L5P emmisions question

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado
is there a California emissions version of the L5P vs a federal? reason i ask is my build list has a couple of Codes...

NC7 federal emission override

and

NUK emission system california

thanks

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Federal emissions override is probably for Mexico and everywhere else. CA emissions is more than likely just for US and Canada/ Eastern Europe.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Sorry guys, its nothing special.

Literally all it is is the DTC reporting tables are slightly modified for which codes turn on a check engine light, and how many times a diagnostic must fail before setting a code.

Its not a "less emissions" truck. Its not a mexico truck (they dont even sell duramax's in mexico, or europe for that matter lol). Its not a special government truck. Its not an EMS truck.

Ben

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach

Literally all it is is the DTC reporting tables are slightly modified for which codes turn on a check engine light, and how many times a diagnostic must fail before setting a code.

Its not a "less emissions" truck. Its not a mexico truck (they dont even sell duramax's in mexico, or europe for that matter lol). Its not a special government truck. Its not an EMS truck.

Ben

So GM dosent sell trucks without dpf in Mexico and Central America like Ford does?

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado

Ben
Good to know, I'm ok with nothing special as long as it's not a choked up version. Thanks Ben:thumb:

So GM dosent sell trucks without dpf in Mexico and Central America like Ford does?
What? That's a thing?? Didn't know that

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
What? That's a thing?? Didn't know that

Thats how people are deleting the 2017 Powerstrokes...some tuner got ahold of the Ford mexican/LAAM ECM tune...and now they're selling it as their own for a ton of money (real slick move, assholes).

Like the L5P ECM, the 2017+ Ford ECM requires tune files to be RSA-signed by the manufacturer before the ECM will accept it. So what that means is you can only flash in files that are made by Ford (or GM).

Thats why the 2017 ford emissions delete "tunes" have no extra power added, just deleted emissions. Because its a 100% factory Ford file, it has the proper signature on it, so the ECM has no problem accepting it.

But its so hack...first of all, total dick move making tons of money off of something that you literally have *zero* time/effort into making.

Second of all, ive heard some people say it actually runs worse and is a little less responsive than the regular US/Canada tune.

And thirdly, ive heard of multiple people having issues with check engine lights etc, because of slightly different hardware/piping on the actual Mexican/LAAM trucks....so when flashed with the Mexican tune, sure it deletes emissions, but the ECM also sees some other things (US/canada hard parts) amiss...and can set codes. And NO you cant "shut the codes off" because, again, the ECM will ONLY accept a factory-authorized file.

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The only way the aftermarket is going to be able to get modified tunes into an L5P is if someone on the inside at GM Powertrain has sticky fingers and wants to make a fast couple of bucks.

Its not about being a smart talented "hacker" anymore. Its not about truly reverse engineering stuff the hard way. This shit is so complex today and the ECM's are so smart that it would take probably 100+ years to actually brute-force the algorithm.

Nowadays its purely just who has a big enough checkbook, and who is lucky/clever enough find connections at GM.

So if/when someone does publicly release L5P tuning, dont congratulate them, dont hail them as some hacker genius sent from tuning god heaven, and dont think for a second they did it "the hard way/from scratch". But do be sure to thank them for dropping the initial cash investment on stolen information!! :D :rolleyes:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The only way the aftermarket is going to be able to get modified tunes into an L5P is if someone on the inside at GM Powertrain has sticky fingers and wants to make a fast couple of bucks.

Its not about being a smart talented "hacker" anymore. Its not about truly reverse engineering stuff the hard way. This shit is so complex today and the ECM's are so smart that it would take probably 100+ years to actually brute-force the algorithm.

Nowadays its purely just who has a big enough checkbook, and who is lucky/clever enough find connections at GM.

So if/when someone does publicly release L5P tuning, dont congratulate them, dont hail them as some hacker genius sent from tuning god heaven, and dont think for a second they did it "the hard way/from scratch". But do be sure to thank them for dropping the initial cash investment on stolen information!! :D :rolleyes:
Way to rain on everyone's parade! :roflmao:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Back to the days of water/Meth, crack pipes and stacking foolers I guess for the L5P.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Ben, have you had your morning coffee yet? I'm usually cranky until I have my morning cup of coffee to. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NinjaMax

WTF!
Oct 3, 2012
Severance, Colorado

This hasn't always been the case has it? were earlier simpler ECM's reverse engineered? What was the process for previous years that made them so different? is the L5P ECM a completely different animal? Im ok with a simple answer lol...;)

how about i ask a million questions

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I can see it now, L5P FS 10,000mi. With Smarty stacked with Banks stacked with Superchips. Will trade for LB7 or 12 Valve plus cash on your end. :roflmao: