L5P L5P Tuning

kubitza123

Sep 19, 2016
Texas
Buying a truck without a LP5 would be the easiest solution. If the bottom end can't handle 700+hp in a heavy truck I don't see any reason to own it over a older one unless you want latest and greatest with emissions.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
is the allison tunable? does it use the same TCM as the LML?

also, is there a possibility of using an LMM ecm (i suspect the LML ecm's piezo controls wouldn't be able to run solenoid injectors) on the LP5 engine, maybe cut and splice in the LMM ecm connectors, or repinning? obviously this wouldn't be practical for the daily driver but the guy who wants to build up the 2000 HP sled puller...

i would think the communication protocols would be the same between the two ecms but not my area of expertise.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
haha, i stopped reading at "electric jet"

so how does one tow their 5th wheel with one of those things?

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
lol that's exactly what I was thinking!
Sure the wife and I can go to the lake and back but how am I going to tow my welding rig behind it:roflmao:

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
It's all fun and games until you get into a fender bender and fall out of the sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackLTZ

May 6, 2016
South Texas!
I think there will be a tune soon, that's what they would say about the lml and they did it. I keep on seeing more and more l5p down where I am from,

dezl

Oct 26, 2009
as its been said there is too much money on the table for companies like ATP, PPEI to figure the tuning out. These guys are mad scientist and will get in done.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
The mad scientist themselves are who is saying it's not possible...:(

NSA encryption software won't be cracked by the diesel performance industry so go buy a 16 if you want the new body style with a tune...

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
I think there will be a tune soon, that's what they would say about the lml and they did it. I keep on seeing more and more l5p down where I am from,

When were people saying the lml wouldn't be tuned? People keep saying the lml was said to be untuneable which is not what was said. The lml was tuneable from the get go, the problem was legally obtaining a stock calibration file for it to modify. Efilive said from the get go how to read them, even showed maps of them early on, but said they wouldn't offer tuning for them because of the process required to obtain the file. Then they're stance changed once enough tuners got together and said they would obtain the tune filed if efilive would map them, and the rest is history.

With the l5p they along with several other companies have said they cannot crack them to obtain the tune file. And even if you obtain the file, you then still have to have the ability to satisfy the encryption so the ecm will even accept the tune file. And if the tune file isn't genuine GM written with there signatures, it won't be able to flashed in even if you meet everything else.

With vehicles being linked to the world wide web and people out the hacking into cars to take them over, you can expect to see this kind of security put in place. If it gets cracked anytime soon, it will be done with GM's blessing, that's the only way that makes any sense.

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
When were people saying the lml wouldn't be tuned? People keep saying the lml was said to be untuneable which is not what was said. The lml was tuneable from the get go, the problem was legally obtaining a stock calibration file for it to modify. Efilive said from the get go how to read them, even showed maps of them early on, but said they wouldn't offer tuning for them because of the process required to obtain the file. Then they're stance changed once enough tuners got together and said they would obtain the tune filed if efilive would map them, and the rest is history.

With the l5p they along with several other companies have said they cannot crack them to obtain the tune file. And even if you obtain the file, you then still have to have the ability to satisfy the encryption so the ecm will even accept the tune file. And if the tune file isn't genuine GM written with there signatures, it won't be able to flashed in even if you meet everything else.

With vehicles being linked to the world wide web and people out the hacking into cars to take them over, you can expect to see this kind of security put in place. If it gets cracked anytime soon, it will be done with GM's blessing, that's the only way that makes any sense.

I believe Banks will release something in the future as they have been helping with development of the l5p, but their tuning was awful on my lmm and it will never defeat emmissions...

MAXX IT OUT

<<<IT WORKS
Mar 1, 2013
Des Moines, Iowa

I have a feeling that we will not be dealing with a GM base tune when/IF they start tuning the LP5. I feel someone will come up with a way to wipe the ECU completely clean and create a base file from scratch, that way you do not have to worry about encryption or "stealing data/technology" deal that OE's started screaming about before. After that is accomplished, with that much R and D done, we most likely will start seeing Plug and Play aftermarket ECU's like most Gas stuff has been doing for years.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
The FERM is correct on the LML history, it was always in the cards just chosen not to be pursued until the economics changed that view. On the L5P, different story. I'm thinking an inline harness box of some sort may be possible. Kind of like the old days of the Pressure boxes, Van Aaken, Edge, etc.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
One thing I forsee is that if delete tuning does come out it won't be cheap. We have 17 ford's at work that never ever will be driven off site or even registered that have delete tuning and they are the slowest spooling turds I have ever seen. Hopefully when L5P comes out they aren't the same.