L5P L5P Tuning

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Look at the big picture. If they are using the same security software as Apple or Video games I doubt it's gonna happen. Look at how many nerds are into hacking that type of crap. Only way I see it happening is foolers of some sort.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I read somewhere here, (not sure where now) that technology is advancing so fast that what seems impossible to crack today will be child's play in a few weeks.. If that's really true it seems like there should be full delete tuning in the future.. Or now even, it's been 9 months..

We will start bets, 30:1 if it's cracked in sept and the odds drop 25:1 in October lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpsoldier

That just happened!
Mar 10, 2010
In my House
I would love to pick one up and get that thing tuned like a bad techno song and go to the track every weekend lol

they're monsters on the street or strip, 2.1s 0-60mph is just insane the dodge demon is 2.3 stock form of course.

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
they're monsters on the street or strip, 2.1s 0-60mph is just insane the dodge demon is 2.3 stock form of course.

I've seen a lot of videos of them running away from mustangs!
I wonder how long it will be til they are banned without a cage

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
there is alot of money left on the table for tuning these trucks as well as others if Dodge and Ford follow suit. the tuning will cost you more than it does now but i can bet people are putting some cost into R&D to be able to tune this ECM. too many brains out there that will let this beat them :D

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
If it was engineered, it can be reverse engineered. Only question is how long and how much is it going to cost.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
This was just posted over at DP. I realize it's DmaxTuner and Banks, but the information they are seeing might be helpful:

[YOUTUBE]owjZkPhSlbE&[/YOUTUBE]

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
lol that's the link I posted first that started this whole thread ;)

I remember reading awhile back on here someone mentioning the idea of a hybrid diesel/electric setup:confused:
In theory that would be one gnarly ride:thumb:

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
lol that's the link I posted first that started this whole thread ;)

I remember reading awhile back on here someone mentioning the idea of a hybrid diesel/electric setup:confused:
In theory that would be one gnarly ride:thumb:

It's more than an idea. Big name OEMs have been testing for years.

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
I want a nuclear powered truck. All the tq of a steam engine would be sweet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
I wouldn't be surprised to see a tune Cost $1500+
A shop here in town tunes and builds up exotic cars and his GTR tunes cost $1500+

GMC_2002_Dmax

The Still Master
Just Google SHA encryption.

It was explained to me that each segment of the code ( LML Have 9 segments as an example ) is locked down individually, so each and every section of the code is locked up and them the whole ecm is locked with a SHA encryption............NSA type stuff.

The boot pin is also protected with a 64 bit encryption/password and the whole thing requires a digital signature to allow it to accept the flash.

It was locked down due to hacking over the air updates, its rumored GM is going to over the air updates via the built in WIFI, so anything can be updated easily and without cost to GM with a dealer visit.

The rumor is that even if you get the ecm code, its encrypted in the flash and the ecm decrypts it in the fly !!!!

This is what is being thrown around by those who have been trying to get into it, some have spent enormous time and resources and have not been successful.

:(

FROGMAN524

Jul 17, 2010
So the moral of the story is that if you want to tune a Duramax, get a LML or earlier because L5P ain't happening?

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Just Google SHA encryption.

It was explained to me that each segment of the code ( LML Have 9 segments as an example ) is locked down individually, so each and every section of the code is locked up and them the whole ecm is locked with a SHA encryption............NSA type stuff.

The boot pin is also protected with a 64 bit encryption/password and the whole thing requires a digital signature to allow it to accept the flash.

It was locked down due to hacking over the air updates, its rumored GM is going to over the air updates via the built in WIFI, so anything can be updated easily and without cost to GM with a dealer visit.

The rumor is that even if you get the ecm code, its encrypted in the flash and the ecm decrypts it in the fly !!!!

This is what is being thrown around by those who have been trying to get into it, some have spent enormous time and resources and have not been successful.

:(

There is always a thread of hope!:D
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pcwo...sing-sha1-it-s-now-completely-unsafe.amp.html

I've come to the conclusion that I would just buy a '16 and be happy lol

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
I think at this point, if you want a L5P, assume it will be stock tune for a while, if not forever. There is always the option of going to an aftermarket ECU, but that will lose some integration with the rest of the truck.

If there is enough demand (number of people who would pay a lot for a tune), someone will break the stock ECU or setup an aftermarket ECU to work nicely with the rest of the truck. But until there are a ton of L5P's on the road, we might not see much available.

It looks like car ECUs are now using something like Secure Boot on PCs. If so, breaking it might be impossible, but there are always ways around it. The XBox 360 used the same kind of crypto, and people mod those all the time. It is just harder to do, and will probably require taking your ECU apart (or sending it off).