L5P emmisions question

duramaxdiesel

Dmax Nut
Oct 23, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Haha! Wow Ben, you answered almost all my questions tuning related to the L5P:D Even some I didn't think to ask.

I couldn't believe it when I saw a deleted 2017 Power Stroke. Thought it was odd that when he snapped the throttle there was no smoke. He said it was tuned. I guess it was only deleted. Honestly, I'd even take that for a start when the time comes for a new L5P.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Back to the days of water/Method, crack pipes and stacking foolers I guess for the L5P.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Nowadays, the ECM's are smart enough to detect if the engine is actually making more torque than it should.....and it will go into limp mode.

So harness boxes and other power adders are out too.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Not sure why everyones immediate knee-jerk reaction is MUST DELETE DELETE!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAHHHHH.

They have a warranty...and the amount of people ive seen complaining about L5P emissions issues is far FAR less than the people complaining about other random glitches like shifting, ghost throttle, etc. Its too early to cry fowl on the L5P emissions system.

Yes, I get it, you haul trailers 24/7/365 across the Pacific ocean and cant afford downtime.....but honestly, I think the emissions system on the L5P has a lot of improvements over the LML system. The only complaints Ive seen are some people report higher DEF usage (you bought a $65k truck, threw $4k worth of american forces on it, and whine about a $15 DEF fill up?)

(and yes, I also know you have 47,268 friends with L5P's and every single one of them had the entire emissions system fail within 6 miles of owning the truck)

And finally, if you look at the Ford websites/forums, the guys running around with the stupid Mexico tune are actually having more problems than the 100% stock guys lol.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Oh I'm well aware of my crank breaking, but I also know how gutless feeling this truck was in stock form. You know nothing is as fun when it's stock Ben.

idk, stock L5P's arent slow I dont think.

Im not 18 anymore so I no longer drive like a dickhead and no longer care about 500hp. I think Ive just gotten bored of this whole industry/truck performance. Im tired of breaking crap/wondering whats gonna go wrong next, and driving loud, smelly, unreliable, rattly jalopys.

Ive had my LML for almost 2 years and it is SO feaking nice and refreshing driving a silent, smooth, non-smelly, reliable truck. Yes, I said reliable. It has 125k miles on it and has never given me a single issue. No DEF warnings (other than when I have to fill it), no "continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" messages, no check engine lights.

125k miles on my LLY, I was on my third engine, 2nd set of front wheel bearings and brakes, and had misc drips here and there, etc. (ok yes, sometimes things happen and start leaking when swapping engines, but thats besides the point).

Some day if/when I have money, maybe Ill build a dedicated race/toy truck for grins. But a built/modded daily driver that I take on long trips etc? Screw that.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Im not 18 anymore so I no longer drive like a dickhead and no longer care about 500hp. I think Ive just gotten bored of this whole industry/truck performance. Im tired of breaking crap/wondering whats gonna go wrong next, and driving loud, smelly, unreliable, rattly jalopys.

Ive had my LML for almost 2 years and it is SO feaking nice and refreshing driving a silent, smooth, non-smelly, reliable truck. Yes, I said reliable. It has 125k miles on it and has never given me a single issue. No DEF warnings (other than when I have to fill it), no "continue driving, cleaning exhaust filter" messages, no check engine lights.

125k miles on my LLY, I was on my third engine, 2nd set of front wheel bearings and brakes, and had misc drips here and there, etc. (ok yes, sometimes things happen and start leaking when swapping engines, but thats besides the point).

Some day if/when I have money, maybe Ill build a dedicated race/toy truck for grins. But a built/modded daily driver that I take on long trips etc? Screw that.

i dont know, i thoroughly enjoy mine :D

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007

I don't disagree with everything your saying. So don't take this wrong.

But the truck I drive every single day is a 2005 LLY, has 145,000 miles on it, original engine including head bolts, transmission was built 90K ago, has twins, and 35% over injectors. It gets great fuel mileage, doesn't rattle, doesn't smoke unless you floor it from idle, doesn't leak a drop of anything, has never once let me down, and has a good bit more then 500RWHP.

If things are done correctly, modified trucks can be just as, and most times MORE reliable then stock trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

FSUwelder1212

Oct 18, 2012
Yes, I get it, you haul trailers 24/7/365 across the Pacific ocean and cant afford downtime.....but honestly, I think the emissions system on the L5P has a lot of improvements over the LML system. The only complaints Ive seen are some people report higher DEF usage (you bought a $65k truck, threw $4k worth of american forces on it, and whine about a $15 DEF fill up?)

(and yes, I also know you have 47,268 friends with L5P's and every single one of them had the entire emissions system fail within 6 miles of owning the truck)

And finally, if you look at the Ford websites/forums, the guys running around with the stupid Mexico tune are actually having more problems than the 100% stock guys lol.

LMAO this is my favorite post on a forum ever, everything is so true...

Hambone

Always learning
Jan 24, 2016
Florida
Not sure why everyones immediate knee-jerk reaction is MUST DELETE DELETE!!!!!!!!!!! WAAAAHHHHH.

They have a warranty...and the amount of people ive seen complaining about L5P emissions issues is far FAR less than the people complaining about other random glitches like shifting, ghost throttle, etc. Its too early to cry fowl on the L5P emissions system.

Should of Bought a Cummins! You can make 800hp on stock motor and get 25mpg with 35's towing 15k running 80:rofl:

On a serious note though thanks for the great info Ben:thumb:
Someone will end up with a backdoor code at some point just because there is to much money to be made.
I do thoroughly enjoy the L5p platform and the realiabilty it has shown so far!
Last time I took my Lly on a long trip it left me stranded in a autozone parking lot and cost be 4 hours on my trip :(

oscyjack

May 7, 2016
Northeast
I bought an LMM cuz I wanted
To fool around building it.

If I got an l5p I'd have no issues keeping it stock for a while. Regardless of any trans pacific hauls ;):roflmao:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
I gave up and just bought a gasser to mod. Much cheaper and just as fun. Well almost... Lol...

I love driving my stock 16, it's almost silent, I can jump on it and not spew smoke and it's still got tons of power. I'm going to wait a couple years before I jump into an l5p, I've heard of changes coming and I know they are having issues with emissions sensors...

rgullett83

Oct 27, 2008
Illinois

What about this one...
68db4cb90a4002cc9186d0bedb3bec0a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk