<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
The sharp decrease in deaths (according to the curve) looks to start around ~2007ish...right when ESC, lane departure warning, blind spot alert, and other things started to become in widespread use.

:mindblown:

Ben

:rolleyes:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
:smellslike:
In 2012 it went up 2.6% so I fail to see how this is relative to any of those safety devices. Simply put look at the years it dropped. Always at an economic downturn or due to a war. 2012 was a banner year in the Oil and Gas industry in North America. Oil and gas crapped the bed early '80's, deaths dropped, 2007/2008 same thing. More people unemployed, fewer people driving to rigs or for the oil and gas industry on the whole. I bet you compare the drops in death to the unemployment rate you would see a comparative pattern.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
I'm not going to get into this argument but I do have a comment.
The second day I had my LML I was on the freeway in the second to the fastest lane doing 80mph. A woman in a small Toyota was in the fast lane to my left about 1 to 2 cars ahead of me when she decided to cut me off and head for the off ramp. I almost shit.
I slammed the brakes on and swerved to the left watching an on coming car coming up on my left in the fast lane and I was thinking massive wreck and probably I was going to kill the woman cutting me off. The brakes in the LML did their job, the Stabilitrack allowed me to go around the woman and cut back right to avoid the on coming car and nothing further happened except for a lot of horn blowing.
I think of myself as a great driver with quick reflexes, but the anti-lock brakes and the Stabilitrack played a big part. I do not believe for 1 minute I could have pulled this off in my LB7. So, I'll keep my gadgets turned on until I want to mess around a little and then turn them right back on for serious hiway driving.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think your selling yourself short Mike LOL.

I've never had it kick in on dry or just wet pavement, but from my experience, stabilitrak has almost put me in the ditch more than once on ice and snow because I can anticipate the road and road conditions better and faster. Especially offroad. Computers can't do that as well or as fast so when I make a sudden change to set up for a corner or hill, I've had the shit kick in part way through, throw my rhythm off and put me somewhere or in a direction I do not want to be going. I suppose the crash avoidance I guess could be handy in all situations. But the rest of it is all bells and whistles I really don't need or want to pay for. Not knocking those that like or use it. Just my opinion and feelings.

chrisuns

Sep 11, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I enjoy stabilitrac and all ESC programs. I even think it is a great idea to re-enable the system above 35mph like the 15+ do - there is NO reason to drive around with it off at h/w speeds for 99.9% of drivers.
People that want to turn it off think they're faster and better reacting than the system, that isn't true. - Nor do I want to be riding in a vehicle with someone who thinks they are a hero and can get out of any situation. Sorry, but life happens, people get distracted, dazed, small mistake, etc.; and those system help save lives period.

Look up single vehicle accidents or roll-over rates. That's people going home to their families because of these safety systems.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ok back on topic, my fault. :D

The T87 TCM is on parts restriction from GM.

But Ross (meyers, EFILive) was able to get his hands on one, and has successfully read out the calibration from one and flashed one. :cool:

Albeit it was an 8L90-calibrated T87, not an Allison calibration. But he was able to read/flash to it. No mapping support, and he hasnt even looked into mapping support yet. But he did say that it is running all-GM software, even though the hardware (Hitachi) is Japanese. Which is a great thing for them, because GM software is what he knows best and has the most experienced with...and from what he has said, is way more logical and easier to work with than foreign software (IE, Bosch on the 2006+ Duramax ECM's).

See, where a controller is designed/made doesnt really have anything to do with how "hard" or "easy" it is to crack. Its all about what software is in it. With any electronic control unit (whether its an ECM or a heated seat module), GM can choose to either write their own OS/software 100% from scratch, or rely on a "base tune/software" from the hardware manufacturer, and then merely tune it to their specification/application.

From my understanding, thats what GM did on the 2006+ Duramax ECM's....Bosch supplies all of the base software, operating system, etc..and then gives GM an EFILive-ish type program that GM can use to write the engine operation calibration and parameters. Kinda like how Microsoft makes Windows, the base operating system, and then other companies write their programs to work on top of the base windows OS.

But when GM does everything 100% from scratch to their specifications, it makes things a lot easier and more logical for Ross to understand, because he has been working with "GM's style" for 10+ years.

Which is a good thing for the T87...he will probably be able to figure it out and break it down comparatively quickly than if it was someone elses' foreign software that was merely just tweaked by GM to work with the 8L90/Allison.

I would assume it was more cost-effective for GM to start using their own controllers for the Allison, rather than relying on Allison for the base TCM hardware...but up until the 8L90, GM didnt have an "in house" transmission controller that was capable of running an Allison...so with the 8L90, they had to design a whole new controller for that, and probably said "hey lets make this thing be able to work for the Allison too, so we dont have to keep buying TCM's from Allison, and only have to stock/support one TCM now for all truck/SUV transmissions, regardless of if its a Hydramatic trans, or an Allison trans".

That doesnt mean Ross wants people to start bugging him about 2015.5+ Allison support though!!!! :rofl:

Just have to be patient.

Ben

Veikra

Dec 19, 2011
Montreal, Canada
steering is safety number one... lane departure might cause you to lose the ability to choose the lesser impact, such as hitting a snowdrift instead of a jaywalking idiot. And yes , some system will stop you from actually turning, electric power steering. I swear it's gonna be effective agaisnt independant journalism.

A good abs system, as ive seen in some but not all cars works pretty good and actually does the opposite, allowing you MORE choice and control

You cannot put all driving aids in the same boat.

plus if its wasnt from the big lcd and capacitive touch button needing you to look at the control to make a change (hello cadillac and tesla etc) , they might be less distraction.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

But let's talk transmission now :hug:

Hnkstang50

Mar 28, 2016
NJ
On the car manufacturer I work on the car can only steer something minor like 5 degrees of correction and the system stops with any driver input. I doubt any car manufacturer would make a system that would cause dangerous situations.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
On the car manufacturer I work on the car can only steer something minor like 5 degrees of correction and the system stops with any driver input. I doubt any car manufacturer would make a system that would cause dangerous situations.

Correct.

The other guy is totally wrong, even the Tesla, which is currently the highest automation level (autonomous level 2-3) in production, will disable autopilot the instant the driver applies any sort of deliberate steering input.

WVRigrat05

Wound for sound
Jan 1, 2011
French Creek, West Virginia
Correct.

The other guy is totally wrong, even the Tesla, which is currently the highest automation level (autonomous level 2-3) in production, will disable autopilot the instant the driver applies any sort of deliberate steering input.

The only vehicle I know that actually ripped the wheel out of your hand was a guys tundra at the rig, this was in 2007 so the truck was an 2005-2006.

If you took a turn too fast it would hit the brakes and redirect the wheel the opposite direction, and hard.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
The only vehicle I know that actually ripped the wheel out of your hand was a guys tundra at the rig, this was in 2007 so the truck was an 2005-2006.

If you took a turn too fast it would hit the brakes and redirect the wheel the opposite direction, and hard.

That's terrifying. I'd rip that sob system out asap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk