a L5P when you can buy a used Corvette that'll be faster than a tune-only L5P? If you have to ask, it's not the product you're looking for. I don't personally see the value proposition there, yet they sell plenty.

What makes sense for one person and situation doesn't always make sense for every person and situation.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
There’s more too it than just a shift strategy when you buy a trans tune. This is why mike has said he doesn’t like building trans for people with tcm tunes as he doesn’t know what’s in there that may cause issues. If one is just changing shift points then maybe that’s acceptable I dunno what his thoughts are on that. This is the only changes I’ve ever made to any of my trucks to avoid other issues. Doing this and a dummy solenoid are the best choices imo.

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Hurray!
Competition drives Innovation... and cost :roflmao:
Now next question will be go for a ‘19 or get the new 10speed

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
People are all game to delete one until they see the price tag. Also only a couple places offering tuning. Trying to get details on what needs to go is hard. I talked with a buddy that deleted one. Said it was a pain. Even the urea tank can't be removed yet without a harness.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
People are all game to delete one until they see the price tag. Also only a couple places offering tuning. Trying to get details on what needs to go is hard. I talked with a buddy that deleted one. Said it was a pain. Even the urea tank can't be removed yet without a harness.

Motor ops delete let’s you yank all that junk out.